Recommended Posts

Hey Guys,

I hope you are all well?

I am looking for a car as a run around for a couple of months and my whole family have newer Lexus models, I am considering a used 2007/2008 Lexus IS 250. I have seen/read to stay away from the IS 220d models.

Are there any common issues that I should look out for when considering an IS250? (ps I am looking at cars with under 70,000 miles on them)

 

Thanks in advance, Thomas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The main issues are sticking calipers, water pump and look at the exhaust. As long as it's been serviced regularly preferably by Lexus it should serve you well.



Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Battery's go at around 12 years Alternators also, and they are  a right pain to do. As above make sure all discs are shiny and not sticking.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Battery's go at around 12 years Alternators also, and they are  a right pain to do. As above make sure all discs are shiny and not sticking.
Good shout on the Battery. Replaced mine at about 12. One caliper and a water pump at 10 years which is common.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calipers won't go if you look after them by lubing the pins every 6 months ( couple of hour job at a leisurely rate) but alas it is Not a Lexus recognised service point so won't get done by them, they will just wanna fit new ones ( whole calipers) when ( not if ) they sieze.

Good choice of car and I don't think you'll be spending loads on maintaining it, I have heard some Lexus dealerships in the US shut down their Parts Dept cause they just wasn't selling enough to warrant running it!

Water pump is ££££'s at the dealers obs but genuine pump can be got for about £120-150 and if you are handy with spanners it is quite doable by home mech.

And you are right, steer clear of the DERV, even if someone gives it to you for nothing it won't be a bargain!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Battery in my IS250 failed at 10 years. The water pump went at 11 and I had caliper issues at 7 and 9. I needed a new exhaust at 6 or 7 (both back boxes because one had fallen off: £700 - ouch!) and an a/c compressor at 6 (it was £400ish to mend). There were six new spark plugs at some point. I seem to recall putting 4 sets of tyres on it over 120,000 miles. Given the 250's tedious reliability and relatively low servicing costs, none of this hurt too much. Apart from the exhaust. That did hurt. A lot. Even the guys in the garage offered me a sit down and a cup of tea before telling me how much it was going to be. My dad would have got out the Gun Gunk (is that what it was called?) and patched it up like he regularly did on his Austin Westminster all those years ago....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rear tyres are an uncommon and pricey size, so pay attention to their condition.

Manual gearbox cars can be had for a bargain, but that's because the road tax on them is £500+



Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There used to be a link at top of this section for a “Buyers Guide” but I can’t seem to find it now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guessing you mean this?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the kiddie, I printed that out when I went car shopping as you may tend to forget points, having said that when I stood in front of the one I have now I sort I knew I was having it due to the Moonroof and ACC not to mention it only had 38k miles!

It looks like a scary list of faults/niggles but you won't find them All on one car! ( Hopefully)

paul m.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've owned mine since 2010 (2006). apart from normal service, brake changes etc. I've only had one major issue, alternator went in 2018. that is the only major issue. apart from that car is solid, no issues, one of the best cars ive owned. I may have to sell it this year if you are interested. im looking to upgrade to another lexus (hybrid)

PM me

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought mine, a 2007 SE-L auto 2 years ago at 59K miles and its been excellent value.

Put 4 tyres on it when i bought it as the old ones were quite worn winters £246.00

Rear brake pads at 67K miles £48.00

Waterpump at £69K miles £115.20 (parts& fluid only - fitted myself)

Headlamp bulbs at 86K miles £93.98

I did the major service at 90K miles £164.75 for all parts inc iridium plugs and gaskets

4 tyres (Dunlop Bluresponse) Costco at 94K miles £223.58 fitted

Battery replaced (Yuasa) at 96K miles £75.19

O2 sensors replaced at 97K miles £266.54

I've done all servicing myseld including interi oil changes every 5K miles and filer at 10K.

Now at 102K miles and I've gone from doing 20K a year commute to doing just a few hundred a month in the last six months.

Average fuel consumption calculated on an app brim to brim over 2 years and 43K miles is 36.81mpg. Bering in mind mostly done on Motorway on cruise at 75mph indicated.

Cost per mile (excl purchase cost/depreciation) has been 21p per mile.

The Exhaust is a major concern as an original will set you back a substantial sum (Circa £1.5K I beieve) but if I had that issue I think I'd have one made. 

I've owned everything from a Honda Jazz, Nissan Primera, Skoda Supern  to a Jag XFS and its fair to say that the best all rounder has been the Lexus.

The dashboard rattle did annoy me when I bought it but I had the dash clips changed for the upgraded versions when it went in for the airbag recall and that cured it. It's a lovely calm, comfortable, quiet and relaxing place to be and has enough power that you never feel let down.

Just make sure you find a good one, It took me 6 months to find mine and I know I paid top money for it but it has been worth it.

It is a shame it just doesn't get used at the moment since I started working from home and reaching the point where I think I may be better to sell it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Tyre Tread said:

Bought mine, a 2007 SE-L auto 2 years ago at 59K miles and its been excellent value.

Put 4 tyres on it when i bought it as the old ones were quite worn winters £246.00

Rear brake pads at 67K miles £48.00

Waterpump at £69K miles £115.20 (parts& fluid only - fitted myself)

Headlamp bulbs at 86K miles £93.98

I did the major service at 90K miles £164.75 for all parts inc iridium plugs and gaskets

4 tyres (Dunlop Bluresponse) Costco at 94K miles £223.58 fitted

Battery replaced (Yuasa) at 96K miles £75.19

O2 sensors replaced at 97K miles £266.54

I've done all servicing myseld including interi oil changes every 5K miles and filer at 10K.

Now at 102K miles and I've gone from doing 20K a year commute to doing just a few hundred a month in the last six months.

Average fuel consumption calculated on an app brim to brim over 2 years and 43K miles is 36.81mpg. Bering in mind mostly done on Motorway on cruise at 75mph indicated.

Cost per mile (excl purchase cost/depreciation) has been 21p per mile.

The Exhaust is a major concern as an original will set you back a substantial sum (Circa £1.5K I beieve) but if I had that issue I think I'd have one made. 

I've owned everything from a Honda Jazz, Nissan Primera, Skoda Supern  to a Jag XFS and its fair to say that the best all rounder has been the Lexus.

The dashboard rattle did annoy me when I bought it but I had the dash clips changed for the upgraded versions when it went in for the airbag recall and that cured it. It's a lovely calm, comfortable, quiet and relaxing place to be and has enough power that you never feel let down.

Just make sure you find a good one, It took me 6 months to find mine and I know I paid top money for it but it has been worth it.

It is a shame it just doesn't get used at the moment since I started working from home and reaching the point where I think I may be better to sell it

Totally concur with all this.

Some of the earlier IS250s have same tyre size all round - mine does.  The newer ones have larger tyres at rear.  Forget the manual.  I got my complete exhaust replaced with a stainless steel one 3 months after I bought it but still within the warranty period.  Cost £850 all in for which I paid £100.  Get decent tyres as it's a rear wheel drive with a bit of poke.  I've had one rear brake caliper replaced....£75 for part.  Spark plugs are meant to be done at 60k miles....so make sure they are iof the car has more than that mileage.  Had two front wheel bearings replaced.....£250 all in with labour.  Might proactively get water pump done just to be sure.  Average mpg over all types is 35.2.  over about 20000 miles since I bought it.  It really is a great car.  Quiet, reasonably frugal for a 2.5l, can shift if you need it to.  I would be looking to change it for another Lexus..either a RX 450h or as IS300h.  Also, parts now are reasonably cheap, sometimes, even from a dealer.  If you can get one that you can get a two year warranty from Lexus on......thing it has to be under 10 years old but check....the warranty covers you for just about anything that goes wrong.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2020 at 9:15 PM, KenMavor said:

Totally concur with all this.

Some of the earlier IS250s have same tyre size all round - mine does.  The newer ones have larger tyres at rear.  Forget the manual.  I got my complete exhaust replaced with a stainless steel one 3 months after I bought it but still within the warranty period.  Cost £850 all in for which I paid £100.  Get decent tyres as it's a rear wheel drive with a bit of poke.  I've had one rear brake caliper replaced....£75 for part.  Spark plugs are meant to be done at 60k miles....so make sure they are iof the car has more than that mileage.  Had two front wheel bearings replaced.....£250 all in with labour.  Might proactively get water pump done just to be sure.  Average mpg over all types is 35.2.  over about 20000 miles since I bought it.  It really is a great car.  Quiet, reasonably frugal for a 2.5l, can shift if you need it to.  I would be looking to change it for another Lexus..either a RX 450h or as IS300h.  Also, parts now are reasonably cheap, sometimes, even from a dealer.  If you can get one that you can get a two year warranty from Lexus on......thing it has to be under 10 years old but check....the warranty covers you for just about anything that goes wrong.

Only think I would disagree on is the plugs - Don't bother up to 100K  miles. Like I said, i changed mine at 60K and they were still perfectly serviceable and were the originals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tyre Tread

do you have any walkthroughs or video material of changing the spark plugs?

was it difficult?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s a decent ‘how to’ no 'special' tools required though, seemingly a lot of parts to remove to actually get to the plug positions but the cooling and AC systems do not have to be touched. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, finest1 said:

@Tyre Tread

do you have any walkthroughs or video material of changing the spark plugs?

was it difficult?

There is also this in the 'How To' section. Hope it helps.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2020 at 9:40 PM, finest1 said:

@Tyre Tread

do you have any walkthroughs or video material of changing the spark plugs?

was it difficult?

I found an online how to video but I can't find the link now. 

I'd suggest getting the parts from Lexus Birmingham including the inlet manifold rubber gaskets. 

It's not difficult if you're methodical and take your time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 5:46 PM, leelacey17 said:

The main issues are sticking calipers, water pump and look at the exhaust. As long as it's been serviced regularly preferably by Lexus it should serve you well.



Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
 

Thank you, I picked one up with a welded exhaust and the water pump was done last November 🙂
Ill post pics of it once the weather is better 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 4:00 AM, J Henderson said:

Rear tyres are an uncommon and pricey size, so pay attention to their condition.

Manual gearbox cars can be had for a bargain, but that's because the road tax on them is £500+



Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
 

I picked up an auto 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 5:49 PM, madasahatter said:

Battery's go at around 12 years Alternators also, and they are  a right pain to do. As above make sure all discs are shiny and not sticking.

Thank you, I have the car going in for a minor service at Lexus Glasgow in March so will find out then if anything else needs done. But so far the car seems to be ok, bought a 2007 IS 250 auto SE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can stomach their hourly rate ( or better still DIY) get the calliper pins greased and known you be free as piece of mind for your new ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.