Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Screen Mist early on

Hi,

On my previous cars which have been non hybrid,  I have been able to dispel the early mist which forms inside the front screen by a combination of directing heat and using air con while car idles. (I know this is now probably regarded as non PC but it did the job and was in any case recommended on some cars of yesteryear, being almost mandatory on some Italian ones).  Indeed on my Fiat 130, there was even a lever to hold the throttle speed higher beside another for operating the choke which enabled the oil to warm and circulate  and the screen to clear.  However, I find it takes sometime for the screen to clear on my RX and I notice some slight abrasions possibly left by a ringed finger of the original owner.  It is also a long way to reach over to wipe the passenger's side a couple or so times.  I have been considering fitting a small flat electrically heater fan on the dash. Also, I find it takes quite a time for the exterior mirrors to clear after an initial wipe.  I would be interested in how others like me who can't garage their car find this and deal with it. 

• Like 1

Never found it to be a problem. I just do whatever I would do in any car and start driving as soon as possible as this speeds up the engine warming up. In fact hybrids warm up quicker than other cars. Just make sure the airflow is directed to the screen and that the Aircon is switched on (it should never be switched off anyway)

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10 Plus using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, DanD said:

Just make sure the airflow is directed to the screen and that the Aircon is switched on (it should never be switched off anyway)

Interestingly that is what I have always believed (and still do), but I read an article on this forum recently which indicates that the Hybrid aircon is different to a normal system and that it doesn't need to be run all the time to stop seals from drying out. 

In respect of clearing the screen on a gen 3 car I used to press the big windshield icon demist button and that always worked well together with the mirror and rear screen defogger button. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

Interestingly that is what I have always believed (and still do), but I read an article on this forum recently which indicates that the Hybrid aircon is different to a normal system and that it doesn't need to be run all the time to stop seals from drying out. 

In respect of clearing the screen on a gen 3 car I used to press the big windshield icon demist button and that always worked well together with the mirror and rear screen defogger button. 

I use that as well...

Also have some of those bags of silica gel(?).

3 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

"but I read an article on this forum recently which indicates that the Hybrid aircon is different to a normal system and that it doesn't need to be run all the time to stop seals from drying out".

I would like to read that article, if anyone knows where it is, as I am of the same view as Les. 

3 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

I read an article on this forum recently which indicates that the Hybrid aircon is different to a normal system and that it doesn't need to be run all the time to stop seals from drying out. 

Personally I can't believe that, but even if it's true I wouldn't turn the AC off.

Our cars don't just have lowly air conditioning, they have climate control. You set the temperature that you want the cabin to be and the car computers mix-and-match hot and cold air as necessary to keep that temperature stable. Plus, of course, "conditioned" air isn't just cold or to cool you down; it's filtered and dried and is actually better for us, so why would anyone want to turn it off?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Personally I can't believe that, but even if it's true I wouldn't turn the AC off.

Our cars don't just have lowly air conditioning, they have climate control. You set the temperature that you want the cabin to be and the car computers mix-and-match hot and cold air as necessary to keep that temperature stable. Plus, of course, "conditioned" air isn't just cold or to cool you down; it's filtered and dried and is actually better for us, so why would anyone want to turn it off?

I`m with you Herbs and that is why I asked my question.

• Like 1

It is correct, however, to demist the car, i.e. remove humidity from the cabin, you need to have the Aircon going.

The Aircon really had two purposes: dehumidifying the cabin and thus preventing the windows from misting up, and cooling the cabin in warmer weather.
Strictly speaking, you do not need the Aircon to be switched on to heat the cabin up. With the Aircon switched off, you can still regulate the temperature using the usual controls.

It is true that in a hybrid car, seals that dry up are less of an issue than in a conventional car, however climate control systems are so efficient these days that the economy gained by not having them running all the time is negligible.

It's a bit like the theory of switching your house heating off if you are out for the day. When you come back, you end up running the heating on full blast to heat the house up, cancelling out any saving you may have made during the day. I believe that little and often works better. Am I making sense?... Maybe not...

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10 Plus using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

"but I read an article on this forum recently which indicates that the Hybrid aircon is different to a normal system and that it doesn't need to be run all the time to stop seals from drying out".

I would like to read that article, if anyone knows where it is, as I am of the same view as Les. 

John,

Search for a post by Bitprius. He explains the difference. (Motors immersed in fluid etc.)

John

• Like 1

Thank's for your thoughts.  I will check I have everything set up correctly before doing anything drastic. I'm not a snowflake but driving with front windows open for first 10 mins I might get covered in them.

I expect most people know this but I'll just add that wiping the mist off the windscreen doesn't help. It's best if the glass is as clean as possible. Then the demister with aircon running should have no difficulty clearing the mist. But if you wipe it with your hand or a gloved hand it will transfer particles of grease and dust onto the screen. This gives the mist something to stick to, making it harder for the demister to clear the screen. I've always found that keeping the screen as clean as possible and then avoiding touching it is best for keeping the screen clear.

• Like 5

At one time there was a cream in a tube one could buy that claimed to help stop misting on spectacles and could also be used on the inside of windscreens, although would probably be expensive for use on the latter.  Then there were other suggestions like cutting a potato and rubbing it over the screen - never tried that one!  The mist is caused by breath and increased when carrying passengers and is only a problem for initial 5 mins or so.  Carpets and interior not damp so I don't think that is a problem.  Micro fiber cloth helps. I have a telescopic rod an d may check whether the micro cloth attached to this will enable me to reach the passenger's side of the screen if after optimizing system problem persists. I take the point about having a clean screen to reduce surface area for the mist to take hold.

I am also a believer in leaving the air con on always even if the does slightly reduce mpg.