Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wiper and Indicator stalks swapped over

Probably not the most useful of posts but I thought I'd share my mod anyway  🙂

Despite being a right-hand drive market, virtually all Japanese cars sold in the UK since the 2000s have had the indicator stalk to the left of the steering wheel and the wiper stalk to the right. This is in contrast to Japanese cars sold in other RHD markets. And having been driving for years in other RHD countries, I struggled to adapt to the UK wiper/indicator layout. Hence, I sourced the wiper and indicator stalk assembly from an Australian-spec Lexus GS and fitted it to my UK-spec car. For those interested, the part number is as follows:

Wiper stalk: 84652-30531
Indicator stalk: 84140-30290

I used the following videos for guidance on how to remove the steering wheel and subsequently the wiper/indicator switch assembly:
2011MY ISF Sport Steering Wheel Swap
Yaris Foglight/Steering Wheel removal/Indicator Stalk installation

Lol not a problem here,to be honest driven cars with some on  the left and others the right and prefer the indicator stalk to the left(same as in the Vauxhall corsa)😊

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 11:42 PM, LexIS200Sport said:

Probably not the most useful of posts but I thought I'd share my mod anyway  🙂

Despite being a right-hand drive market, virtually all Japanese cars sold in the UK since the 2000s have had the indicator stalk to the left of the steering wheel and the wiper stalk to the right. This is in contrast to Japanese cars sold in other RHD markets. And having been driving for years in other RHD countries, I struggled to adapt to the UK wiper/indicator layout. Hence, I sourced the wiper and indicator stalk assembly from an Australian-spec Lexus GS and fitted it to my UK-spec car. For those interested, the part number is as follows:

Wiper stalk: 84652-30531
Indicator stalk: 84140-30290

I used the following videos for guidance on how to remove the steering wheel and subsequently the wiper/indicator switch assembly:
2011MY ISF Sport Steering Wheel Swap
Yaris Foglight/Steering Wheel removal/Indicator Stalk installation

Interesting modification, can't really see on the youtube video does the light/indicator stalk come with a rear fog light switch too ? As I know some Lexus in Asia (the countries that has RHD cars & drive on left like UK) has light switches on the right side (just like yours) and still have rear fog lights even though there not required by law there.

Interestingly enough I know of a Jap guy in Japan, gone for a USDM theme on his Honda Accord tourer and got pretty much lot of USDM parts down to the LHD wipers, electric mirror control and a LHD drivers electric window control switches of a USDM car that bit where you can open/close all the windows is now on the pasenger side of the car !!! (No really he did ! lol) and down to the speedometer dials that shows both KMH and MPH wipers/light switches from a US spec car (which effectively also same as the UK spec Accords) it seems like the only thing he didn't change is where the steering wheel is - that is still on the right hand side of the car ! How is he going to adjust the mirrors from the driver side now ? And I hope one of his passengers don't leave any other windows opened !!

Yeah, the indicator stalk does include the switch for the rear fog lights. Pretty much a like-for-like replacement for the one that was originally on the car.

You are correct that many of the Asian-spec GS's, particularly those in south-east Asia, do not have rear fog lights. I sourced mine from an Aussie car, which did. The part number that I listed above is essentially plug-and-play for UK GS's. 

That Honda Accord guy is a little OTT though 😄

My neighbour had a USDM Accord. That car had a mechanism that fastened the seatbelt for you!

Mine being an early JDM model has the indicator stalk on the right, my Vauxhall Vivaro has it on the left.

I only occasionally drive the Celsior and generally end up using the windscreen wipers to notify a change of direction! 

6 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Mine being an early JDM model has the indicator stalk on the right, my Vauxhall Vivaro has it on the left.

I only occasionally drive the Celsior and generally end up using the windscreen wipers to notify a change of direction! 

Me too!  My Celsior is different to the other two cars I drive.

8 hours ago, steve2006 said:

It was the opposite for me - my IS200 was my first UK car and the controls were the opposite to my Datsun abroad, and so many a times I ended up flashing oncoming traffic when really I wanted to clear my windscreen!

I subsequently swapped the controls over with those from an Altezza, sourced from a member on here several years ago. I suppose with the GS being an automatic, it is less awkward for me, but back when I lived in Milton Keynes with the IS200, having to shift gears and indicate in quick succession with the same hand over a series of roundabouts did get to me...