Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Transmission pipe leakage replacement cost?

Hi guys,

ive recently bought 2002 RX300 auto AWD in UK. 

Seller informed me that  the pipes leading to the  transmission oil radiator have been replaced as the old one corroded away and were leaking.

But they replacement is silicon pipes (see photo attached) and Ive noticed a small leak that happens when the engine runs.

Any suggestion as to how to fix it? The garage guy advises to get Lexus original pipes, he did'nt give me an estimate, but I am assuming it would be expensive. 

Regards

Saad

IMG_20191226_153247.jpg

Looks like that pipe has not been as fully pushed home as the other... if it were me, I would shove it on a bit more first (might need to un-tighten the clip first) and then make sure the jubilee clip is properly tightened up before heading off in undoubtedly more expensive directions. 

@The-Acre yes thats trans oil cooler.

@Stupot: thanks, sensible advice. Have you had experience with these silicon pipes used in trans pipelines, given that their must be some pressure in the system. whats the longevity on these things generally under pressure?

3 minutes ago, sama said:

Have you had experience with these silicon pipes used in trans pipelines, given that their must be some pressure in the system. whats the longevity on these things generally under pressure?

No, sorry, I have not... so will defer to someone with more knowledge.

I deleted the metal pipes bolted under the radiator and just ran hoses between the transmission and the cooler, which is what looks like your previous owner has done.

I can say from experience it's not easy to tighten up the hose clamps because there's very limited space to get hands and tools in.

It may be just the hose clamp needs tightening and everything should be fine. Personally, I'd try loosening the clamp off, try and get the hose pushed on a bit further and then re-apply the clamp and tighten it up so the leak stops.

Fingers crossed that should work, unless there's a pin-hole leak on the metal fitting on the cooler.

Edited to add: I used rubber hose made for oil coolers, I didn't use Silicone hose, so can't really comment on the suitability of Silicone hose for oil cooler applications.

When I replaced my transmission cooler hoses I used fuel hose, a very experienced local parts supplier told me it's absolutely fine for transmission fluid. I don't know about silicone hose either, I've not had experience with it. I do know cheap jubilee clips don't always work well.  As mentioned, unless you've got a pin hole in the metal part I would have thought it's simple enough to rectify.

• Like 2

Ill see if i can get some decent quality jubilee clips, the ones on right now appear to be quite low quality.

cheers everyone for very useful advice!!

• Like 2

Out of curiosity I have just looked up the prices for the original hoses from Lexus.

I don’t know why but the top hose is around £75.00 and the lower £17.00, they look about the same size so why the huge variation in price between the two I don’t know.

There is another set of flexible hoses further back too so maybe get your mechanic to also check these at the same time.

As other members have suggested I would replace with petrol grade rubber hoses and some decent stainless steel jubilee clips, the last thing you want is total fluid loss!

078AB5BC-4691-45AB-8F66-5CE101F00B4F.png

• Like 1

update: so I got my mechanic to just push the pipe further and do a fresh clamp. Seems to be working since then.. lets see if it holds for long. 

thanks again for everyones help. glad i asked the question here.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Hi all, I have an RX450h which was involved in a front accident about a month back. After the accident there was a pinkish fluid leaking from under the front passenger side. I had the car repaired and have been driving it around town for two weeks now, maybe driven about 200 miles or so. Today I noticed the car seemed to be idling very high when I started my journey. Eventually while on the M1, I was struggling to get above 50mph, then several warning lights came up staring with check PCS system, then check brake system, check hybrid system... Eventually I couldn't accelerate and the car grinded to a halt on the hard shoulder. 

I saw the same pinkish fluid leaking but not as big a puddle as in the accident. 

Called the mechanic that repaired the car saying the same leak has shown up again what did he repair, he says to me he didn't do any repair for leaks as when he looked, he couldn't see anything that was leaking(!?!?).

Having googled around, I now think it's a leaking transmission coolant line, what do you all think? Also if it is so, wouldn't my car have packed up ages ago? Has my gearbox overheated and packed up now? The car was driving completely fine for the last 2 weeks I have had it but today was the first time on the motorway.

Car does not go into ready mode, just says check hybrid system now. I would really be grateful and appreciate if you could advise me as am so stressed out and sad about this! :-(

Was it an insurance repair? If so, say you are not happy with it.

If not, I would check what you asked to have repaired. Could you take it back as not finished?

Or, if no other options, find a different trusted independent?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links