Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

CD slot phone holders

Morning all,

I'm looking for recommendations for one of those phone holders which fixes to the CD slot. "But why?" I hear you ask. Well, some months ago, I was a bit naughty and got clocked by a mobile camera doing 48 in a 40mph zone. After doing my penance at the speed awareness course, I'm now paranoid about getting caught again in the next three or so years, so I've invested in one of those GPS apps which indicates the speed limits on the current road (Dear Lexus - my wife's Ioniq gives this as standard on the satnav. Road sign recognition isn't quite as good...). Therefore, I'm looking for ways to mount my phone in the car which don't involve messy suckery things on the windscreen and thought that a CD slot based solution would be just the job. I'm assuming that one won't foul the gear lever or controls too much?

Thanks in advance,
Mincey

my 17 plate F Sport has the road sign recognition and displays on the dash if you have gone over the limit

i would check the menus incase you can turn this function off

My road sign recognition is switched on, but it can sometimes miss a sign and the gps system does cater for those "is this a 30 or a 40 limit" panic moments.

I use this CD Slot Phone holder in my IS 300h - the only downside is that the phone covers some of the dash buttons making them harder to get to and the hazard warning button is particularly difficult to reach. However it doesn’t get in the way of the gear lever in P so I'm happy with it. I use it with a Google Pixel 4 phone. Although I use the Lexus sat nav I find it useful to be able to pull up Google maps now and again. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019DCBJYQ/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_tpjeEbFDV1AY5

Why are you set on a CD slot mounted holder?
I have a vent mounted one that fits on the vent to the right of the steering wheel. It works really well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Syncwire-Car-Phone-Mount-Scratch-free/dp/B07HNTCVFK/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=syncwire+car+phone+holder&qid=1578437536&sprefix=syncw&sr=8-3

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10 Plus using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, DanD said:

Why are you set on a CD slot mounted holder?

It was the proximity of the USB port which clinched the CD slot route - it made it neater to charge my phone if required doing it that way. Your vent suggestion is probably better/safer because I can imagine it's quicker to look down at the vent than it is down to the CD slot. If I don't get on with the CD mount, I'll try your suggestion - the mounts aren't silly money.

The postman has just been with a delivery from http://cdslotmount.com/. It all fits nicely - I've not been out for a drive yet so can't report on wobbles/vibration etc, but it does seem to be stable and solid. With the phone on the left fixing, there's plenty of room to use the gear lever. Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mincey said:

The postman has just been with a delivery from http://cdslotmount.com/. It all fits nicely - I've not been out for a drive yet so can't report on wobbles/vibration etc, but it does seem to be stable and solid. With the phone on the left fixing, there's plenty of room to use the gear lever. Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

Capture.JPG

Looks good - being able to mount the phone in different positions makes it better than the one I have where the phone obscures the hazard warning button - might have a look at replacing mine with one of these - let us know how you find it whilst out driving.

Went out for a spin yesterday to test the phone/slot mount combo. All went very well. No undue wobbling, Ergonomics for eye from road to phone and back to road timing (to check the phone app speed limits) were good. The phone stayed put. The mount gripped it tightly, even over the Whittlesey level crossing, which anyone who has taken it at 40mph will know is well bumpy. I'll give the cdslotmount a double tick VG. I've got a 320 mile round trip to the South Coast planned before the end of the month which should give it a fuller test. I shall report back!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1