Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1998 LS400 boot aperture rust

Hi chaps.

I sorned the old girl for the winter and one of things that needed doing was to sort out the leaky boot .

I removed the old weather strip and found a bit of surface rust on the bottom lip which I will treat with some rust remover untill all gone.

However , to add to my misery the left side lip has a section about 2-3 cm that needs welding...

I need to remove the black trim that runs under the rear screen to sort some rust .

It seem like the sides are glued or mastiked to the metal.

See pics.

Thanks

IMG_20200109_221332-744x992.jpg

IMG_20200109_221528-744x992.jpg

IMG_20200109_221303-992x744.jpg

you're very very unforunate to need welding in this location ( or indeed any on your 98 car )

I have never read of any of this needed doing, the boot channel rust has only ever been surface and responded ok to cleaning-up etc

might some sort of filler be enough to deal with the main problems I wonder

good luck with it whatever

Malc

58 minutes ago, amazighman said:

But how to remove the black trim under the rear screen?

I removed the trim on my car, there are plastic fasteners holding the trim in place and some kind of sticky pad under larger corner bits. I removed this trim to clean underneath, glad I did because it was pretty grotty, I haven't got round to sticking the corners back down yet though.

I uploaded some pictures of before and after etc here:

I would use a heat gun on the corner peices as they are mastic fixed, the border trim to the rear screen is fastened with clips and you should be able to start prising it out from the edge of where the corner peice is after that is removed,take it slowly and work from both edges when it as come away, when you get to a clip pull straight up from both sides of the clip or you could break the clip or crease the trim.

The trim literally just pulls off, you will find some of the plastic clip halves remain on the boot lip but just remove these and clip back onto the trim before refitting, the clips on the trim slide along so you can realign them with the other half on the boot.

5 minutes ago, amazighman said:

Is that mastic there to hold that trim down or it to keep water away?

It doesn’t seal it just holds it down, there is some metal strengthening within the plastic moulding so the mastic prevents it springing up.

46 minutes ago, amazighman said:

Is this trim made of 3 sections? 

Two wing like which are mastiked to the car body and a long strip under the rear screen?

Or it is one single piece?

Thanks

All one piece, get one of the wing like pieces loose by warming with a hair drier the lift that end up, the clips will pop as you go and some will need refitting and aligning. Once you get to the other side apply heat again to release the other wing. Once removed you will see a line of holes with white plastic inserts ( some of the clips may remain in these and will need pulling out to refit on the trim. The clips on the trip should be pink and are springy so fit between 2 tracks on the trim, once fitted you can slide these clips to align with the fixing holes before pushing them in.

DFFFB4EC-E35A-43AB-B0E4-88D73DCEE888.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys.

Sorry to resurrect this thread.

I have cleaned all the rust and welded what needed welding so it's ready to put back together.

The black trim that runs under the rear screen is held down  by some sort of double sided tape, or adhesive where the wing shaped part is.

What you guys  use to secure it down? I was thinking seam sealer or silicone... But then double sided tape springs to mind?