Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Noise from AirCon

My AirCon has started to make a strange noise. A sort of hiss inside the cabin and a louder buzzing from under the bonnet. It stops when I turn the AC off. Could the seal have gone or any other ideas?

IS300h, four and a half years old, 40,000 miles. I always have the AC on. I have 6 months left on the extended warranty.

Thanks

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 7:03 PM, matt8 said:

Has the being "always on" caused premature failure here do you think?

No, as otherwise you’d hear of a lot more failures than this one as I expect the majority of owners leave it on all the time.

• Thanks 1

Car AC systems are prone to leaks because of the requirement to be able to assemble the system in a car with many pipe joints that are just "O" ring seal push fit, and a simple clip to hold the joint together.
If these joints were made with screwed fittings or better still brazed as in refrigerators or freezers the fault rate would drop significantly. I realise this would cost more in production, but the cost would be less than the cost of one refill, and the amount of greenhouse gasses lost through leaks would also be significantly reduced.
Condenser radiators are also often fitted in vulnerable positions without any real protection from road debris. Have a look at your car to see just how simple it could be to provide good protection.
There is no reason in a well designed system why it should be kept on just to help the seals from deteriorating, but wearing out the mechanical s of the expensive compressor, and increasing fuel consumption.

John.

• Like 1