Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cam belt failure

peasoup39

16 minutes ago, peasoup39 said:

New to this model and want to do the cam belt. Can anyone advise if these are interference engines?

In other words if the cam belt goes do the valves hit the pistons or not.

Yes, interference engines!

• Like 1

Ok thanks for that.

As there is no record of the belt being done i have to look at my options. 

I have contacted Lexus to see if they have centralised records which may show that it has been done but do not expect much luck there.

Also asked the markings/make of the belt used in 2005 production to see if it is still the same belt. There must be somebody out there  who is is "geeky" enough on Lexus facts to know that?????.

Will also try previous owners.

Any other suggestions?

I bought the car at the right price  with 150K on the clock knowing that i may have to do the belt. At this mileage i am assuming that it was done around the 100K mark but if i cannot prove it then i will get it done.  Word is the belts are good for 180K but should be changed at 90K so i will need to act fairly quickly. I have garage facilities and my own lift so with the help of U tube i will have a weeks fun sorting it out.myself.

There is normally a sticker placed in the engine bay indicating a belt change. May be worth getting a quote from Lexus as the prices for older models can be quite competitive, as mentioned get the pump and idler/tensioner replaced at the same time. If you are planning DIY you can get quality kits like Aisin from the USA.

On 1/16/2020 at 2:54 PM, peasoup39 said:

Also asked the markings/make of the belt used in 2005 production to see if it is still the same belt. There must be somebody out there  who is is "geeky" enough on Lexus facts to know that?????.

I don't believe this is possible to tell the difference between a factory fitted belt and a genuine spare - same part, same markings.

• Like 1

Lexus don't make belts  !!!  nor waterpumps, nor alternators come to that .......

Gates do ................ and a few others all I assume of immense reputational quality that Lexus would be proud to fit as OEM

Malc

As Steve mentioned, with my last SC430 the previous owner had lost all the history and didn't even know what a cambelt was.

Always better to buy from someone who knows nothing about cars generally.

There was however a small plate in the front of the engine bay about 1x7 cms  (can't remember exactly where) but it had the mileage when belt changes by Lexus Plymouth.

Worth a check.

P.S. When I change my belt, using a kit with water pump and bearings, I found a great post on youtube for same engine LS430. 

Thanks for your feedback.

At present Lexus Bradford who did a lot of the servicing work have no record of a belt change. My letters to previous owners from the service history have not had a response and there are no labels or stickers under the bonnet.

I am of the opinion that it has not been done so now looking for options. Do it myself or trust it to my usual genius garage man to do it for me.

Thanks everyone

14 hours ago, peasoup39 said:

trust it to my usual genius garage man to do it for me.

sounds a sensible option and it probably won't be hugely expensive

just factor in serpentine belt change and antifreeze too

Malc

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got a reply from all previous owners who advised nobody had changed the cam belt. As it was on 150K and i have lots of records of work being done over the years by Lexus i am surprised that they did not mention it to owners at the time the importance of getting this done.

Anyway my Local maestro mechanic did it for £160.00 labour plus parts from Europarts so saved me the hastle of what would probably have  taken me a week to sort out myself.

Today was the day i finally got to drive it for the first time. i was not disappointed. i have previously owned 3 different GS300 cars and they were the best marque  i have owned and this took me back to the shear joy of a silent car with total comfort and total luxury. You point it, sit back and relax and it just floats along. Shear joy.

It goes in next month for the airbag recall so hopefully i can get the only other problem resolved which is pairing it to my Iphone. A small issue as i do not really want to answer the phone when i am out enjoying the drive.