Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Space saver spare wheel.

Peter Collins

I have read that members are having trouble with finding space for a space saver spare wheel. I was the same and wanted a spare wheel and not the gunge inflator supplied with my Ct200h. I bought a spare wheel on E-Bay then came the problem of the box that would not fit with the wheel in position. I cut enough of the box bottom away so that it cleared the spare wheel. I then screwed 1" x !/2" wood strips to the inside of the sides of the box approx.2 1/4" down from the top edge of the box. Next using strong cardboard I made a template to fit inside the box which I then transposed on to a 1/4" thick MDF sheet. This was then covered by a cheap carpet purchased at QD I hope the photos show it better than my description of the procedure. Hope this helps. Peter Collins.

20200111_173314.thumb.jpg.22e07126d9e010a6da2df6307cb55626.jpg20200111_173702.thumb.jpg.ac2c808d17faa0145228b1896520c608.jpg20200111_173359.thumb.jpg.87f11d4d356df0cd88776833b4d3d38c.jpg20200112_155201.thumb.jpg.2886f7d92716b60dab51f2c4488d4de2.jpg

3 hours ago, booke02 said:

Nice job.

How is the wheel secured (in case of an accident)?

This.
Massive amount of force in an unsecured wheel. Will easily seriously injure or kill occupants.
There are usually plenty of anchorage points in the boot. Find a way of ratchet strapping it in place, or covering it in some kind of cargo net (not elastic type). Assuming there is no bolt hole for retention the the traditional way.

• Confused 1

Where the original tool box or storage place so to speak, was bolted to the boot floor I made a short piece of 3/4" flat steel bar, found a longer bolt and fastened the wheel down with this in the hole vacated by the tool box.

I have a space saver wheel from a prius,have used it once in anger.I secured it with an original hand turned threaded bolt which i found on a scrapped Toyota celica,the thread was identical.

As for the storage box i removed it entirely and find you can store items around the spare.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links