Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking at LS400 tomorrow...

I'm going to look at this car tomorrow:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1187613

If anybody knows anything about it do let me know.

I have spoken to the seller and his done some recent work on brakes and suspension to pass the last MOT. Other then that the MOT history is quite good. 

I think if the car is solid with no rust, the service history (and cambelt!!) checks out and with the recent work then the price isn't bad.

I've read a few online LS400 buyers guide so should be OK to check it out, unless theres anything specific about the 1st Gen facelift cars that I should know?

• Like 2

Looks a decent car and the mileage is fine. Certainly is a classic.

Have you had a look at the Mk4 or datewise 98-00 last of the line?

I think they all suffer similarly with front brake disc warping, front suspension, cambelt and this looks harder to replace over later models? But you have it covered.

mine's never suffered ( any of the three ) with front brake discs warping, they've been dealt with properly at the outset !

Find it amazing that the last owner ? ran the car with a bad front tyre shown up in the MOT some 3500 miles before that tyre became a dangerous failure at MOT.

That's poor maintenance ............. and after 6 months I would want a new MOT on purchase now

I would certainly be checking out all the usual stuff, like the cambelt pulleys and waterpump have been seen to as appropriate and if not within the last 60k miles then factor in @£800 to deal with that alone

These cars always polish up to near perfection so just make sure everything else is good too, especially all the inside lights and dash stuff works ok, temp gauge etc

the steering column, when faulty  these age cars is often a 20p washer that's the solution

Also I don't know if the pas pipework, reservoir etc is fine too, and won't ever leak on the alternator positioning, on my Mk1 it did but on my Mk3 never

yours looks like it's a Mk2 maybe being June 93 but maybe not.....  it's def not a Mk3

good luck with your viewing tomorrow

Malc

if you're still looking at that car

Mk1 has 15" wheels and tyres  ( brakes too ) and I think one less spoke in the wheels too than the 

Mk2  which has 16" wheels and tyres, brakes etc

Malc

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Very nice, does it have the yellow front fog lights?

I don’t think so as definitely UK specification with the 2 piece headlight units, only JDM had the single piece ones with yellow fogs like mine.

3 hours ago, MotorDevil said:

Yes I did...adding to my Lexus collection!

I'll do up a proper post about impressions and plans shortly 🙂

20200113_200844.jpg

Do you have your own private multi-storey car park?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

I don’t think so as definitely UK specification with the 2 piece headlight units, only JDM had the single piece ones with yellow fogs like mine.

I was curious as my 93 LS400 had yellow fog lights which I thought were so much better than the usual white ones.

on the Mk3 the foglights are included in the single front light split housing and are white

I don't remember either my Mk1 nor Mk2 being other than white

Malc

@The-Acre It has normal white fog lights. Would like to get the clear front indicators, seem to be hard to find though. Would freshen up the front I think.

@steve2006 I'm very fortunate to live in an apartment complext that has a lot of extra parking spaces, long may it last.

Going to go over everything this weekend and make a list of what needs to done. The antenna for the radio doesnt work, was told it got broke and is stuck now, so will have to investigate that. I read some threads that said you could wire the radio up to the car phone aeriel in a worst case scenario. 

The alloys could do with a refurb, I'm thinking if I make them a darker shade (like the IS300h F-sport ones) it would like good on the LS

The blue leather needs to be refreshed a bit too. But other then that a good clean all around and keep it all standard. 

So I went through the car today and figured a few things out.

@The-Acre You were right, I  turned on the front fogs and they are yellow. I just thought they were white because of the glass but indeed it has yellow bulbs, I like the retro look.

@rich1068 Thanks for the link, I had come across that website but havent seen the aeriel DIY, it was really useful. I found out that the motor/spool (the black unit in that link) for the aeriel is missing, must have broken on a previous owner. I'll see if I can source a 2nd hand motor.

I looked for the cabin filter but none there, so nothing to do there at least. 

I noticed some white smoke on startup and read about the power steering valve problem, the fluid wasnt low so need to keep an eye on it.

Plan now is an oil & filter change. And then on interior, the leather is very dry so will try freshen that up.

There should be a Cabin Filter. Its a double and its the Passenger side footwell - looking upward.  Can't recall exactly how I got to it (probably need remove the panel)  but do remember its a bit of a task to change. If its never been changed it will be full of dust, dirt and bits of tree debris.

• Like 1

The filter on my 400 was accessed through the glove box. It is important to have one fitted, otherwise all sorts of crud can enter the heating/cooling system. I used to remove mine once a year and blow it through with an air line.

4 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

There should be a Cabin Filter. Its a double and its the Passenger side footwell - looking upward.  Can't recall exactly how I got to it (probably need remove the panel)  but do remember its a bit of a task to change. If its never been changed it will be full of dust, dirt and bits of tree debris.

Yes, an awkward thing to get to on the early one, you need a good flexible neck (which I no longer have!) and because of where it is it can easily get overlooked.