Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS430 cd changer problem

I have a 2002 LS430 with a Mark Levinson audio system. Since I bought the car a few weeks ago the cd changer has not worked. When I press the "load" button there is a whirring noise inside but the flap will not open to allow me to insert a cd. The screen displays "cd error". The radio and tape deck work normally.

I have searched these forums but there is nothing covering my situation. I have disconnected the car Battery but that had no effect.

I have taken the cd changer out and looked inside it but I can't see anything amiss (not that I am an expert). The cd drawers move up and down when a power source is connected.

1. Can anyone suggest anything else I could check?

2. If it has to be replaced I don't need a top quality cd changer. Is it possible to get one that I can just plug in and play, or is the setup more complicated than that?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

There is a YouTube video out there somewhere explaining the problem, if you can't find it I'll look later.  A few weeks ago I had a similar sound and warning on mine due to a cd being stuck and the flap wouldn't open.  I found some info on a US site where you hold the eject button while you bang sharply on the right hand side, worked a treat, just the way we used to "fix" old TV's!

The-Acre.

Thank you for that. I have just banged it whilst holding the eject button. No joy. I have no cd's stuck inside; I have previously opened it up to check the mechanism inside.

I have already looked on youtube but I couldn't find anything to fit my circumstances. If you have found something that I missed i would be grateful if you would tell me which article it is.

6 hours ago, Tomtit said:

The-Acre.

Thank you for that. I have just banged it whilst holding the eject button. No joy. I have no cd's stuck inside; I have previously opened it up to check the mechanism inside.

I have already looked on youtube but I couldn't find anything to fit my circumstances. If you have found something that I missed i would be grateful if you would tell me which article it is.

I've looked but sadly what I thought may help you is a different issue.  I think replacing with a different unit may be difficult, so unless you think it's worth getting your existing one repaired then maybe a used Lexus one is the way to go.

I had the same issue a couple of years back - I think it was caused by a stuck CD incident (I blamed my wife for pushing the CD into the slot rather than letting it be pulled).

There are some youtubes on removing the unit, from memory, start by popping out the smallest section at the bottom with the seat heat controls - I've got a vague memory of removing the ashtray but could have been from another job? It's very easy just be careful not to drop any screws into the centre consul when removing so keep a magnet handy.

If you're good with things like this, you may find that you can fix the problem better when the unit/cover is removed and on a table. Unfortunately I couldn't fix mine so sourced a replacement unit second hand from eBay that was circa £120. I presume that it wasn't working when you purchased?

There could well be something aftermarket out there that would fit with more modern phone/wifi/etc. connectivity, I'm sure there are members better informed than myself for this info.

DaKa.

It was not working when I bought the car, and I did not expect a warranty with a 17 year old car. I have previously removed the unit and taken the covers off the cd changer. I could not see anything broken but then again I don't know what to look for.

There is an identical unit on eBay but I have now found that the fuel tank is leaking so spending on a cd changer will have to wait. I think a leak-free fuel tank is more important !