Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Flat Toyota iQ - cannot get in, even with key blade

Mincey

It's a long shot I know, but it saves me registering with the iQ Club!

I'm trying to get into a 60 plate iQ auto which has been sitting idle for a year. I've tried unlocking it with the key blade, which has worked on many occasions before, but there is nothing from the lock. The key turns but there's no mechanical action indicating that the lock is working. There's only one lock - on the driver's door. There's no lock on the boot or passenger door. Any ideas anyone please? I need to get the Battery charged and the car mobile for an MOT and service on Tuesday!

Fight a long shot with a long shot  😁

If you can see the starter solenoid from underneath, there'll be a big chunky cable running from it directly to the positive Battery terminal. Disconnect this from the solenoid and connect either Battery charger or jump leads, red or positive to that Battery cable, black or negative to any suitable bolt or lump of metal.

Once you've got power on you should be able to unlock the doors and then progress as normal from there - you don't need to try to start the car this way.

1 minute ago, Herbie said:

Fight a long shot with a long shot  😁

If you can see the starter solenoid from underneath, there'll be a big chunky cable running from it directly to the positive battery terminal. Disconnect this from the solenoid and connect either battery charger or jump leads, red or positive to that battery cable, black or negative to any suitable bolt or lump of metal.

Once you've got power on you should be able to unlock the doors and then progress as normal from there - you don't need to try to start the car this way.

Thanks Herbie - I'll take a look. It's parked right up against a wall which could make things interesting....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Update time: "Satan the iQ" is still resisting all my efforts to get in. I thought Herbie's tip was going to save the day but I can't get to the starter or alternator. I know where they are, but my poor mechanical skills and limited access to the front and underside mean it's not possible (for me anyway). Following a tip about another make with a similar problem, I sprayed some Silicone spray into the lock. After leaving it for half an hour, I went back to it praying that this had freed up all the tumblers and the door would open. I was disappointed. So, my next plan is to buy one of those kits from amazon where you carefully drive a wedge into the top of the door frame, then use an air bag to create a gap to get a metal rod in to operate the door lock. Before I do this though, i'm going to sign up on the iQ forum and ask if anyone there has any ideas.  

Oh well, it was worth a try.

Depending on time vs money, you could always get a local locksmith to come and do the job.

A neighbour of ours has a Mini and she somehow managed to lock the keys in the car with the engine running so we tried to get in but no joy, so she got a locksmith out. I kid you not, it took no more than a minute or two for him to get in using the air bag method. It wasn't cheap given the callout fee and everything, but it was very efficient and no damage done.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Thanks Herbie - I'm sure a more skilled person than myself would have been able to get your suggestion working. A car stealing kit from amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/YOUNG4-Universal-Window-Airbag-Emergency/dp/B07X94LPYB/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=airbag+key+kit+car+door&qid=1579439427&sr=8-8) is only around £20-25 which I'm sure is way less than calling a locksmith out, so I'll try this first. One of my step sons lost the key to the postbox in a flat he once lived in, and to avoid a charge of £90 to have the lock replaced, I picked it with a set of lock picks from amazon (£8) and replaced it with a new lock from Screwfix (£12) so I do like the challenge of learning new and nefarious skills! I will report back on progress. The MOT and service on Tuesday is looking very unlikely now.

• Like 1

Just now, olliesgrandad said:

In the olden days when I was in the police we used packing tape to go through the door seals and then put pressure on to lift the button or hook over the handle and pull. I suspect that these days it will not be so easy. 

Sadly I think you're right. The chap on YouTube made it look "fairly" easy though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxjvRcpUi28

11 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Why not just call the AA OR OTHER SUITABLE BREAKDOWN SERVICE?

It's a bit of a tricky one. I think the step son who is going to have the car is in the AA, so theoretically they'd come out for him. He doesn't want to pay for a call out though. If I can get into it myself for 20 to 25 quid, then great. The chances resorting to the AA etc is very high though. My Lexus AA doesn't appear to cover other cars and my soon to be cancelled Green Flag doesn't either.

4 minutes ago, Mincey said:

It's a bit of a tricky one. I think the step son who is going to have the car is in the AA, so theoretically they'd come out for him. He doesn't want to pay for a call out though. If I can get into it myself for 20 to 25 quid, then great. The chances resorting to the AA etc is very high though. My Lexus AA doesn't appear to cover other cars and my soon to be cancelled Green Flag doesn't either.

James, my Lexus Extended Warranty has breakdown cover FOR ME AND ANY VEHICLE IN WHICH I AM TRAVELLING.Yours  will too.

I called them yesterday to attend to my son`s car which was on my drive and the bonnet release mechanism had failed. The AA came promptly and gained entry in no time.Read your policy Document....................Good luck.

• Like 2

Just now, royoftherovers said:

James, my Lexus Extended Warranty has breakdown cover FOR ME AND ANY VEHICLE IN WHICH I AM TRAVELLING.Yours  will too.

I called them yesterday to attend to my son`s car which was on my drive and the bonnet release mechanism had failed. The AA came promptly and gained entry in no time.Read your Policy Document....................Good luck.

Oooh!

Yes @royoftherovers - you are correct (I just ran down to the car and back) - thank you. I had convinced myself that it just covered my car. I shall give them a ring in the morning. Virtual pints all round! I shall put my car breaking and entering training on hold for the moment.

41 minutes ago, Mincey said:

Yes @royoftherovers - you are correct (I just ran down to the car and back) - thank you. I had convinced myself that it just covered my car. I shall give them a ring in the morning. Virtual pints all round! I shall put my car breaking and entering training on hold for the moment.

Very pleased for you James.

Miracles may take me a little longer to perform !

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a post script to the story, as I'm sure you're all dying to know the outcome.

A very, very nice man from the AA has just been. Having more experience of these things than I do, he held the keyblade in a pair of pliers, and put it into the lock. After applying some careful brute force, boom - the door unlocked. The car runs perfectly, but the Battery needs replacing. I'm just off to Halfords to use my LOC discount card to get a replacement. I will then be stopping at Sainsbury's for some soap and a towel, because once the Battery is fitted, I shall be washing my hands of the car. Thanks everyone for your advice here - the AA chap did mention putting power to the starter motor/alternator but then said given the proximity of the car to the wall, it would have been hard work!

• Like 2