Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Leaving Lexus?

Glyn C

Sad day today in some respects as I have just spent most of the day looking at a few alternatives to my GS430 sport which is coming up to 1 year old.

This is the 2nd GS I have owned and what it making me change is the total and utter lack of customer service I've received from dealers and their apparent inability to be able to sort relatively minor problems easily and quickly. I still have the same problems on my car which I mention in a previous post after the November service was completed. ( Juddering brakes, paint peeling and chipping off, noise from the front and wind noise around the doors). In fact I now have a letter on file from the local centre which states that all GS’s are like this! So I wrote back and suggested he refer to the brochure which states the opposite.

Only now am I hopefully getting them sorted after contacting the UK MD of Lexus again. I didn’t buy a Lexus to get stressed out with car problems -quite the opposite. If you buy a car which lists at £42K you expect to receive a certain level of service, but you don’t get it with Lexus I’m afraid. I daily read the forums on the site and see time after time how the various centres have shafted some other poor sod who loves his/her car and invested a stack of money into it. I really think it’s time that Lexus UK got a grip on their centres and starting running some of them themselves – much like some of the other well know brands have done in some instances. At least then they can control the level of customer service and back up to what is effectively a good product.

Sorry but I had to get this off my chest!

:angry:

Sad day today in some respects as I have just spent most of the day looking at a few alternatives to my GS430 sport which is coming up to 1 year old.

This is the 2nd GS I have owned and what it making me change is the total and utter lack of customer service I've received from dealers and their apparent inability to be able to sort relatively minor problems easily and quickly. I still have the same problems on my car which I mention in a previous post after the November service was completed. ( Juddering brakes, paint peeling and chipping off, noise from the front and wind noise around the doors). In fact I now have a letter on file from the local centre which states that all GS’s are like this! So I wrote back and suggested he refer to the brochure which states the opposite.

Only now am I hopefully getting them sorted after contacting the UK MD of Lexus again. I didn’t buy a Lexus to get stressed out with car problems -quite the opposite. If you buy a car which lists at £42K you expect to receive a certain level of service, but you don’t get it with Lexus I’m afraid. I daily read the forums on the site and see time after time how the various centres have shafted some other poor sod who loves his/her car and invested a stack of money into it. I really think it’s time that Lexus UK got a grip on their centres and starting running some of them themselves – much like some of the other well know brands have done in some instances. At least then they can control the level of customer service and back up to what is effectively a good product.

Sorry but I had to get this off my chest!

HERE!! HERE!! Im sorry to here after paying all that money for the car,them not being to help full.Ive phoned Lexus at Bristol 2 or 3 times since owning my Ls400,i thought it was because i had a old one that they werent that helpful about where i could get the radio code for my car.To be honest before i bought the car id phoned the service dept and the bloke was dead helpful about what to look for when buying a second hand one and saved me from buying alot of trouble.BUT since owning the car not had much help from them.

Have you tried the new (ish) Centre at Sutton Coldfield - Lexus Birmingham (owned by Sytner). Not far from J9 M42, nearer to you than Cov.

I bought an IS200 from there in Sept 03 and have had pretty good service. :D

Have you tried the new (ish) Centre at Sutton Coldfield - Lexus Birmingham (owned by Sytner). Not far from J9 M42, nearer to you than Cov.

I bought an IS200 from there in Sept 03 and have had pretty good service. :D

I had my service and some warranty work there, good value & friendly.

Altough no 44" inch tv with sky digital :(

No, I haven't tried them. There's also the new one at Leicester which I was going to try if I keep the car.

But I tried a R type Jag today and was blown away by the 400 hp

So I'm waiting for some figures to see what I do!

I just feel Lexus need to know their agents, in the main, let down a good product with s*** service and poor attitude, so I'll probably vote with me feet.

I'm hoping a visit from one of the Lexus head office staff on Monday will restore my confidence in them.

Sorry to hear that your problems haven't been sorted Glyn.

There does seem to be such a big difference in the quality between dealerships. Lexus GB do need to start looking at this more.

However part of the blame must go on the car. It shouldn't have come out of the factory with the problems, not for a car costing £42k. Although I must say the GS is way overpriced. I hope the new GS is a big improvement in build quality.

I swapped my Lexus with a guy called mark who works there!! he ripped me off big time, the cossie I swapped for my lex was a write off and he knew it even though he said it wasn;t when i asked him, said it was fine! He threatened me as well, cos i said i was going to take him to court!

Don't trust em, If that is the sort of peolpe they employ!

Bison

I swapped my Lexus with a guy called mark who works there!! he ripped me off big time, the cossie I swapped for my lex was a write off and he knew it even though he said it wasn;t when i asked him, said it was fine! He threatened me as well, cos i said i was going to take him to court!

Andy you just said it was a place in bham you never told me you got it of him.

Was he sales or workshop? I think I remember him.

Colin, i dont think the GS is overpriced, its less or similar to any 5 series or E class, you pay for the badge ;) :lol:

:offtopic: But does anyone think the IS is UNDERpriced??

Colin, i dont think the GS is overpriced, its less or similar to any 5 series or E class, you pay for the badge

That's the only reason I think they can charge as much, just make it slightly less than the German models.

Let me put it another way, for £42k it should have better ride quality and be better put together. It's about £5,000 more than it costs in the US. Sat Nav option in the UK costs £2.5k, about twice as much as the US.

But does anyone think the IS is UNDERpriced

It's good valve compared to a BMW but still expensive for a small car. The IS300 is overpriced.

It's good valve compared to a BMW but still expensive for a small car. The IS300 is overpriced.

Have to say that even tho I love my IS300, I'd have to agree - VFM isn't great.

Shame that certain dealers let the side down on what is essentially a good product, and a refreshing alternative to the German offerings.

I know we have one or two Lexus staff who are members here, but I think that if Lexus GB engaged L.O.C. more and worked more closely with them, it would be to everyone's benefit. L.O.C. represents a significant number of owners in the UK and both sides have a lot to gain from having a strong relationship.

Ditch your local Lexus dealer and head North

The best around, would seem to be Lexus Edinburgh, who seem to be really trying to break the mould with their new showroom/bodyshop and attitude.

Give Ian Reynolds (D/Principal) a try. I do not think you will be disappointed.

We had a Jag 'R' Type on demo at work here recently - the guys HATED it. Yes it was stonkingly quick but overall it didn't come up to scratch.

Tell us how you get on.

Appreciate the thought, but a 200 mile trip shouldn't be necessary to get a straight forward bunch of problems sorted. I have someone from Lexus UK visiting me tomorrow - he's driving up from Epsom to look at the car and hopefully take it away and get it sorted.

I appreciate the Jag isn't everyones cup of tea. I had one four years ago (not an R) and did over 40K in ten months and the thing never missed a beat. But what also made it a pleasure to own was the way the dealers were keen to build a relationship and look after me as the owner. Even visiting their showroom yesterday was enjoyable and they even went to the trouble of getting my 9 year old sorted with a playstation why I blasted a couple of their cars around for nearly three hours! The one I was looking at was the 4.2 litre (non R) that seems quick enough for me. But that supercharger makes a cracking noise, it would probably cost me a few tankfulls of juice to get it out of my system, the sales girl who came for the run with me was encouraging me to push this B*W M3 that was in front and wouldn't move! And why not!! :D

While I have the soap box, I would also point out the appalling values that Lexus dealers offer you for your car. In fact two of them have said they didn't want it when I went to look at an RX!! Instills you with confidence that does. My car is is A1 condition apart from the missing paint, I, like many of the members on here spend every weekend lovingly cleaning it and making sure it's kept in first rate order. Only to visit a dealer who 1: doesn't give a damn about your car 2: Doesn't listen to what you tell them 3: Looks at you as if you dropped in from outer space when you appear to have any knowledge of cars 4: Failes to rectify minor problems 5:Tells you "they all do that mate" - Then cleans the car with a nice oily rag, so your hours spent waxing the paintwork are rendered a waste of a weekend.

As a total change I also went to look at an A4 convertible, not convinced it's for me yet but what a well put together car, and that roof is an amazing piece of engineering!

It could be a good compromise as I could sell the Mx5 I keep for fun and combine two cars in one. Does anyone have any experience of them and what are they like to live with. I took one out for a couple of hours and couldn't really tell it was a soft top apart from a few squeaks. I was looking at the 3 litre with the Multi box with (not quattro).

I'll get off my soap box now! :whistling:

Back on the soap box !!!

Just back from an afternoon trying an A4 Cab

What a nice motor and seemed extremely well put together

Sales poeple were helpful, took time out to arrange for the kids to be watched why the good lady and I went posing with the top down!

Amazing thing is that they offered me a good £5K over what the tw*ts at Lexus have mentioned so far. The 3 litre engine had a decent turn of speed for an Auto, it had this Multitronic setup which effectively has no gears, very impressed. That roof I find amazing having owned a Mazda MX5 for some years! Must say this motor is looking like a definate maybe.

I will miss the GS - I love the way she goes and the way she looks ( when the paint was still attached) - The ride is appalling when compared with similar motors. B*W managed to do a sport set up that blends well and doesn't leave you feeling like Ozzie Osbourne on a bad day! Even the Jaguar R was smooth to drive with it's CATS stuff and low profile tyres. But the GS is not sorted and should have been. There is stacks of moans on the USA club where owners are complaining about vibration and tyre wear. A car of this quality should have had plenty of testing and this would never be an issue.

Now where that glass of red wine? B)

It's silly that manufacturers let these rogue dealers slip thru the net. Admittedly Lexus GB seem better than most at instilling the 'right attitude' into it's dealer network, but even they don't succeed all the time, and the result is disatisfied customers and lost sales. Maybe all manufacturers accept that they won't get it right all of the time, but some seem a lot more relaxed about losing the odd customer.

Before I bought the IS300 I went to Jaguar (Gatwick) and arranged a test drive of the X-Type 3.0 Sport. Not quite in the same league as the XK, but still over £30K when loaded up. To say the dealer 'tollerated' me was an understatement - I have never met such an arrogant s.o.b. in my life! I was permitted a 20 minute accompanied test drive for which the salesman drove for ten minutes. Upon returning to the dealership I told the salesman I was not going to shell out over £30K based on that experience.

The car was nice and if he had been pleasant and accomodating it could have been an entirely different story - I could have been driving a Jag and be a member of J.O.C....? JOC? Errr, perhaps not :winky:

If at the end of the day your local Lexus dealer has stiffed you, then you're right to vote with your feet. If you do switch to Jaguar then be sure to make it known publicly to the dealer and Lexus GB the reasons why, then maybe they'll learn.

Ah, someone with something good to say about German manufacturers and their customer service - I, on the other hand have nothing good to say about them - BMW and Volkswagen in particular

They make you feel out of place if you ain't buying their M3 or X5 and woe betide you if it needs sorted under warranty, in a 'but you've been using the car!!' sort of way - how dare I

Then again theres always one franchise dealer to upset everyone else

The good thing about Lexus is that you don't look like everyone else driving BMW and you don't look like a hairdresser with an Audi (you're not are you?). It has to be said I drove a 2.5 Audi with that new gearbox and it was particularly special.

P.S. If thats your GS pic, its looks good

I am now off my soapbox about German Car dealers

Thank you

I do agree about BM* dealers

I shall never darken their door!

And I don't fancy one of those caps that you have to wear to drive the M3

and when I sat in an X5 I was waiting for someone to take my ticket!

One of the reasons I bought a Lexus was to avoid following the crowd especially as they only sell the GS in hundreds here - not hundreds of thousands

Yes the picture is of my car

I think it looks pretty good too

Just doesn't behave like it should

:duh:

Have to say I was pretty "*****" off by German service. If I am honest I loved the Audi Quattro as young boy and I was now available to afford one. Go to 3 audi dealers not one wanted to sell me the car, granted I was only 26 when I went looking, yes I had a part ex but it was a cash sale. The dealers did not want to sell me the car, kept asking how much I had to spend, and I would only tell them I had enough to buy the A4 Quattro and I wanted a test drive. I got excuse after excuse for not getting the test drive, never returned phone calls. I was asked by 2 dealers is a company car as if it is not they would only do a deal if I go through Finance. They did not have brochures and never sent them out to me, I had to get them via the net from Audi UK and they sent out the wrong info. Audi UK promised me the test drive never got it.

On the upside Audi did talk to me which is more than B*W dealers did. I must not be worthy enough to own one.

Lexus on the other hand (and considering in all cases I went in wearing Jeans and T-shirts) did no prejudging phoned back when they called me when they said they would, arranged the test drive when suitable for me and could not do enough to sell me the car.

Yes I am biased and the only time Audi spoke to me was after I complained by which time Lexus got my cash, Audi amazingly offered the test drive to me.

Maybe it was my age but to me Audi and BMW are over rated for customer service. If I bought German it would be a Merc, because I know my local dealers OK but they are overpriced IMHO.

Its not the brand its the dealer there are good and bad for all makes of car ,The dealer i use is the nuts but then my car has just come out of waranty and that will probaly change however my last car was an audi and they were also good .My volvo blew its gearbox and the suppying dealer quoted £3700 as it was just out of waranty ,i decided to shop around and the dealer 10 miles away paid 50% towards the cost of the gearbox and fitted it for free .main dealers are nothing more than backstreet garages made good and the attitude has nothing to do with the brand just the people that work there .And yes i do think the GS is overpriced and if i had £42,000 it would be german all the way .

Couldn't bear to spend £42,000 on any car - the idea of watching it just drain away each day in depreciation would kill any enjoyment form owning a car that cost that much. I'd rather stick £42,000 in to a house and watch it increase in value.

As Lexus tend to build bullet proof cars, get a used model, you still get all of the refinement and someone else takes the biggest hit on the depreciation.

Appreciate the thought, but a 200 mile trip shouldn't be necessary to get a straight forward bunch of problems sorted. I have someone from Lexus UK visiting me tomorrow - he's driving up from Epsom to look at the car and hopefully take it away and get it sorted.

I appreciate the Jag isn't everyones cup of tea. I had one four years ago (not an R) and did over 40K in ten months and the thing never missed a beat. But what also made it a pleasure to own was the way the dealers were keen to build a relationship and look after me as the owner. Even visiting their showroom yesterday was enjoyable and they even went to the trouble of getting my 9 year old sorted with a playstation why I blasted a couple of their cars around for nearly three hours! The one I was looking at was the 4.2 litre (non R) that seems quick enough for me. But that supercharger makes a cracking noise, it would probably cost me a few tankfulls of juice to get it out of my system, the sales girl who came for the run with me was encouraging me to push this B*W M3 that was in front and wouldn't move! And why not!! :D

I'm glad you managed to find a good Jaguar dealer - I live in Southend and ended up going to H A Fox in Cheltenham to find a decent dealer. :o

I seem to have the opposite experience to you though, my local Lexus dealer (Hadleigh) is fantastic whereas any local Jag people have proved to be complete and utter w*****s :angry:

By the way - go for the Type R - you know it makes sense :ph34r:

I did buy a used ( 1 year old) GS300 originally and it suffered from a severe vibration - Lexus had it at their technical centre for 6 months. Eventually after writing to their MD they offered me a deal on a new GS (I opted for the 430) which I couldn't really refuse. Otherwise I would never buy new as I totally agreed they are complete money pits! You chaps who pick up the well looked after cars do the right thing in my oppinion, but rest assured most of my cash is heavily in property or working well in the markets! I just like cars! It's my only real vice I'm affraid!!

Trade in values are appalling and I have even had two dealers say they don't want it against an RX! That's a nice warm feeling, I can tell you.

Still mine is now at the technical centre, having been taken away yesterday after demonstrating it's ability to do a fair impression of a failing wheel bearing!!

Anyone looking at a nice deal on a GS430 should contact me cause once they have sorted it it will be the puppies bits again, but I am seriously thinking of selling and moving on. Two and a half years of appalling service is enough for me.

It is the dealers, Lexus are trying to put it right, perhaps they should "own" some of the centres as do Audi etc.

:whistling: