Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2017 IS300H advice

teamaker

Hi everyone,

I’ve been lurking here for a while reading all about Lexus’ and I am now decided that I’m going to buy one.

I just thought I would ask for some advice on anything I should think about or watch out for as I search for the right one.

I am hoping to get a face lifted IS300H so 2017 onwards, ideally in the Advance trim.

There are a couple of things I’m worried/ thinking about, if would be great to get your thoughts alongside anything else you think is worth mentioning?

1. Speaker quality, almost all the ones I’ve looked at have the 6 speaker arrangement, what’s the quality like? I’ve heard mixed reviews... is there anything I could do to improve it?

2. apple CarPlay is quite a big deal for me, not enough to pick another car but enough to try and implement it properly with a third party solution... I’m interested in the vLine2 system from GROM which from research seems to be the best? Has anyone installed this into their Lexus and if so could I fire some questions at you?

Thanks a lot, I look forward to contributing more when I’m fully in the club!

56 minutes ago, teamaker said:

Hi everyone,

I’ve been lurking here for a while reading all about Lexus’ and I am now decided that I’m going to buy one.

I just thought I would ask for some advice on anything I should think about or watch out for as I search for the right one.

I am hoping to get a face lifted IS300H so 2017 onwards, ideally in the Advance trim.

There are a couple of things I’m worried/ thinking about, if would be great to get your thoughts alongside anything else you think is worth mentioning?

1. Speaker quality, almost all the ones I’ve looked at have the 6 speaker arrangement, what’s the quality like? I’ve heard mixed reviews... is there anything I could do to improve it?

2. Apple CarPlay is quite a big deal for me, not enough to pick another car but enough to try and implement it properly with a third party solution... I’m interested in the vLine2 system from GROM which from research seems to be the best? Has anyone installed this into their Lexus and if so could I fire some questions at you?

Thanks a lot, I look forward to contributing more when I’m fully in the club!

Welcome teamaker.

Have you driven one yet, as they are not everyone`s cup of tea---if you forgive the pun !

Welcome teamaker.
Have you driven one yet, as they are not everyone`s cup of tea---if you forgive the pun !

I have briefly driven both a GS and two IS’. I liked them but I’d be interested to know why you say that...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, teamaker said:

I have briefly driven both a GS and two IS’. I liked them but I’d be interested to know why you say that...

OP  possibly says this because some people don't get on with the ECVT gear system - let's face it the motoring press are always critical for some unknown reason. 

I've got the 6 speaker system in my IS300h. I had the Mark Levinson system in my IS250 so it's a bit of a come down. It's good enough though - better than many other systems I've experienced. 

9 hours ago, teamaker said:

Teamaker,

Your initial thread entry stated that you had read all about Lexus, you did not say that you had driven any.

Many people who say they want one subsequently form the view that

1. They do not have the street cred of an Audi or BMW (if that is what you want)

2. The ECVT box is unlike any conventional gearbox

3. They defy convention

4. The infotainment systems are not at the forefront of technology.

5. It is for older drivers.

and I thought that you should experience for yourself, rather than just read all about them.

Do let us all know of your decision whatever you do.

4 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Teamaker,

Your initial thread entry stated that you had read all about Lexus, you did not say that you had driven any.

1. They do not have the street cred of an Audi or BMW (if that is what you want)

3. They defy convention

and I thought that you should experience for yourself, rather than just read all about them.

For me:

6. It isn't an Audi, BMW or Mercedes....

• Like 1

OP  possibly says this because some people don't get on with the ECVT gear system - let's face it the motoring press are always critical for some unknown reason. 

I don’t mind the CVT at all, I got in to drive one expecting it to be bad after what I read but I just didn’t get it. I quite like the idea.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

I've got the 6 speaker system in my IS300h. I had the Mark Levinson system in my IS250 so it's a bit of a come down. It's good enough though - better than many other systems I've experienced. 

The ML system would be the dream but I have seen very few come up in the age and price range I’m looking at. I also haven’t seen any of the 8 speaker system at all! I guess most people aren’t paying for that upgrade

For me:
6. It isn't an Audi, BMW or Mercedes....

Not interested at all in a Mercedes and I want Indicators so BMW is out. To be honest I’ve gone off German cars recently after reading about the reliability of Toyota and Lexus. I’ve run my car into the ground and it’s always been bomb proof so I took it for granted but recently it’s started playing up (hence the new car hunt) and reliability and build quality is a massive thing for me.

1 minute ago, teamaker said:

Not interested at all in a Mercedes and I want Indicators so BMW is out. 

I had an odd experience last night. A 19 reg 3 series jumped the lights I was waiting at, and then cut up another driver at the next roundabout. But, and here's the thing - it did indicate to show which way it was going. I was stunned.

Teamaker,
3. They defy convention

1. I want the opposite, I like how understated they are. Quiet quality over street cred any day.

2. I’m fine with the ECVT. Read bad things on the reviews but didn’t see the issue myself

3. That’s okay.

4. Yeah that worries me the most, I’m just hoping I can live with it or add the CarPlay option by installing a vLine box.

5. Not bothered. I don’t see the IS as an old persons car at all.

My only other concern is I’ve read that the drivers seat bolster gets badly worn quite quickly which isn’t good. For such an expensive car that will annoy me.

• Like 1

I had an odd experience last night. A 19 reg 3 series jumped the lights I was waiting at, and then cut up another driver at the next roundabout. But, and here's the thing - it did indicate to show which way it was going. I was stunned.

Yeah that’s allowed... they only have to be one type of considerate at once.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mincey said:

I had a 6-cylinder 4-series and can confirm that indicators were fitted as standard.  I suspect it’s the 318d (which as we all know goes really fast) Which lacks such niceties....

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links