Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 mine, where's the longevity in this eh ?

Glad to hear it is back and sorted, Malc. I had my alternator replaced by Lexus Wolverhampton about 3 years ago on my 1997 LS400 at around 222,000 miles - no record in service history of it having been replaced previously, so the one replaced may or may not have been the original. I also had the starter motor replaced at the same time free of charge as there had been a recall for replacement and the starter motor on mine had not been replaced. The reason for the replacement was that there was a remote risk of fire on the original fitment.

• Like 2

At that sort of mileage then As the Altenator was the original factory fitted one ( I believe it was, come on it's a LS have the faith) then I personally would have liked to see/replace the brushes as these are a wear item and easily replaceable ( not sure on the actual removal of the Altenator in the first place though!) Thats why it's an 'Exchange Item' spare part as the fix could cost pennies!

paul m.

don't they have coils to be rewound too and stuff like that ?  not just simply a set of £2 brushes I bet !:scared:

Otherwise my indy would have just replaced the brushes and saved me £296 and added 10 mins to his labour cost .........  he charges me parts at cost price to him

I think our alternators are a little buried down in the depths, unlike the Honda Legend he recently changed which was a doddle, lying almost on the top and easy peasy to deal with 

Malc

our Honda Legend alternator lasted about 50% the life of my Lexus one