Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just had my RX400h in for major service at my local Toyota dealer and they have notified me that the rear height sensor linkage is seized. They said that it's a Lexus dealer only repair as it needs setting up and they don't have the equipment so I just got a price from my local Lexus dealer of £650 - £850 over the phone without seeing it depending on the time taken to do the repair - does this sound about right ?

What a load of rubbish!

A height sensor linkage can be had from eBay for about £40 - £50 if I remember right, or if it's the electrical part of the sensor then they can also be had from eBay for about a tenner.

At worst, any garage can do it but at best it's even DIY-able.

Search the forum as there are quite a few threads about this very thing - here's just one of them:

And here's the physical linkage on eBay so just click here

• Like 2

Cheers for that - to be honest I hadn't really researched it, I just saw it as an item on the checklist on my service report.

I guess it's one or both of the little ball joints on the ends of the linkage that's seized - if I take the back wheel off is it just two nuts to remove the linkage then I can get it on my workbench to free it off and maybe pack some grease in there to keep it moving ?.....

..... and what is the setting up that requires special tools that my Toyota dealer mentioned when replacing said linkage ?

4 hours ago, vrodman said:

..... and what is the setting up that requires special tools that my Toyota dealer mentioned when replacing said linkage ?

I've never had to do the job myself so I don't know but like I said earlier, some people have done this as a DIY job so I don't thing anything special is needed.

Techstream software maybe, otherwise no idea?

• Like 1

If you check the length of the linkage before you remove it you will not need to any setup adjustments when you refit it as long as it's the same length.  If it is too badly seized you can buy the linkage alone for about £10 ( there were several old posts about this) and if the sensor is damaged - common as they let in water- you can get a replacement from USA for about £80 including delivery.  The replacements are better than the original as the water seals are better.  It is a very easy job to do.  Easier if you take off the NS rear wheel but remember to prop the car and don't rely on the jack.

good luck

• Like 2

Thanks for that

I did it today, pretty easy with the back wheel off. I didnt have to dismantle the linkage - it was just the ball joints on either end that were seized so the length didn't change.

I took the linkage off the car and soon had the joints moving again with WD40, the rubber seals were a bit worn but I squirted the WD in with a fine straw to wash out the joints then got my gease gun with a pointed nozzle and filled the joints with waterproof grease. The whole job only took about 45 mins - I know Lexus were going to replace the linkage and sensor with new rather than refurb the existing but even so, I think they were pulling my pants down with that quote ! 

• Like 4

Well done.  It is worth keeping an eye on the sensor itself and if you find that the light don't move when you load the back of the car it will probably need replacing.  It's not expensive to do it and shouldn't take as long as doing the linkage did.  Worth filling the plug and socket with silicone grease or Vaseline to keep the contacts dry as a lot or water gets sprayed onto this assembly due to its position under the wheel arch.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links