Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I’m not from London so I didn’t know much about the ULEZ. But I went there recently to collect a friend from the airport and was shocked to find out my LS430 is compliant. Very clean cars for what they are. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I've got a late 2000 LS430 and according to TfL it is not compliant - I am assuming that as 2001 and 2002 cars have been marked as compliant mine should be too and I can dispute this, but according to TfL I need a certificate from Lexus. Does anyone know who at Lexus to speak to about this, as the dealership likely won't be interested in a 20 year old car!

(V5 on the car does not show any emissions or Euro status info. I'm asking as, although I live in beautiful Devon, I have family who have moved up to London).

Thanks!

Hi

Go to the Lexus UK website and there is a department that deals with this . It is not a dealership it is the Official Base Of Lexus UK

Go to the owners section and scroll down to conformity.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone that sees this in the future - I contacted the Lexus Certificate of Conformity department to check if my late 2000 registered model LS430 was in principle Euro 4 compliant before I paid them for a certificate. 

They have just got back to me, and stated that based on my VIN, my car is not Euro 4 - it was Euro 3 compliant when built. 

To quote the email from Lexus:

Thank you for your email.

I have checked and our records show that at the time of manufacture your vehicle VIN number: [REDACTED] complied with Euro 3 emission standards.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. 

Kind regards,

[REDACTED]

Certificate of Conformity Co-Ordinator 
First Line Customer Support
Toyota (GB) PLC

So it looks like many (most?) LS430 are Euro 4 compliant (and therefore ULEZ exempt), but some of the early ones like mine are not.

Shame.

19 minutes ago, RgrWynne said:

That’s a bit if a bummer for you . Just checked and mine is ok , late 2002, not that I will probably need it. Cheers, Roger

And we complain about the cost of owning cars !

can't understand how it's only 105 steps ....  my house is 38 steps (  lower )  ground floor at the back to top floor......:wink3:

I'd sure go for the Tesco Home Delivery slot whatever and off road parking might be ok now too ....... emissions compliant, just a dream to ever owning a car there I guess

Malc

• 9 months later...
On 5/12/2020 at 11:00 AM, TessierAshpool said:

For anyone that sees this in the future - I contacted the Lexus Certificate of Conformity department to check if my late 2000 registered model LS430 was in principle Euro 4 compliant before I paid them for a certificate. 

They have just got back to me, and stated that based on my VIN, my car is not Euro 4 - it was Euro 3 compliant when built. 

To quote the email from Lexus:

So it looks like many (most?) LS430 are Euro 4 compliant (and therefore ULEZ exempt), but some of the early ones like mine are not.

Shame.

I also have a late 2000 LS430 and live within the CC and ULE zones.

My late 2000 LS430 came up as NOT exempt from ULEZ, despite 2001 onwards LS430s are ULEZ exempt. I was gutted and most reluctant to make such car redundant due to some stupid charge, I started to google. 

Although built in the era of EURO 3, the LS430 was an early adopter (TFL term) and exceeds EURO 4 standards (even EURO 5 compliant on CO, HC and NOx, although the CoC did not show PM values):

Euro 4 emission limits (petrol)                                    LS430

CO –      1.0 g/km                                                              0.230 g/km

HC –       0.10 g/km                                                           0.040 g/km

NOx –    0.08 g/km                                                           0.020 g/km

PM –      N/A for petrol

source: http://www.emissionsfinder.com/lexus-all-models-ls430-43cc
https://blog.lexus.co.uk/innovations-of-the-third-generation-lexus-ls/

As all the LS430 had the same 3UZ-FE engine, and since the MoT emission requirement for 2000-2006 LS430s were identical, I wondered if there was any difference in emission pre/post 2001.

I researched and contacted Lexus, they were not able to confirm/deny in email communications any difference between pre and post 2001 LS430s. 

Initially Lexus emailed an EURO Emission Letter stating the obvious, EURO 3 compliant (as the car was built under this regime).

I went on to press for the detailed emission figures, Lexus then sent me a duplicate Certificate of Conformity, which confirmed 2000 LS430 has the above emission figures, same as post 2001 LS.

(without asking me for the £75, but probably because I bought my LS430 from Lexus dealer and I was not given the CoC at the time).

I just made an application to TFL with the CoC and V5, will see if they grant the ULEZ exemption.

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 15.23.52.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FIP said:

I also have a late 2000 LS430 and live within the CC and ULE zones.

My late 2000 LS430 came up as NOT exempt from ULEZ, despite 2001 onwards LS430s are ULEZ exempt. I was gutted and most reluctant to make such car redundant due to some stupid charge, I started to google. 

Although built in the era of EURO 3, the LS430 was an early adopter (TFL term) and exceeds EURO 4 standards (even EURO 5 compliant on CO, HC and NOx, although the CoC did not show PM values):

Euro 4 emission limits (petrol)                                    LS430

CO –      1.0 g/km                                                              0.230 g/km

HC –       0.10 g/km                                                           0.040 g/km

NOx –    0.08 g/km                                                           0.020 g/km

PM –      N/A for petrol

source: http://www.emissionsfinder.com/lexus-all-models-ls430-43cc
https://blog.lexus.co.uk/innovations-of-the-third-generation-lexus-ls/

As all the LS430 had the same 3UZ-FE engine, and since the MoT emission requirement for 2000-2006 LS430s were identical, I wondered if there was any difference in emission pre/post 2001.

I researched and contacted Lexus, they were not able to confirm/deny in email communications any difference between pre and post 2001 LS430s. 

Initially Lexus emailed an EURO Emission Letter stating the obvious, EURO 3 compliant (as the car was built under this regime).

I went on to press for the detailed emission figures, Lexus then sent me a duplicate Certificate of Conformity, which confirmed 2000 LS430 has the above emission figures, same as post 2001 LS.

(without asking me for the £75, but probably because I bought my LS430 from Lexus dealer and I was not given the CoC at the time).

I just made an application to TFL with the CoC and V5, will see if they grant the ULEZ exemption.

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 15.23.52.png

Very interested to see how you get on because if you are successful, mine being a 2003 Celsior/LS430 with the same engine I should be in the same position.

On 2/19/2021 at 9:45 PM, The-Acre said:

Very interested to see how you get on because if you are successful, mine being a 2003 Celsior/LS430 with the same engine I should be in the same position.

Just received confirmation of ULEZ exemption (within 2 working days) from TFL for my (late 2000) LS430.  Hooray! 

I believe all 2000-2006 (UK) LS430 are ULEZ/EURO 4 compliant. 

The CoC is worth getting if you don't already have it (even if at £75). 

1964001395_ScreenShot2021-02-22at16_23_19.thumb.png.a84dbd898edbed715e1b3c2c71acb8b5.png

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FIP said:

Just received confirmation of ULEZ exemption (within 2 working days) from TFL for my (late 2000) LS430.  Hooray! 

I believe all 2000-2006 (UK) LS430 are ULEZ/EURO 4 compliant. 

The CoC is worth getting if you don't already have it (even if at £75). 

1964001395_ScreenShot2021-02-22at16_23_19.thumb.png.a84dbd898edbed715e1b3c2c71acb8b5.png

Excellent news indeed Franco. Thanks for sharing.

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

Hi folks, wondered if any early registered owners in scotland have applied for exemption on their 2000 Ls. I'm close to dundee so it would be handy to be able to go in the LEZ. Even if it were to cost me a one off £75 for the exemption certificate. Obviously when I search my vehicle reg on the Scottish search site it comes up as not exempt. Would assume I should be able to get a cert like other owners in London/England.

7 hours ago, MartinEGF said:

Hi folks, wondered if any early registered owners in scotland have applied for exemption on their 2000 Ls. I'm close to dundee so it would be handy to be able to go in the LEZ. Even if it were to cost me a one off £75 for the exemption certificate. Obviously when I search my vehicle reg on the Scottish search site it comes up as not exempt. Would assume I should be able to get a cert like other owners in London/England.

Martin hi, I have no idea on this BUT might you ask your legal whatever team at the RAC / AA or whichever motoring body you belong to

They might have a definitive practical solution !

Malc

You should be able to get an exemption as the limits are the same as the London ULEZ limits. You will need to get a copy of the Certificate of Conformity which will show that your vehicle complies with EURO 4, and therefore should be LEZ exempt.
However, be aware that these ULEZ/LEZ can all change their requirements and probably will fairly soon. It won't be long before EURO 5 or the post-Brexit equivalent will be the minimum, and then the LS430 will become vehiculum-non-grata much like the LS400 already is.

I have a 1989 carburetted motorcycle that has no CAT and is currently not allowed into London unless I want to pay the ULEZ charge (£12.50 per day).
However, from Nov 2029 onwards it will become exempt as it will be over 40 years old. It will also no longer require an annual MOT or road tax.
A friend rides his smoky stinky MZ ETZ250 two-stroke to work in London regularly, but because it was first registered in 1982 it is exempt. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As I now own Phil’s Celsior and was aware it did not meet the required standards even though an equivalent UK specification model did I contacted the DVLA.

Several weeks later and despite explaining it was a JDM import they requested a letter from the manufacturer confirming it met Euro standards.

Toyota UK obviously wouldn’t be able to do this and contacting Toyota in Japan is more or less impossible.

Regarding the vehicle tax being cheaper this is because the taxation class is based on engine size ( up to 1500cc or above 1501cc) and not emissions based as is the case with UK cars.

• Like 1

But my 2004 with exactly the same engine and emissions controls is compliant.
If I was you I'd file a complaint as their systems are obviously wrong. Nothing new there. 🤣

• Like 1

CV .  I'm a little superfluous to this argument BUT we are discussing Scottish regimes and we all know, it's been proven, that they really are a law unto themselves and if Nic Sturgeon had one it would of course be EXEMPT as would the £100k motorhome paid for by the Scottish people, well the SNP Party faithful, on her Mum-in-Laws driveway 

Suggest you don't move north with this car nor travel the length and breadth of that wonderfully beautiful Scottish nation, unless of course you avoid the cities where Scot ULEZ applies

SULEZ or SLEZ could be an anagram for ????   ......................  answers on a postcard or even here please   😅

Malc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

a month has passed and methinks we're about to see a raft of good Ls400s appearing in the for sale ads coz it's dawning on owners in those fresh to be ULEZ areas ( in London anyway ) that the £12.50 a day to keep a beloved Ls400 just ain't worth it anymore .......  unless Herr Khan's proposals for extension are thrown asunder

Let's see how this all pans out 

Malc

• 4 months later...
On 5/30/2023 at 5:45 PM, Lexus_2023 said:

It seems it is not compliant on the following zones as well ....🤔

zone.jpg

Update:   It appears that Clean Air Zone doesn't/didn't receive the correct data from DVLA, hence my car(LS430, 2002) was not compliant at couple of locations. It's been rectified now after I spoke to them directly. 

image.thumb.png.193fb7a02c06805ad44548463db6a798.png

So If you believe your vehicle meets the criteria but the checker says you must pay the daily charge, contact the central Clean Air Zone support service on 0300 029 8888 to fix the data discrepancy. Lines are open from 8am to 7pm between Monday and Friday (except bank holidays) and 8am to 2pm on Saturday.