Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Where can I find a steering rack?

Hi all

ive been advised by my mechanic my 90k 2004 UL requires a new rack due to clunk in steering wheel. I don’t fancy a £1300 Lexus price but equally cautious about buying a second hand clunking one too. 

can anyone help? Refurbished or oem equivalent new links?

thank you

6 minutes ago, Herbie said:

This company are great to deal with and reasonably priced too. They even do a 48-hour remanufacture of your own if they don't have one:

https://www.carparts-direct.co.uk/steering-racks

You Herbie are a legend. Thank you 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

This is what I thought. None that I am aware of at the moment. I had it in with a mechanic I trust and he seems to think I have two issues with my car currently. The steering rack ( I have a horrible clunking when moving the steering wheel to the left but not to the right, the car has been up on a rack and the track rods and suspension inspected at the front) 

I also have rear sub frame bushes I'm told that are shot as the car is creaking like an old man. It's been on a ramp and been inspected again keeping the weight on the wheels. 

I feel I have two big jobs coming up. I'm nervous about the outlay on a rack and it still being there but I plan on keeping the car so I'm kind of the mindset to go with it....

Wouldn't it be better to examine with the weight off the wheels?   Do you have a MOT coming up any time soon and is it with a third party or your mechanic?  Might be worth getting a MOT to hear a second opinion?  I'm not knowledgeable on sub frame bushes? but Upper Control Arms might be worn though seems unlikely on such a young Car.  I have a worn hub bush which does squeek.  Have had new rear UCA's for three years now as told they may need changing but not had MOT advisory so they are still in their bags. Rare that Mechanics are more rigid than MOT inspectors. 

• 1 month later...

Mot is due in April yes so as an update I’ve held off doing the rack at the moment. Main symptoms are a slight knocking if I rock wheel to left when stationary but fine if I rock to the right. Starting to wonder if if it’s a track rod end?

Another symptoms spotted which kind of made me use my anus to bite the seat was going round a left hand turn and as the weights on the right side of the car and the road became bumpy it felt like the wheel was skipping over the bumps creating bad understeer. 

4 new tyres on this week though to cure grip issues but it was still transmitting heavily through steering wheel

Jon, I have had similar on my LS 400 83000 miles, a bit of a wobble through the steering wheel. I have  already had nearside ball joint replaced as that was shot, offside is being done this week as well as Track rod ends and ties on both sides.

I have recently found a great local garage with the latest MOT gear that now looks after our cars. They have a shaker plate that can stress and expose faults on bushes and bearings which revealed my cars issues.

The suspenders on these cars are superbly comfortable and fit for purpose on most normal roads but for our sh.te assault course roads they can take a battering. I was making this point to another member on here on a different post ( He took it as a bit of an attack on him which was silly) Motorists here somehow need to gang up together a bit like the lorry drivers did when fuel went through the roof in the Blair era. But as ever we will not, we just moan and take it up the butt. At this house we blast e-mails at our useless politicians about the state of the place, including third world esque pot holed litter strewn road system it is a disgrace and getting more dangerous to dodge the holes and the multi layed surfaces. 

2 hours ago, ChiefLShin said:

Mot is due in April yes so as an update I’ve held off doing the rack at the moment. Main symptoms are a slight knocking if I rock wheel to left when stationary but fine if I rock to the right. Starting to wonder if if it’s a track rod end?

Another symptoms spotted which kind of made me use my anus to bite the seat was going round a left hand turn and as the weights on the right side of the car and the road became bumpy it felt like the wheel was skipping over the bumps creating bad understeer. 

4 new tyres on this week though to cure grip issues but it was still transmitting heavily through steering wheel

I put a post on yesterday re my steering column, I wonder if you have the same issue and it's just the universal joint. If you grab the joint down in the footwell and rock the steering wheel have a feel for movement.  The steering rack bushes can also wear causing a knock/rattle but they're fairly easily replaced.

I notice Rockauto do a new (or refurbished) rack for about £250 but you have to pay a deposit which is refunded when you return your old one, just inconvenient being in the US but should you need one it might be an option.

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

I put a post on yesterday re my steering column, I wonder if you have the same issue and it's just the universal joint. If you grab the joint down in the footwell and rock the steering wheel have a feel for movement.  The steering rack bushes can also wear causing a knock/rattle but they're fairly easily replaced.

I notice Rockauto do a new (or refurbished) rack for about £250 but you have to pay a deposit which is refunded when you return your old one, just inconvenient being in the US but should you need one it might be an option.

It’s funny you mention that because I took it to one garage and one of their mechanics showed me how it stopped when he gripped the universal joint. 
The second mechanic said when the car was on lift (weight on wheels) he could see play in the rack. I don’t know whether to go to another garage. 

Sent a query form through to Toyotas at Peterborough and they never responded.

2 minutes ago, ChiefLShin said:

It’s funny you mention that because I took it to one garage and one of their mechanics showed me how it stopped when he gripped the universal joint. 
The second mechanic said when the car was on lift (weight on wheels) he could see play in the rack. I don’t know whether to go to another garage. 

Sent a query form through to Toyotas at Peterborough and they never responded.

I must say I don't ever remember anyone saying they need a new rack.  Mine isn't a problem, just a slight annoyance.  Trouble is I can't find the shaft being sold anywhere, and I'm not going to a main dealer as it'll be another shafting!

• Haha 2

if it was me I think I would be getting a totally new and independent view on this, with totally fresh eyes and ears, and maybe not even telling the new people what you think it might be .................. before i parted with a penny !

Malc

I have never come across a failed or knocking steering shaft being reported on this forum in twenty years.

I agree with Malcolm get another inspection of the steering setup and all of the bushes and joints associated with it.

16 minutes ago, ambermarine said:

I have never come across a failed or knocking steering shaft being reported on this forum in twenty years.

I agree with Malcolm get another inspection of the steering setup and all of the bushes and joints associated with it.

It's certainly something I've never come across.  I've read of them leaking but that's really it. Although in my case I do have a rattle on the joint.

1 minute ago, steve2006 said:

Wasn’t there a recall or problem with the steering column universal joint clamp bolt either coming loose or dropping out on this model?

You're scaring me now!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links