Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Boredom set in

I'm thinking I must be suffering from some sort of undiagnosed medical condition as I can't seem to keep a car any longer than a year, my V12 AMG lasted 14 months and now the the RCF 14 months. Time to move onto something else. I know the rules on selling but for those interested it's on Pistonheads and Autotrader

Sorry to see that you are leaving the fold. Good luck with the sale, the car looks lovely in the photos but I’m sure they still probably don’t do it justice! 

What have you got planned for it’s replacement ? 

5 minutes ago, F.A. said:

Sorry to see that you are leaving the fold. Good luck with the sale, the car looks lovely in the photos but I’m sure they still probably don’t do it justice! 

What have you got planned for it’s replacement ? 

I am looking at a Mitsubishi GTO MR and a 300zx both cars from an era I like. Next I'll try the new Alpine A110 as I had a 610. Then last of all having sold my business and a few of my Fender Custom Shop guitars a McLaren 720s although I'm beginning to think they are worse than Lotus on the reliability stakes so not sure if I will go any further on that.

• Like 2

Just now, B1RMA said:

I am looking at a Mitsubishi GTO MR and a 300zx twin turbo SWB both cars from an era I like. Next I'll try the new Alpine A110 as I had a 610. Then last of all having sold my business and a few of my Fender Custom Shop guitars a McLaren 720s although I'm beginning to think they are worse than Lotus on the reliability stakes so not sure if I will go any further on that.

Sad to see it go, must be the autotrader notification I got for new RCF's haha! If the 720 is what you really desire, give it bash, only live once! I understand the boredom, I kept the F, but bought a 695 Biposto... 😛

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, The Bodyman said:

Good luck David. Keep us updated on all fronts

Jonathan

Will do, my wife can't understand why I put up with selling cars on so often and I have to admit you do get some characters, when I was selling my SL63 I had quite a few couples just coming along to have a ride in a sports car, weird I know I just wouldn't think of doing that, still it takes all sorts and I've learnt how to filter them out now and look forward to the parade of  folk coming my way. Still it helps fill the retirement day other than playing World of Warships.

I have a friend who purchased a 570s and sold it within 3 months for a hefty loss. He had nothing but trouble with it and in the end he went back to Porsche.

Said he would never own one again after his broke down in Germany and McLaren assist were useless.

New Alpine is an epic bit of kit.

my brother has a basic car on 17’s, and has had the Litchfield map put on it, and it is brilliant. Just brilliant.

Quick, low 4’s to 60, handling, steering and ride are sublime.

the best car I’ve driven in a long time.

if I had the space - there’d be one on the drive.

all the praise it has received from the pundits is thoroughly well deserved.

5 minutes ago, Silkmen said:

I have a friend who purchased a 570s and sold it within 3 months for a hefty loss. He had nothing but trouble with it and in the end he went back to Porsche.

Said he would never own one again after his broke down in Germany and McLaren assist were useless.

You're right, I have been following the various threads on Pistonheads in the Mclaren section for well over 9 months now and have slowly concluded that although they are a real bargain in relative terms for a car that's about a year or two old with no mileage really, they are as bad as Lotus. The question is why do they do this, I've had a Lotus on and off since my first Europa in 1972 and every car without exception has been dreadful, be it mixed metal unions that mean dismantling is out of the question to stupid design errors that allow water to damage sensitive electrical items both McLaren and Lotus do this. There is no doubt that both cars have no equals as far as roadholding and feedback is concerned it's just after taking the car for a good blast then finding something wrong the next day is a often experienced scenario that I don't really want to repeat.

22 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

Will do, my wife can't understand why I put up with selling cars on so often and I have to admit you do get some characters, when I was selling my SL63 I had quite a few couples just coming along to have a ride in a sports car, weird I know I just wouldn't think of doing that, still it takes all sorts and I've learnt how to filter them out now and look forward to the parade of  folk coming my way. Still it helps fill the retirement day other than playing World of Warships.

I'm the same. In 2017 I had three different cars 🥴 my wife has given up with me (with cars I mean).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Killysprint said:

New Alpine is an epic bit of kit.

my brother has a basic car on 17’s, and has had the Litchfield map put on it, and it is brilliant. Just brilliant.

Quick, low 4’s to 60, handling, steering and ride are sublime.

the best car I’ve driven in a long time.

if I had the space - there’d be one on the drive.

all the praise it has received from the pundits is thoroughly well deserved.

I'm going to arrange to drive one, as you say good bit of kit, I had an Alpine A610 at the same time as I had my V8 Esprit and I always preferred the Alpine to the the Lotus

7002532316_2768fd8cf4_b.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry to hear your going David, I was almost certain as time went on you’d keep the RCF longer n longer 🤔.......whatever you choose I’m sure you’ll be happy with for a few weeks/months 😉.......good luck with your selling and purchase. (I was looking at the RR sport 5ltr V8 BUT can’t handle the reviews on problems and cost, even more so the loss) ........ISF it is 😉

All the best,

Paul

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hockeyedwards said:

'Voted worst reliabilty in 2019, what car reviews' - avoid like the plague.. ISF much better choice 😉

Had mine 5 yrs now, still love it and will most probably never sell, just always wanted a RR sport, will wait until I can afford one and keep the F, will only be a 3 month romance I’m sure 😂.......probably cost me more than my divorce too 😂😂

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Womble72 said:

Had mine 5 yrs now, still love it and will most probably never sell, just always wanted a RR sport, will wait until I can afford one and keep the F, will only be a 3 month romance I’m sure 😂.......probably cost me more than my divorce too 😂😂

Had my GSF just coming up to 2 years, long term car in my mind, bought the Biposto to keep some miles off the F and wanted something to abuse as I suffer from autotrader-itis 😛

• Like 1

4 hours ago, B1RMA said:

I'm thinking I must be suffering from some sort of undiagnosed medical condition as I can't seem to keep a car any longer than a year, my V12 AMG lasted 14 months and now the the RCF 14 months. Time to move onto something else. I know the rules on selling but for those interested it's on Pistonheads and Autotrader

go for an Alfa quadrifoglio

those Alfa Romeo mechanics will keep you entertained every other week or so

7 minutes ago, talaipwros said:

go for an Alfa quadrifoglio

those Alfa Romeo mechanics will keep you entertained every other week or so

I did look at one at the same time as the RCF. Nice car, but again had read about the truly awful main dealers so decided to give it a miss.

2 hours ago, B1RMA said:

I did look at one at the same time as the RCF. Nice car, but again had read about the truly awful main dealers so decided to give it a miss.

well, no way you will get bored in one though. As a child, my family car was a red Giulia 1600 super

447675.jpg?v=1.

1975-alfa-romeo-giulia-nuova-super-1300-

I still remember it more than fourty years later, what a magnificent car. some time we weren't sure if the second or fourth gear was selected, the gear sect was hillariusly wobbly

Go for the Giulia, it is a 4 door Ferrari

23 hours ago, B1RMA said:

I am looking at a Mitsubishi GTO MR and a 300zx both cars from an era I like. Next I'll try the new Alpine A110 as I had a 610. Then last of all having sold my business and a few of my Fender Custom Shop guitars a McLaren 720s although I'm beginning to think they are worse than Lotus on the reliability stakes so not sure if I will go any further on that.

Have a look at JayEmm on Cars on youtube - he has done a number of videos on McLaren cars and the issues with both the cars and the dealerships.

29 minutes ago, Charliecloud said:

Have a look at JayEmm on Cars on youtube - he has done a number of videos on McLaren cars and the issues with both the cars and the dealerships.

Yes I have watched both of the videos. To be honest after reading through virtually all the posts in the McLaren section of Pistonheads it would be difficult to conclude anything other than the fact they are a bit risky. This is 99% from owners too, the only way one can draw a sensible conclusion about a car.

I understand there is also a bit of a problem selling them on other than to upgrade with a dealer for another McLaren. I'm thinking my original plan to buy the new Corvette C8 when it comes over to the UK is probably going to be the master plan now.

Just a quick update, I've had more enquiries about the wheels and the exhaust than the car.

I've refrained from my usual reply of 'Hey man, care to share some of that stuff you're smokin?' for the time being, but I'm tempted having had 4 insulting offers, but hey I do it.

12 hours ago, Drssg said:

Apologies one was me for the exhaust ! 

No problem Simran, if by any chance someone doesn't want the exhaust you'll be first on my list to let know. Having said that everyone who has enquired after the car want it as is so can't imagine it will go without the exhaust and wheels. But it's nice to know I have options, plus I'm in no hurry to sell as I don't start trying the cars on my list until next week.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links