Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Strut bars upgraded suspension etc

TDP

Hi all, I've seen reference to strut braces (available in the UK) for the SC430 but despite looking everywhere cannot find any except in the US. If anyone knows where I can get one in the UK please can you PM me the details. It's part of a full suspension upgrade, Meister coilovers, uprated anti roll bars and so on. Thanks to everyone who has posted their experiences doing this, it's all very useful. 

2020-01-02 14.28.18.jpg

For a strut brace I think the US will be your best option now but you could try The Lexusman. I had to import my rear ARB and that wasn't too painful. Coil-overs and stiffer sway-bars definitely make a difference. 

• Like 1

Hi Neil, Thanks for the info here and the extensive detail on your build thread(s). I have ordered a set of Meister r's today and found that my local lexus dealer can supply the ARB's so that will be the next step. Looking forward to enjoying better handling and lowering it about 4-5cm. If anyone else is interested the part numbers for the ARB's are as follows:

Rear: 48812-30400 Front: 48811-30560               Although I haven't fitted them yet I am fairly sure they are the right ones from the GS and ISF.

Hi Neil,

I can get the stock parts (bushes and the link) but poly bushes or adjustable links (which I may not/probably don't need) are harder to find at a sensible price.

I was quoted 345 USD (delivery was 115 USD of that and doesn't include import tax} for a carbing strut brace so looking for another option.

So for anyone considering upgrading their SC430 (mine is a 2006) suspension here is what I have found. Its correct to the best of my knowledge but do your own research, hopefully this might provide some guidance to shorten the process.

I am using Meister R coil-overs and am planning on dropping the ride height by about 3-5 cm. I have 19" wheels with 245/30 and 285/30 tyres. 

Front: Best ARB is the 28.6mm diameter solid version (part no: 48811-30560) this is found on the GS300 amongst others and it's possible to find used examples in the UK (£30-60). New from Lexus UK: £254

You can use the standard bushes (I'm upgrading to poly bushes £20) and the standard links as long as you are not radically dropping the ride height.

I will also replace the steering rack bushes with poly versions (£25) as the consensus is that this is a worthwhile improvement.

Rear: ARB is the ISF version (model no: 48812-30400). Seems to be as rare as hens teeth in the UK. A Lexus dealer quoted me £228 so I ordered mine from Japan at an approximate cost of about half that.

The bushes need to be the ISF ones to fit the 17mm diameter bar (48818-30180). You can use the standard SC430 bracket. 

The links need to be the ISF ones (they are slightly shorter - necessary if you are lowering the car) (48830-30090).

It seems that most agree that this is the best set up for road use - there are other aftermarket bars available (mostly from the US and Japan) but they are even more costly and apparently more suitable for track use than road (would anyone really track day an SC430?).

I have had no luck finding a front strut brace in the UK and importing one from Japan is about £300. I am exploring whether a brace from a GS (S190) GS300/350 might fit but not sure yet. Apparently it's a worthwhile modification but, for me at least, not for £300.

This is a useful site as it gives you OE part numbers:  https://www.toyodiy.com

• Like 1

285 should be fine and the rolling circumference is spot on. I had 2 sets of Contis at 285 on 9.5 but after fitting the rear ISF ARB I went with 275 Contis on the rear and it felt better. I know it can vary from one tyre make to another but if I was to do it all again, I would go for 10 or 10.5 inch rims to run 285s. The slight flare on the rear arch from the kit does allow for a slightly more aggressive offset. 

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

I would think the strut brace for the Mk2 GS is the same as the SC but haven't found anything to confirm it. 

An update after a couple of days hard work. The Meister R suspension is now on as is the uprated front roll bar with poly bushes. Lost an upper front arm ball joint nut in the process (garage gremlins) so need to find a replacement before I can drive it. I fitted 20MM wheel spacers at the front. Might need some more ride height adjustment but its looking good so far. The rear roll bar is hopefully on the way from Japan which will complete the suspension mods. I have also been told that the GS strut brace will not fit so when I get time I'll design one and have it made up locally. Wheels need balancing and tracking etc. Tested blacking out the orange side reflectors (with plasticote) and prefer it that way so I'll do it properly sometime. Once its mechanically as I want it I'll start on the cosmetics/paint/sound and so on. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally completed the suspension upgrade after the rear ARB arrived from Japan yesterday (£103 delivered compared to £228 from Lexus UK). Installing it was probably the easiest part of the conversion. The two chassis bars that bolt to the centre of the chassis behind the diff need to be unbolted and the bar will then pull out easily. I bought some universal poly bushes but found they did not fit so for now have reused the old ones which work fine. When installing the new ARB the best order is to bolt the new drop links to the bar then position the bar but don't clamp it to the chassis. Encourage (carefully with a hammer) the drop links to sit inside the lower arm and bolt them up. Then bolt the ARB to the chassis. It now handles soooo much better and really transforms the car. This must be the best and most cost effective upgrade for an SC. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have found a Cusco Strut Tower Brace model number 188 540 A for about £200 delivered which although not cheap at least is available and not £500 for a solid Toms version. My question is has anyone got one of these and are they worth having? If it only reduced scuttle shake with the roof down I'd consider it worthwhile. Or should I hold out for finding a solid unhinged bar?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Fitted the Cusco strut bar as the final part of the suspension upgrade - it makes a very noticeable difference. The front end feels much more precise - well worth the cost. Bought from Nengun Performance Japan.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I have now rebuilt the entire front suspension with superpro bushes and figs ball joints/new steering arms etc. Had it all aligned/set up...massive improvement over stock but I will go for higher profile tyres (35) when I change them as 30,s are too harsh. 

• Like 2

Yes superpro poly bushes on the two lower suspension arms and standard rubber on the upper "A" arms. The bushes I removed were all perfectly serviceable but I wanted a bit more precision to make the most of the other changes. I'm still experimenting with the suspension settings and ride height.

• Like 2

I used Poly bushes on a Soarer a long time ago and they were great for a year but then needed to be replaced so I didn't ever go back to them. Interested in what your results are like many years later. Figs Engineering are very good. 👍

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

HI I AM LOOKING AT A REA BAR FOR MY SC I HAVE READ SOMEWHERE THAT THE PART NUMBER IS THE SAME FOR 2 ARB 'S  48812-30400 THERE ARE 3 ON eBay FROM JAPAN BUT NO ONE CAR SAY IF THEY ARE 17 MM IS IT RIGHT THERE ARE 2 OR JUST ONE IN YOUR EXPERIENCE .

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links