Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Weird shutting off issue

Blathers

Hello everyone

recently been having an issue where after driving for a little while (car might just be up to temp), my car just sorta falters and dies completely (as in turn the key, and absolutely nothing happens, no accessories, no crank, no lights, nothing)  followed by a series of bleeps from the boot area i think? The only way I’ve solved this is by either touching the negative terminal on the Battery with something metal, or opening either of the rear doors (very weird) after leaving it alone for maybe a couple of minutes. When it comes alive again everything is reset as if there hasn’t been a Battery in the car for a couple months. If the car stalls, when I try to restart it the same thing happens, and also at seemingly random intervals after the first occurrence. Also seems to happen a little while after a bit of a harder rev, don’t know if that’s relevant 🙂

any helps greatly appreciated 😀👍🏻

16 hours ago, The-Acre said:

I guess the obvious first questions would be how old is your battery, and how tight are the terminals?  You'd be amazed at how things can just freak out when the battery isn't up to scratch.

The Battery is just over a year old, but could be in bad condition? At the moment doesn’t get long runs in as I don’t actually have license and no insurance so I’m just manoeuvring it around so it might not be getting a proper charge? Good point about the terminals tho didn’t think about that will tighten them down and see if that works! Hopefully its that and I don’t have to mess around with finding dodgy grounds or something like that 😅

When checking the Battery terminals also check the connection where the Battery lead connects to the car body. Rust under the connection is quite common, and can cause such problems.
It would be also prudent to charge the Battery while it is not in use.

John.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Britprius said:

When checking the battery terminals also check the connection where the battery lead connects to the car body. Rust under the connection is quite common, and can cause such problems.
It would be also prudent to charge the battery while it is not in use.

John.

Ok, will do! Thanks for the help 😀👍🏻