Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking to buy a 2008-ish IS 2.2d, need advice please

I used to own an LS400 many years ago and it was such a great car, reliable and super cheap on parts too. I have been looking at the IS 2.2 diesel and seen many conflicting reports on reliability. On honest John the review seems good but only give it 3 stars, the customers reviews give it 5 stars yet talk about a lot of issues. I see a lot of problems with the diesel particulate filter, which seems fairly common on many brands, but also mentions of this forum of "horror stories" with the engine, I don't know what to think. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

I would stay clear of the IS220d. Lots of issues with the engine and gear box that are all well documented on here. It’s a car that Lexus should have never built as it did their reputation no favours. Buy an IS250 Auto. We ours over a period of 8 years and 90k miles with no mechanical issues. A brilliant car. 

• Thanks 1

Please Do Not get a 220! It is the worst car ever to wear a L badge and it will be a completely opposite experience to when you owned the LS. Have a quick search on this forum ( mainly in the Engine / Gearbox section) to see the number of problems that get reported from DERV owners.

Here is a tale of woe and all to common a story, don't let it be you!

Well I'm going to be completely contradictory to previous comments!  I have had two IS220D, 98K approx on each, no issues other than regular service at Lexus and clean EGR valve from time to time.  Yes could have been better designed by Lexus and the reworked version is far better.     I now have an IS200D F sport, different car altogether, No issues, regular service at Lexus and two warranty claims in two years, Screen washer pump and door actuator.  In think the 200 is a great improvement.   Speak as you find, I love my 200D F-sport.

With all modern diesels the way that it has been driven affects the issues they suffer. 

Having owned many modern diesels I had no problems because my car was always hot and travelling big miles. (4 Ford's, Fiat Punto, Alfa Romeo, Mini Cooper x2. Mercedes C220, Mercedes E250 cabriolet). 

I know a number of people who bought diesel cars to pootle a mile or so to the shops. 

These people have all had huge repair bills. ( makes include Toyota RAV 4 - issues at less than 3000 miles, Audi A6, VW golf, VW Touran). I wanted a Lexus for a long time and was put off by the reports I read on the diesel. I waited until the Hybrid was in budget for that reason. 

I would suggest that if you are buying a used Diesel Lexus the chance of finding a car that has always been running hot are fairly slim and would therefore avoid  to prevent any potential issues. 

I bought a 2006 IS220D 19 months ago for £1,475 with high mileage but full history. Independent after 5 years Lexus.

174,000 when bought. Ran well, and no issues until 18 months later apart from I replaced an injecter seal.

Using coolant about 0.25 of a litre. No leaks visible, no oil mixing, no misfire, still ran great Temp bang on and no overheating. Went on a 450 mile holiday to IOW. Topped up twice. Down from max to Minimum.

Returned then soon needing topping up every trip, followed by the coolant pressurising and overflowing from overflow. Sold it for spares repairs and got £350 for it. Going to be stripped of  cat, injectors, lights and then weighed in. It covered 13,000 miles with me.

To be honest though the turbo lag and crappy miss matched 6 speed gearbox made it worse.  30mph needed 3rd and 6th needed 80mph upwards or felt laboured. Build quality great and after fitting new Ac condenser everything worked.

Would I buy another IS220D? No, Run fast away! Never gave great MPG. 33mpg winter summer 36-39mpg

If you have 4k, buy a Prius Hybrid mk2.

I treated myself to an Auris hybrid. So far like it.

Buy the IS250 Auto!

James.

• 2 weeks later...

I too had an LS400 for around 16 years - wonderful car. On a couple of occasions I was given the diesel IS as a courtesy car - as others have said, I would strongly advise you to steer clear - even my dealer said they were very poor and a bit of an embarrassment to Lexus - quite a few other options - if you can cope with fuel economy which I am guessing you can coming from the LS the then IS250 would be a great option - again had these as courtesy cars in the past and they were lovely - almost a 'mini' LS.

It would be interesting to know what make OP think the IS220d is what they need?

The reason I am asking is that most people assume V6 petrol is by default going to be "gas guzzler" and diesel is more economical. First of all on average IS250 auto is far more fuel efficient than people think, secondly when adjusted for repair costs it works out much cheaper + much better to drive. The only exception is if you doing big miles ... and I mean big big miles like 30k a year. In such case there is rationale in getting diesel, just maybe not Lexus IS220d.

The other thing about IS200d (the updated engine) - many fail to realise that Lexus has detuned the engine to keep it more reliable (from 175 to 152hp), IS200d is noticeable more slower, but more reliable - obviously if the power is not a issue then perhaps good choice, still the gearbox remains weird and unsuitable for UK driving.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links