Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Some disappointments on my new nx300h f sport

Hi All,

Picked up my new NX300h F sport last month and really love it! However, a few things I really do not like at the moment;

1. ML sound system. 
The sound system is for me a real disappointment. It just sounds flat, with no bass at all at low volumes. If you crank it up it sounds better but much too loud. Already played around with lows/mids/highs and fader. I can imagine it sounds great for classical music, but that's not my cup of tea...

2. Navigation screen flicker.
It looks like the refresh rate of the center navigation screen is off. I can really see a screen flicker that is starting to annoy me. When the car is in night mode, and the colors turn to night blue, it seems to disappear. 

3. Transition electric to petrol
My previous car was a CT200h and felt that the transition from full electric to petrol was much smoother. Probably this will be better when the car has some more miles on the clock.  

I am getting around 33mpg at the moment on regular fuel (50% highway - 50% city), which I honestly think is not that bad for such a heavy car. 

Our experience with two NX models is:

1. I played around with the ML system settings and eventually reverted to the defaults as these seem to give the best balance. It is true to say that I don't listen to much rock/pop/rap at my advanced age...

2. We have no trace of flicker at all. This may be a fault.

3. The transition to "engine on" is virtually unnoticeable and has been like this from new.

4. On your mix of roads you should be getting more like 38 - 40 mpg (assuming UK gallons and temperatures of 10 - 15 degC).

27 minutes ago, malcolmw said:

It is true to say that I don't listen to much rock... at my advanced age

Classic rock never goes out of fashion and you can't be too old to listen if the guys playing it are also in advanced years, such as:

Rolling Stones

Mick Jagger 76
Charlie Watts 78
Keith Richards 76 (although he looks like he died 10 years ago)
Ronnie Wood 72

LED Zeppelin

Robert Plant 71
Jimmy Page 75
John Paul Jones 73

The Who

Roger Daltrey 75
Pete Townsend 74

and so on. Ian Hunter of Mott The Hoople is 80

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

Classic rock never goes out of fashion and you can't be too old to listen if the guys playing it are also in advanced years, such as:

Rolling Stones

Mick Jagger 76
Charlie Watts 78
Keith Richards 76 (although he looks like he died 10 years ago)
Ronnie Wood 72

Led Zeppelin

Robert Plant 71
Jimmy Page 75
John Paul Jones 73

The Who

Roger Daltrey 75
Pete Townsend 74

and so on. Ian Hunter of Mott The Hoople is 80

And Joan Baez, Dolly P and Emmylou are all in their 70`s!  Not Rock, but still Classics Herbs!

• Like 1

Must admit the ML in the courtesy NX I had recently did sound quite 'thin' compared with that in my RC.

Regarding the switch between hybrid and petrol it was seamless, the car had only 300 miles on the clock. 

27 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

And Joan Baez, Dolly P and Emmylou are all in their 70`s!  Not Rock, but still Classics Herbs!

and Neil Diamond will be 79 this month!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, yannick87 said:

3. Transition electric to petrol

My previous car was a CT200h and felt that the transition from full electric to petrol was much smoother. Probably this will be better when the car has some more miles on the clock.  

I am getting around 33mpg at the moment on regular fuel (50% highway - 50% city), which I honestly think is not that bad for such a heavy car. 

I've been fortunate to purchase a 2019 RX 450h recently, and have found the transition from electric to petrol and back again very smooth and I'm hardly aware it is happening (only 450 miles on the clock so far). The system is much smoother than the stop/start system on my previous car. Do you find this more noticeable when the engine is cold?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, malcolmw said:

1. I played around with the ML system settings and eventually reverted to the defaults as these seem to give the best balance. It is true to say that I don't listen to much rock/pop/rap at my advanced age...

2. We have no trace of flicker at all. This may be a fault.

3. The transition to "engine on" is virtually unnoticeable and has been like this from new.

4. On your mix of roads you should be getting more like 38 - 40 mpg (assuming UK gallons and temperatures of 10 - 15 degC).

Thank god for the metric and imperial system 🙄... sorry I was using US gallons... 33 US mpg = 40 UK mpg. So that is fine. 

15 hours ago, mikey2001 said:

I've been fortunate to purchase a 2019 RX 450h recently, and have found the transition from electric to petrol and back again very smooth and I'm hardly aware it is happening (only 450 miles on the clock so far). The system is much smoother than the stop/start system on my previous car. Do you find this more noticeable when the engine is cold?

Do not get me wrong... The transition is smooth, barely noticeable. But indeed, when the engine is cold, it is slightly more noticeable than my old CT.

I find the sound is fine for a car setup. No boom low end and the limitations make it pretty hard to get any sort of decent sound as after all it’s a car sound system.

i managed if I’ve read the dash figures correctly a nice 54.6 mpg yesterday on a short trip of around 4 miles driving gently to get the old electric drive as much as possible. I’m sure that’s not going to stay late way for long but I was surprised to see that from a car of this size.

• 3 weeks later...

My 2016 Premier is returning 34 - 35 mpg running in eco mode. Tried to verify that the units were correct, ie. imperial gallons, but can only find one option in setup.

MPG or Kilometres per litre. Am I looking in the right place or is the default on mine imperial?

In agreement on the thin sounding audio. My old RX350 had a ML system that far outperformed this one