Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New member and CT200h questions

OhReally

Hi all, this is my first post and i thought it would make sense to consolidate my intro and question in to one (as I don't know whether I will be purchasing a Lexus yet).

First off I would just like to say hi and thanks to the mods/community for taking the time to keep these forums open for people like me that need advice 🙂

I am interested in purchasing a CT200h, however I do have some questions (I have read parts of the forum and searched google but the information seems inconsistent or hard to find), hopefully I can find some advice here.

My questions are as follows:

• I have read about EGR issues and Headgasket failures on US forums, is this an issue in the UK? Any years/warnings to look out for?
  • There seems to be a small discussion regarding excessive oil usage, again, is this common on certain models or just something to accept?
  • It seems rare that the hybrid Battery will fail as a general rule of thumb, haw common is this and does anybody know the cost of a new one if needed?
  • How is the audio? I currently own a BMW with the professional audio (no sub) and it is very good to be honest.
  • I am 6ft4, is the cabin/leg room space adequate?
  • The price seems rather high for the age of the cars and mileage, are there any issues with higher mile examples? (I am not scared of cars with over 100k miles, as long as they are well maintained and not thrashed from cold).
  • Is it easy to scan for error codes stored if I do find one to view? (I assume there is an app and ODB2 dongle setup like other cars)

I know it would be easier to just view one and sit in it but there are currently none locally unfortunately.

Just to add some background, I've come to realise that the roads in my area are not suited to my current car, the joy of driving is not there due to the constant traffic.

I never thought I would consider an automatic but after experiencing years of stop/start crawling traffic and having a manual, it's getting tedious, also the fuel costs are high.

Appreciate your advice, thanks!

• Like 1

I can only help on a couple of points but....

I'm about 5ft 10in or 11in and the CT is horribly small for me.

Admittedly, I do have a back problem that makes getting in and out of normal saloon cars difficult, so I have an RX but was recently given a CT as a courtesy car for the afternoon while my RX was in for its 60k service. I would imagine that the problems were somewhat exaggerated by going immediately from the largest car they make to the smallest, but I found it so small and cramped that I went back to the dealer within half an hour, preferring to sit and wait until my car was ready rather than stay in the CT any longer than necessary.

Hybrid batteries rarely fail in their entirety. They're made up of blocks of cells and usually individual cells or blocks can be changed rather than having to replace the whole thing. However, they tend to be very reliable, so much so that as long as you have the hybrid health check done annually, Lexus will renew the warranty on the Battery each year up to 15 years.

Prices are fairly high because hybrids are becoming more popular and are in greater demand.

Any OBD2 code reader will show generic codes (if there are any present) but won't show up anything Lexus-specific, such as hybrid codes.

• Like 1

At 6'4 I would be considering perhaps an IS300h or a GS300h. Both have more interior room and are fuel efficient. My 2015 GS300h if anything was better on petrol than the IS300h. 

Both will exceed 40mpg easily. 

The GS on a round trip from Gloucester toy London including driving in heavy traffic did 54mpg checked tankful to tankful. 

I’m 6’3 and have no problem at all. My drivers seat is not set all the way back and I’m fairly stretched from the steering wheel.
They don’t suffer from head gasket issues or egr problems in the UK at least. Hybrid batteries here don’t fail either. I’ve never heard of any of these here.
Mines a 2011 with 102K and I’ve had zero problems since new. It reacts now just like when I got it from new.
The US have got bad fuel and heat problems there. The Prius gen 3 suffers the same in the US too.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Thanks all for responding to my post, I appreciate it.

It sounds like I need to drive one to be sure of the ergonomics, but there may be hope!

I'm going to browse around and check out the other options mentioned too, also thanks for the reassurance on Battery life/engine issues.

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2020 at 6:06 PM, olliesgrandad said:

At 6'4 I would be considering perhaps an IS300h or a GS300h. Both have more interior room and are fuel efficient. My 2015 GS300h if anything was better on petrol than the IS300h. 

Both will exceed 40mpg easily. 

The GS on a round trip from Gloucester toy London including driving in heavy traffic did 54mpg checked tankful to tankful. 

I agree, I am 5 ft 11 and find the CT a little small. IS 300h is perfect

On 1/18/2020 at 9:12 PM, OhReally said:

Hi all, this is my first post and i thought it would make sense to consolidate my intro and question in to one (as I don't know whether I will be purchasing a Lexus yet).

First off I would just like to say hi and thanks to the mods/community for taking the time to keep these forums open for people like me that need advice 🙂

I am interested in purchasing a CT200h, however I do have some questions (I have read parts of the forum and searched google but the information seems inconsistent or hard to find), hopefully I can find some advice here.

My questions are as follows:

• I have read about EGR issues and Headgasket failures on US forums, is this an issue in the UK? Any years/warnings to look out for?
  • There seems to be a small discussion regarding excessive oil usage, again, is this common on certain models or just something to accept?
  • It seems rare that the hybrid battery will fail as a general rule of thumb, haw common is this and does anybody know the cost of a new one if needed?
  • How is the audio? I currently own a BMW with the professional audio (no sub) and it is very good to be honest.
  • I am 6ft4, is the cabin/leg room space adequate?
  • The price seems rather high for the age of the cars and mileage, are there any issues with higher mile examples? (I am not scared of cars with over 100k miles, as long as they are well maintained and not thrashed from cold).
  • Is it easy to scan for error codes stored if I do find one to view? (I assume there is an app and ODB2 dongle setup like other cars)

I know it would be easier to just view one and sit in it but there are currently none locally unfortunately.

Just to add some background, I've come to realise that the roads in my area are not suited to my current car, the joy of driving is not there due to the constant traffic.

I never thought I would consider an automatic but after experiencing years of stop/start crawling traffic and having a manual, it's getting tedious, also the fuel costs are high.

Appreciate your advice, thanks!

Hey there & welcome to the forum.

My dad has a 2019 CT 200h and loves it (when its just him in the car). It is quite slow (even more so with 4 passengers) the ride is quite choppy too!!

I actually just made a video comparing my dad's CT to my mother's IS if you want to watch? I cover some of the basics and you can hear/see the difference in ride quality and comfort etc 🙂