Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windscreen wiper failure

Driving along my wipers just stopped, in the up position.

Managed to push then down almost to the down position, but I can see them kinda try to move a little now and again.

It's not the fuses, I checked (Incidentally, that's the worst placement of fuses of any car I've ever had).

Is this a relay issue?

I'd guess that if it's a relay they'll either work or they won't. If it's the motor or linkage you may still see a little movement. Unfortunately forcing them down to the rest position may not have been a good thing.

I was away from home so needed to get them down.

If I push them all the way down, they return to the upright position. So I pushed them *almost* all the way down.

The only thing which makes me think relay is that a few days ago, for a few seconds they seemed to go faster. I thought I'd maybe imagined it, but now I'm not so sure 

Not sure how you get to the motor and linkage on an RX but I'd take the wiper arms off so they're not hitting you in the face or catching on the open bonnet and have a little poke round armed with some WD40.

I had a wiper failure on an RX450h and feared lots of hassle. Turned out to be the nut which secures the arm assembly to the drive motor, it had worked loose. Readily accessible with the bonnet up on a 450, can't comment on a 400 but worth a check.

• Like 2

Just a quick update to everyone here as a thanks to those who replied.

Yesterday, between the rain, I found a nearby scrap yard that was breaking a 400h and went there. I tried a relay, and it wasn't the relay.

So when I took off the panel to try a new motor instead, it turns out that a cable (I think the one that goes to the rain sensor) had broken off and got completely tangled in the mechanism. 

As soon as I untangled the wires the motor started working properly again.

I'm not sure what damage being jammed all of that time did so I replaced it anyway (£30). 

Now I need to look at how to fix the rain sensor. I sense a new post coming up...

• Like 2