Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Should I repair or ditch it?

Techgirl

I’ve been driving a 2006 220d for a couple of years now. 

the shock on the passenger side has gone.

One Xenon randomly fails within 5 mins of drive time and my whole lighting system headlights and all just switch off! The light is very weak when it’s on anyway so it’s hard to tell. 

the ‘check VLC’ warning refuses to leave my display despite forking our for a reconditioned DPF and CAT and one new sensor. (It must be the other sensor) the company who ‘fixed’ that the first time now have my car again because...

the Clutch has gone and it needs a whole new everything!

i bought the car for £1700. 
They are quoting me £1000 to fix the clutch. 
I’ve asked them to quote to fix the rest. I love driving a Lexus but resale value is £1500. Should I scrap it or should I repair it? 

It's not only what the car is "worth", it is the cost to change and who knows how reliable the replacement is?  I think a lot of the dissatisfaction with these cars is because of a lack of knowledge on how the causes and fixes of problems.  I used to moan about mine going into limp mode due to DPF problems but it turns out it was leaking a slight bit of air into the intake system and the ECU detected the MAF readings were out (too lean).  KYB replacement shocks were a lot cheaper than the orfiginals.  I do not drive it much now, but when I do I appreciate the style and comfort.  Still has poor lights(halogen not xenon) and gear change sometimes though.

On 1/12/2020 at 9:06 AM, Techgirl said:

I’ve been driving a 2006 220d for a couple of years now. 

the shock on the passenger side has gone.

One xenon randomly fails within 5 mins of drive time and my whole lighting system headlights and all just switch off! The light is very weak when it’s on anyway so it’s hard to tell. 

the ‘check VLC’ warning refuses to leave my display despite forking our for a reconditioned DPF and CAT and one new sensor. (It must be the other sensor) the company who ‘fixed’ that the first time now have my car again because...

the Clutch has gone and it needs a whole new everything!

i bought the car for £1700. 
They are quoting me £1000 to fix the clutch. 
I’ve asked them to quote to fix the rest. I love driving a Lexus but resale value is £1500. Should I scrap it or should I repair it? 

If you have had enough and not in "love" with it anymore then best to cut your loses and replace it but if you still have a soft spot for it then might aswell spend the £1000 + fixing the issues as you already "know" the car. even if say you replace it with another car(which will cost just as much), you may still end up spending on replacing a few bits and bops depending on how "new" it is. and we all know the "newer" the car, the more it costs upfront to purchase it which defeats the whole purpose of being economically viable as you are even spending more ££'s to buy it in the first place.

so just weigh the pros and cons and go from there..