Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alternator on IS250 Replace it or wait until it fails?

• 3 weeks later...

OK so avoid these alternators at all cost. I just finished installing it. Did everything properly and disconnected negative before installation. After I re-installed it I connected the negative and went to start the car, it was extremely loud with a very loud whining sound which I never had with my previous alternator even though previous one isn't dead yet. Then immedidately the alternator started smoking and letting out a huge amount of smoke from it and gettting louder. So i turned it off and disconnected the Battery again. Will have to dismantle it and order myself a Genuine Denso this time. This surely isn't normal. The noise was extremely loud. Going to try and return it but I get the feeling they will try dispute it with the clause on their terms saying that it has to be installed by a garage and proof has to be provided. Really annoyed 

Just an update. Avoid these alternators from Schmitz Rotary Engineering Ltd, they sell them on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132242571162 

Before I purchased it, they said to me these are really good quality and apparently it's made in the same factory as Delco Remy and that they buy factory excess stock as unbranded to keep prices down. But this is absolute rubbish. Then they put a sticker on it that matches the model number of a Lucas alternator.

These alternators are absolutely crap. I bought myself a Denso genuine one and all the problems are solved and it's perfect. I tested this rubbish eBay one with a multimeter and diodes and everything have failed. The clutch in the pulley doesn't work. Absolutely rubbish. I came across a few other people who bought from these guys and their alternators worked for few months then failed and the company doesnt take it back unless you have it professionally installed and can prove it. Luckily with me they have no choice as i'm within the eBay buyer protection time-frame and eBay have forced them to take it back. Regardless of the rubbish policies, they sold on eBay so they have to follow eBay rules.

Furthermore, the eBay's feedback system is rather flawed. Because I saw that they sold over 60 units of the alternator and they had 100% positive feedback. So I thought thats quite good. But then for example i've returned mine and because i've returned mine then I cannot leave feedback. So really the feedback isn't accurate because people who return their product can't really leave feedback. Furthermore, they sold 60+ of these but only have 9 positive feedback for these items.  If you google the company name, you will see a lot of bad reviews too.

Considering the amount of work needed to change the alternator and there are too many expensive electronics on board to be damaged by a defective alternator. It's just not worth the risk for the little bit of savings to get these crappy alternators.

• Like 1

So did your original alternator actually fail completely or did you change it out before it stopped working because you had a smell of ‘burning’ and concluded it was the alternator?

45 minutes ago, Texas said:

So did your original alternator actually fail completely or did you change it out before it stopped working because you had a smell of ‘burning’ and concluded it was the alternator?

Original alternator didn't fail completely no. The pulley and freewheel clutch on it had failed and I had really strong plastic burning smell a few times which seem like a common symptom so I thought it's just safer to change it out.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

Just reading your comments regarding your alternator problems on the IS220D/IS250 series.  Anyone help with this?

My problem is a little bit different than those above: my Battery warning light stays on after I depress the engine switch twice (to ignition mode), when systems are checked.  As soon as I start the car, the warning light goes off.  Engine off, the Battery voltage is 12.5v, engine running, no load (no lights on, etc) Battery voltage is 13.25v.

Any ideas?

When mine went it just packed in , no lights on car except LED rears. None on front no dash lights, no power steering 1am in the morning.

No warning whatsoever a bloody knight mare to fit. Small nut down the right hand side with a stupid bracket.

18 hours ago, pillyb said:

Hi guys,

Just reading your comments regarding your alternator problems on the IS220D/IS250 series.  Anyone help with this?

My problem is a little bit different than those above: my battery warning light stays on after I depress the engine switch twice (to ignition mode), when systems are checked.  As soon as I start the car, the warning light goes off.  Engine off, the battery voltage is 12.5v, engine running, no load (no lights on, etc) battery voltage is 13.25v.

Any ideas?

I think this is normal behavior since in ignition mode, the car drains the Battery but does not charge it. At least this is the case with all cars I've owned so far. Turn the key/button to the last section before actually starting the car and the Battery light should stay on.

Hi guys,

Anton, you're right.  Spoke with Lexus and as you say, its normal for the warning light to show because of the Battery drain.  Thanks a lot, all, sorted.  Good Lexusing all!