Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How to ruin the good looks of your IS

Simple - just fit the wheels from your old LS400 - at least there will be no problems if or when the cold and wintry conditions arrive. I was hoping to source some better ones but it seemed a shame to waste my old spare set of alloys which fit and have a set of almost brand new winters on them.

829B263D-4A25-444A-9BF0-F572269E2638.jpeg

295FE3BE-2C86-49A9-B185-3F971E6B73CA.jpeg

• Like 1

I feel your pain but needs must. I've got the old 16" winters from my first gen IS on my GS. Makes me grind my teeth every time I look at it. (Sorry @gdh300) But like you I thought it would be silly to buy an alternative when they were just sat there. I also know that if I weakened and took them off that would be the cue for some slippy stuff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rich1068 said:

I feel your pain but needs must. I've got the old 16" winters from my first gen IS on my GS. Makes me grind my teeth every time I look at it. (Sorry @gdh300) But like you I thought it would be silly to buy an alternative when they were just sat there. I also know that if I weakened and took them off that would be the cue for some slippy stuff.

Agree seemed daft to splash out - I found need to find and put on the centre covers on the wheels but I am not kidding myself that it will improve the looks much - putting lipstick on a pig springs to mind. Never have I hoped for snow so much!

2 hours ago, BigChange said:

Who would have thought that wheels (alloys) would make such a difference to the car's look ! 

Yes every time I look at it all I can see is an LS400 now - I did love that car but looks wise (and I appreciate looks are subjective) the IS looks much prettier. Roll on April when I can put the original alloys back on.

3 hours ago, Macscrooge said:

Even the dog looks anguished!  But better grip on dodgy wheels than no grip at all. 

Ha that made me laugh - think it was more to do with seeing me outside the car though rather than her displeasure at the aesthetics fof the alloys!

1 hour ago, Nick W858 said:

Ha that made me laugh - think it was more to do with seeing me outside the car though rather than her displeasure at the aesthetics fof the alloys!

I didn't see the dog at first.  Hiding a bit I notice, I didn't know a dog could experience embarrassment!  Actually, it's quite interesting the wheels fit, it also makes me realise the huge difference it would make to the look of mine if I bought a set of new wheels. See, you've cost me money now, that'll probably be my next project.

• Haha 1

I didn't immediately see the dog either lol

But the pictures did remind me of those before and after weight loss/muscle gain/whatever photos you see on the back of a bus. First photo is always in poor light, bad hair, **** clothes and no make up. Second photo is glammed up to the nines like a Love Island contestant :tongue:

On 19 January 2020 at 5:07 PM, rich1068 said:

I didn't immediately see the dog either lol

But the pictures did remind me of those before and after weight loss/muscle gain/whatever photos you see on the back of a bus. First photo is always in poor light, bad hair, **** clothes and no make up. Second photo is glammed up to the nines like a Love Island contestant :tongue:

😀 none of the light etc planned - the before picture was taken back in summer - I don't even think the best make over expert in the world could make it look any good on the LS alloys! Anyway a few days in and I'm getting used to them plus it has been a bit icy in the mornings which has helped me justify the decision. It rode fine on the OE 17 inch wheels but it's even more refined on the 16s plus I don't have any kerbing issues to worry about!

1 hour ago, Nick W858 said:

😀 none of the light etc planned - the before picture was taken back in summer - I don't even think the best make over expert in the world could make it look any good on the LS alloys! Anyway a few days in and I'm getting used to them plus it has been a bit icy in the mornings which has helped me justify the decision. It rode fine on the OE 17 inch wheels but it's even more refined on the 16s plus I don't have any kerbing issues to worry about!

I'd rather be safe than be concerned about how my wheels looked.

• 3 weeks later...

Haha, you're not the only one. Last winter I put is200 stockies just because new winters on them. And to be honest didn't look all that bad, could do with some spacers but were alright and handled pretty well too haha and now running 2nd gen is250 wheels as I like them better than 300h premiers I had when I bought the car

20180307_162648.jpg

20190915_192256.jpg

IMG_20190809_155837~2.jpg

I think those IS200 wheels look OK. Better than the 16s on my GS by quite a margin. 

And apologies for the snow this week guys. It's because I told everyone who'd listen that the winters were coming off and the OZ were going on. In the end they weren't ready so expect more of the white stuff this week.

I'll keep my winters till march or later this weather here can surprise when you least expect it. Just like snow storm @ Scottish borders on Tuesday. was a lot of it up there, but not enough for my 300h to struggle lol went to hunt the snow down and see what the car is capable of. Anybody saying Lexus is crap in snow is a tool, tires and know how to drive is enough to ram snow and even pull is200 on a strap up a hill lol

Screenshot_20200215-173410.jpg

FB_IMG_1581788516752.jpg

• Like 1