Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi ..

This may sound a silly question .. I own a 2011 RX450h

My question is after 5 years of use .. I unlock the tailgate by pressing the button above the rear Registration Plate this unlocks things but I then have to manually open the tailgate all the way which is awkward when you have a heap of shopping .. should the tailgate not open itself .. fully and automatically without my having to lift it ??

I ask because although I rarely use the remote Tailgate switch on the dashboard .. when I do use this switch it will fully open the Tailgate automatically .. likewise when I press this remote switch again it will fully close the Tailgate without any intervention on my behalf

Any comments would be appreciated thanks 

Does your key not have a 3rd button? This is the key for my 2010. 85208b2bd44af3778d523e21004a6070.jpg

The key remotely operates the tailgate. I thought the tailgate handle was faulty on mine, but was reassured that only the key or the button on the dash can remotely operate the tailgate.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the reply .. I've not used this Key button ever !! .. however just been out to the car and tried it and it works .. fully opens and fully closes .. so I guess you have answered my question in that .. only the key button or dashboard remote can initiate fully automatic mode ..  

Thanks for the input appreciated

• Like 2

Yes, the gen 4 car is different to the gen 3 as the tailgate only opens and closes by electric motor power on the later cars. 

When I had my gen 3 car my Grandson rushed and opened the tailgate externally and it dropped back onto his fingers... Ironically outside A&E. Fortunately he wasn't injured. 

Apologies for the late reply Olliesgrandad but only just been released from hospital ..

Yes that is one heavy tailgate .. hope your grandson's fingers weren't  stinging too much .. least you were outside A & E which might have proven handy otherwise

Thanks for the input

19 hours ago, Gilbert Fudpucker said:

Apologies for the late reply Olliesgrandad but only just been released from hospital ..

Yes that is one heavy tailgate .. hope your grandson's fingers weren't  stinging too much .. least you were outside A & E which might have proven handy otherwise

Thanks for the input

Hope you are now fit and well. 

Fortunately I released the tailgate smartish and grandson OK. 

Crazily Lexus had just replaced the gas struts because I wasn't happy they were holding the tailgate up effectively. The new ones weren't as good...