Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyres: Michelin Primacy 4 or Avon ZX7

My RX300 on 18" wheels needs two new front tyres. The worn ones to be replaced are currently Avon ZX7 with a pair of mid range 'General' Tyres on the back (shame it's not the Generals which need replacing).

Both the Mich Primacy 4 and Avon ZX7 score well on quietness (important to me) but the Avon seems better regarded for grip/ride while the Michelin Primacy 4 seems to score much better on fuel economy being more of a road tyre and less an SUV tyre. Once the 'Generals' on the rear need replacing, I will match up with the front tyres, so future availability is also a consideration.

I will rarely, if ever, be off roading, so, 99.9% road car, my driving style is calm, I'm no racer and like trundling along on the motorway, so high speed handling is not important.... fuel economy is attractive, but my gut says go with the Avons... I did have Primacy 3s on my LS400 which were very good. Has anyone has Primacy 4's on their RX? I could be persuaded! 

I had the Avon ZX7s all round on my RX300 and they were superb in all conditions.

I've never had Michelin Primacy on any car so can't compare but they would have to be very exceptional for me to choose them over the ZX7s.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the input. I went with Avons. The Primacy 4 sound good on a saloon car but I can't find any word on their use with an SUV and get the feeling they were not really designed with them in mind. The Crossclimates fit the bill and get thumbs up here, but seem in a similar ball park to the Avons which also get the thumbs up here. So I choose to go with what I already have on the front which do feel sure footed.

• Like 2

Put x2 new Avon’s on my RX300 in Nov after identifying the previous tyres needed replacing when buying the car. Been great so far. When I had my first RX300 back in 2008 I think I fitted General Grabber tyres, which to be honest were fine also.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 7:57 PM, TesLex said:

Michelin Crossclimate SUV. Best year round tyres for your driving style in UK climate. See this test: https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Summer-All-Season-and-Winter-Tyres-Tested-at-0c-15c.htm

I couldn't agree more. They are nothing short of excellent.  I've had them on my RX 450h for two months now.  They have changed the ride from the previous Dunlops.  They run very smooth and ultra quiet.  Very comfortable in the rain.  I'm very happy.  I did a lot of research prior to choosing these tyres.  Cross referencing reviews here and online tyre sites. It was worth it.  I've finally understood the difference the right tyre can make. They're not cheap but I did at least pick them up on Black Friday so got 15% off.  Couldn't be happier. Buy these with confidence.

I have to make a choice on tyres for 2016 450F Sport.

Choices are

Michelin CrossClimate at £223 each

Continental UHP at £223

Yokahama V201 or Geolander at £174

Should i go for Michelin CC even though its £50 a tyre more, and will they last longer?

I've got Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen 2 on mine, which are equal to Michelin CC in most reviews, so don't discount them from your choices as they truly are excellent tyres.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Silversalmon said:

Kwik Fit have the best price at the moment, just bought 4 235 55 19 Michelin Cross Climaye for £583?

That's a decent price. Is that only if you buy all four, or would they do a pair for half that?

PGLex, the Crossclimates will last longer, so will be cheaper in the end.

Herbie, I agree, the Good Years are very very good tyres, especially in the wet, but the Michelins are better on dry roads and they last longer.