Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've removed the rear bumper to get access to my rattly heat shield. Whilst it's off, is there any other recommended checks / servicing worth doing? Other half is only willing to gave the bumper on the kitchen floor for one night only 😀IMG_5975.thumb.jpeg.bef71df7c383fed38725cd1461fbd0b5.jpeg

IMG_5981.jpeg

This reminds me of the story my parents told me. They shared a house with another couple around 1955 and my Dad and the other chap rebuilt an Austin A40 Somerset engine on the kitchen table much to the annoyance of the ladies. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The-Acre said:

I don't think there's anything else you need to do with the bumper off, apart from maybe a good clean. Did you find it easy enough to remove?

Very straight forward, apart from the usual round of broken bolts and plastic clips. Trip to local car parts shop first thing tomorrow 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All sorted - couldn't do anything with the corroded bolt, so used one half of an ikea hinge, riveted onto the body and fixing with washer &  bolt. Sorted 🙂 (p.s. it looks better than pics suggest 😄 )
IMG_6004.thumb.jpeg.a542c826aa9f3e30c2e4907a0fd2959c.jpegIMG_5991.thumb.jpeg.dce44948578709b0391321bc0f7389e8.jpegIMG_5996.thumb.jpeg.9e248056fc651b87b82861b1a0d4b59b.jpegIMG_5994.thumb.jpeg.6b55fe52f7f024449bef308dfc5a8d4d.jpegand

• Like 1

Just now, Malc said:

turned you into as chainsmoker with all the stress  :kicking:

( dead matches close by )

Malc

Lol, I got a pencil butane torch to try and help with rusted bolts, but couldn’t get the bloody thing to stay lit 🙈

46 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Ikea and Lexus in the same sentence, who would have thought.  Still, it's good to know their products are good for something!

wasn't planned. needed a bit of metal to get closer to the original position of the heat shield. Rooted around the garage and ta'da! they'll do 😄

• Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 12:23 AM, PeterTorbet said:

Very straight forward, apart from the usual round of broken bolts and plastic clips. Trip to local car parts shop first thing tomorrow 😊

I think you'll find that the clips at either end of the bumper are adjustable. There is a little screw thread which allows you to pull the bumper into a really flush fit. You may have to go to Toyota/Lexus to get those. I had to get my front bumper re-sprayed after hitting a deer and the shop that did it told me they had to get new clips from Toyota because they were the adjustable kind.

• Like 1