Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

our beloved aged Lss' and carbon footprint

1 hour ago, rich1068 said:

You're thinking of vegans.

I assume vegans cannot own a LS, as the leather being an animal by product where as us heretical vegetarians will have less of a problem wearing the leather shoes made from the hide of the beef-cow that once wrapped itself around the steak that Phil enjoyed yesterday.

I do also kill animals as I have not worked out how to avoid insects (unseen) crossing the road, and the occasional pheasant (about once every 2 years) on my way to work.

35 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

I assume vegans cannot own a LS, as the leather being an animal by product where as us heretical vegetarians will have less of a problem wearing the leather shoes made from the hide of the beef-cow that once wrapped itself around the steak that Phil enjoyed yesterday.

I do also kill animals as I have not worked out how to avoid insects (unseen) crossing the road, and the occasional pheasant (about once every 2 years) on my way to work.

You would also assume vegans would object to traveling in a car on a cold day if it had leather seats rather than getting the bus but you'd be wrong. You would also think my granddaughter who is vegan wouldn't want the very expensive leather boots that she asked for at Christmas but you'd be wrong.  And if Greenpeace are anywhere near correct in suggesting the production of mobile devices is responsible for 30% of global warming that people wouldn't want a new model every year but you'd be wrong. PS, the pie was a treat, mostly we are veggie....mostly.

so cattle and mobiles creating some 70% of this CO2 crap .... and plastics being used in car production anyway, then with bicycle tyres leaving lots of rubber on the roads too and not wearing leather soles are we to just walk barefoot along a sandy beach on a sunny day drinking  coconut water ? actually talking to each other  :wallbash:

for heaven's sake Malc , get a grip, ..............  who'd want that sort of life when one can chase around in a 4ltr V8 and drink coffee ground from the grindings of some poor Columbian drug lord banged-up in an eco friendly prison ( one without bars no doubt, or maybe with paper walls )

let's ask Trump for his views then or Greta, assuming we can contact her  on her mobile device before she jumps on the next plane outta Davos

Malc

Hey everyone

Just picked this tome up from a Classics car email I get from time to time  ....................       I've highlighted it in green for obvious reasons

there's lots of hope for us V8 aficionados then :wink:

Malc

Synthetic fuels, or synfuels, have been discussed for many years. On paper, they sound fantastic, with the potential to replace fossil fuels and make existing petrol and diesel cars CO2 neutral. But while the technology exists to make such fuels, it’s far or from easy or cheap.

Synfuels are produced by combining hydrogen and CO2. Hydrogen can be extracted from water using renewable energy, but for a liquid fuel, carbon is required. This carbon can be recycled from industrial processes or even captured from the air in the form of CO2 using filters, thus turning a greenhouse gas into a resource. Burning synfuel does release CO2 back into the air, but because it can be recaptured, the process is nearly a closed loop.

That all makes it sound simple, but it isn’t. Unlike conventional biofuels, they can be produced without the volume limitations, such as the amount of farming land available, and aren’t affected by a limited supply of food stock or waste materials. However, you need still need a mechanism for carbon capture, and getting the hydrogen requires electrolysis to extract it from water – a process that takes plenty of electricity to achieve. These issues mean incredibly expensive production costs.

Nevertheless, there’s hope. At the recent Association for Petroleum & Explosives Administration (APEA) conference, attendees were also told that synthetic fuel could arrive on the market by as soon as 2025. Stefan Kunter, managing director and CEO of the Elaflex group of companies, also iterated that they could make a major contribution to reducing carbon emissions from transport without making changes to vehicles or infrastructure

• Like 1

Regarding co2 and polution from the last remaining petrol cars,a previous

writer is correct, that the green lobby will do their best to campaign against them.

They are being paid to do so.

Nobody seems to have seen a map of the UK, we are expected to lead the world

to remove polution at more expense to UK residents, when huge countries just do

what they like to suit themselves.

The climate changes, it always has, let China.India,the US etc fix it if they think they can

and give us a break.

Have the antipolution brigade measured the polution from the

numerous volcano eruptions? How many cars would it take match that?

If you want less carbon, stop deforestation globally. [good luck with that]

• Like 1

Sooo, according to Malcs article I may, just may, be able to use my car's filthy emissions like solar panels on a house, someone can "catch" my pollution and I can charge them for it.  I knew there was an answer to the problem that gives me endless sleepless nights!  In all seriousness, the thing I really hate is sitting behind (usually older vans) and having my cabin area filled with diesel fumes, I won't be sorry to see a decline in them.

4 hours ago, The-Acre said:

production of mobile devices is responsible for 30% of global warming

I heard somewhere else that concrete production was responsible for a heck of a lot of the % of global warming, but then I also heard that we are running out of suitable sand to make concrete.

It seems like somewhere in all the noise is the truth, but sure is darned hard to work it out.

25 minutes ago, ROYT said:

stop deforestation globally.

That would help, but if you have less land to grow stuff then you either blitz it with pesticides and fertilizer, or we all learn to live jut eating one cornflake for breakfast and a slice of bread for tea.  I have planted four fruit trees in my garden so doing a little bit to help.

I read that every 1 degree warming of the oceans pumps 30% more energy into the water cycle, and that is going to mean a lot more rain (even in Norfolk), which means the real worry is will my LS remain water proof and will my hybird or EV survive more flooding.

One other thing I heard (coz I listen to really odd stuff on the BBC World Service when I cannot sleep) is that a log burner emits as much cr*p as a truck engine idling outside your house, so I suspect many a yoghurt-knitting hippy is unaware of why owning an LS is possibly no different to keeping the yurt warm. 

The answer is that Trump will pick a fight with Greta, the Nordics will be nuked, and then the Nuclear winter will begin.❄️

49 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

I heard somewhere else that concrete production was responsible for a heck of a lot of the % of global warming, but then I also heard that we are running out of suitable sand to make concrete.

It seems like somewhere in all the noise is the truth, but sure is darned hard to work it out.

That would help, but if you have less land to grow stuff then you either blitz it with pesticides and fertilizer, or we all learn to live jut eating one cornflake for breakfast and a slice of bread for tea.  I have planted four fruit trees in my garden so doing a little bit to help.

I read that every 1 degree warming of the oceans pumps 30% more energy into the water cycle, and that is going to mean a lot more rain (even in Norfolk), which means the real worry is will my LS remain water proof and will my hybird or EV survive more flooding.

One other thing I heard (coz I listen to really odd stuff on the BBC World Service when I cannot sleep) is that a log burner emits as much cr*p as a truck engine idling outside your house, so I suspect many a yoghurt-knitting hippy is unaware of why owning an LS is possibly no different to keeping the yurt warm. 

The answer is that Trump will pick a fight with Greta, the Nordics will be nuked, and then the Nuclear winter will begin.❄️

I read yesterday that only 5% of the earth's land is populated so at least if we get bored there's a huge amount of further damage we can do to pass the time!  And I do have a woodburner but obviously that's only for the dog's benefit, would you deny her?

IMG_20191029_085048685.jpg

• Like 1

she has a fur coat and a wrap too ...  she needs warmth from a woodburner ?  ..... or is it really just you needing that filthy polluting heat ?:yes:

anyone would think it's winter in the UK

Malc

On 1/23/2020 at 3:58 PM, Malc said:

At the recent Association for Petroleum & Explosives Administration (APEA) conference, attendees were also told that synthetic fuel could arrive on the market by as soon as 2025. Stefan Kunter, managing director and CEO of the Elaflex group of companies, also iterated that they could make a major contribution to reducing carbon emissions from transport without making changes to vehicles or infrastructure

Well well well

about my full quote above .. ( not just the extract )

so how's this all going to work out in 2035 now with Hybrid, Petrol and Diesel cars being forbidden to be sold new in the UK ?

All electric possibly BUT I ask, what's the infrastructure carbon footprint to install zillions ( well millions ) of electric charging points across the nation AND of course, what's the carbon footprint to create all that electricity and other infrastructure to feed those charging points ............  I'm assuming  :yahoo: that the CO2 cost analysis has of course already been done by some clever person somewhere in UK Govt that's brought about the latest wisdom from No.10

Any thoughts guys  ?

Malc

is anyone here that clever :unsure:

On 1/31/2020 at 2:16 PM, Malc said:

she has a fur coat and a wrap too ...  she needs warmth from a woodburner ?  ..... or is it really just you needing that filthy polluting heat ?:yes:

anyone would think it's winter in the UK

Malc

How can you mock the afflicted?  She's only bones, and now one tooth less and me £500 less!  Whatever happens with all this stuff in the future, I bet a looked after LS will still be running!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The-Acre said:

and now one tooth less and me £500 less!

blimey, is that the cost of the overnight  " tooth fairy "  these days ?

my grandchildren must be oh so wealthy by now .....  and the parents immeasurably poorer, they say it costs £250,000 a child to bring up, didn't realise £000s  was for teeth alone 

Malc

• Haha 1

On 1/24/2020 at 2:48 AM, The-Acre said:

Sooo, according to Malcs article I may, just may, be able to use my car's filthy emissions like solar panels on a house, someone can "catch" my pollution and I can charge them for it.  I knew there was an answer to the problem that gives me endless sleepless nights!  In all seriousness, the thing I really hate is sitting behind (usually older vans) and having my cabin area filled with diesel fumes, I won't be sorry to see a decline in them.

Well that is interesting because on my uk spec LS, there is a sensor that switches to recirc if there are fumes in the air so I sit there smiling 🤗🤗

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Malc said:

blimey, is that the cost of the overnight  " tooth fairy "  these days ?

my grandchildren must be oh so wealthy by now .....  and the parents immeasurably poorer, they say it costs £250,000 a child to bring up, didn't realise £000s  was for teeth alone 

Malc

Not only did it cost me £500 but she had to be humiliated with a pink bandage!

IMG_20200205_161021020.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Not only did it cost me £500 but she had to be humiliated with a pink bandage!

IMG_20200205_161021020.jpg

That is one fed up looking dog; for sure we will need our pets to comfort us when the world is falling apart because we cannot get any petrol for our beloved cars.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 3:58 PM, Malc said:

Synfuels are produced by combining hydrogen and CO2. Hydrogen can be extracted from water using renewable energy, but for a liquid fuel, carbon is required. This carbon can be recycled from industrial processes or even captured from the air in the form of CO2 using filters, thus turning a greenhouse gas into a resource. Burning synfuel does release CO2 back into the air, but because it can be recaptured, the process is nearly a closed loop.

hey everyone

The Toyota Mirai is the hydrogen fuelled vehicle now in operation ( so I read )  with the London police with refuelling at Hendon, Swindon and Heathrow

300 miles between refuelling and the technology is good and proper and works out per mile the same as ordinary fuel it seems

The Mirai is available at about £65k in the UK but Toyota would rather you rent it at £750 a month all-up incl tyres etc

The cars are in their infancy, this is akin to the Avensis

Japan is going over to this fuel it seems with the opportunity for ease of mass refuelling points

refuel with hydrogen fuel and the car running eats the air and the contaminants,  CO2 within in it and emits, well, water :yahoo:

This seems to me, and Toyota, and Japan the way to go

Just waiting for BP, Esso, Shell etc to roll out the refuelling points now i guess

Electric and Hybrid and Petrol and Diesel are dead, long live the new amazing contamination free Mirai ....  wonder when it's going to be Lexus branded eh !

Malc

Sounds wonderful Malc, if only it was as you described. Honda actually have the best trial car out at the moment. Whist there will inevitably be some hydrogen cars and probably buses and commercial vehicles , I’m afraid the future for the the majority is electric. There is much written about all of this and the reasons why.... have a read cheers, Roger

☹️

15 hours ago, Malc said:

hey everyone

The Toyota Mirai is the hydrogen fuelled vehicle now in operation ( so I read )  with the London police with refuelling at Hendon, Swindon and Heathrow

300 miles between refuelling and the technology is good and proper and works out per mile the same as ordinary fuel it seems

The Mirai is available at about £65k in the UK but Toyota would rather you rent it at £750 a month all-up incl tyres etc

The cars are in their infancy, this is akin to the Avensis

Japan is going over to this fuel it seems with the opportunity for ease of mass refuelling points

refuel with hydrogen fuel and the car running eats the air and the contaminants,  CO2 within in it and emits, well, water :yahoo:

This seems to me, and Toyota, and Japan the way to go

Just waiting for BP, Esso, Shell etc to roll out the refuelling points now i guess

Electric and Hybrid and Petrol and Diesel are dead, long live the new amazing contamination free Mirai ....  wonder when it's going to be Lexus branded eh !

Malc

Only downside is the water emissions with hundreds of thousands of the type on the roads the surface will be constantly wet if not flooded.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ambermarine said:

☹️

Only downside is the water emissions with hundreds of thousands of the type on the roads the surface will be constantly wet if not flooded.

So exhaust system manufacturers will be laughing all the way to the bank, and will  their be a rust-tax levied at some point

why think the car will have a conventional fuel exhaust system, surely a piece of plastic hose will do and the water emissions can be fed into the side of the road / gulleys to water the lush green verges and planted out displays  :unsure:

Malc

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ambermarine said:

☹️

Sorry, but they won't. Current petrol cars produce just as much (if not more) water than Hydrogen powered engines or fuel cells.
When you burn petrol or diesel you put out a lot of water vapour which quickly condenses onto the road.
What you see coming out of exhaust pipes in cold weather is water vapour.

When you burn Hydrogen (or better yet run it through a fuel cell) you get 2-3 times as much energy per Kg (or lb) of fuel burnt so you actually produce about the same amount of water for a given power level. Fuel cells are also more efficient as they don't waste as much energy as heat like you do in combustion engines.

Fuel cells put their waste out as liquid water but it will be a dribble coming out, or if that does become a problem on the roads, you just store it on-board until you refill the Hydrogen tank and empty the water tank. Better yet, you can use the water to clean the car or water your garden. 😀

• Like 2

Yes George

As you say water coming out not vapour as in a combustion engine just as the water comes from an exhaust at first start up as the heat of the exhaust system is not yet warm enough to turn the water to vapour.I agree that the water will need to be collected somehow because there will be volumes of dribbles as you quaintly put it.

• 2 weeks later...

EVs  ..  just reading the impending long term shortage of the stuff coming out of the ground for the necessary batteries ........  so what's next then !

No EVs by 2035,............... No new Hybrids nor Diesels nor Petrol cars being sold

Hey, maybe it is the new Hydrogen cell technology and the waste emissions water being used to wash the roads and water the green verges and flower borders ...............:yahoo:

Malc

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 11:49 PM, Malc said:

EVs  ..  just reading the impending long term shortage of the stuff coming out of the ground for the necessary batteries ........  so what's next then !

No EVs by 2035,............... No new Hybrids nor Diesels nor Petrol cars being sold

Hey, maybe it is the new Hydrogen cell technology and the waste emissions water being used to wash the roads and water the green verges and flower borders ...............:yahoo:

Malc

Honest John today 😜👍

What is better - a hydrogen powered car or an EV? 
Having bought a new petrol powered car, I was interested to hear the Government bring forward the date for banning the sale of petrol and diesel vehicles. As I live in a block of flats and park in the surrounding roads, I don't see charging an electric vehicle as being practical. Do you think hydrogen-powered cars will become more 'mainstream', as it only takes a couple of minutes to refuel these?

Asked on 19 February 2020 by J Gardner

andy-polaroid-copy.jpg Answered by Andrew Brady

In some ways, hydrogen cars make a lot of sense. It's a readily available fuel source and refuelling is much quicker than charging an EV. The hydrogen cars already on sale also have longer ranges than electric vehicles. That said, the industry seems to be going more down the electric route. There are lots more electric car chargers than hydrogen filling stations. The cost of hydrogen cars are also very expensive. There'd have to be a huge swing in the industry if hydrogen cars were to become more mainstream than electric vehicles

well, there will be the swing when the Battery making stuff just isn't available and people living in flats, housing terraces etc won't be able to charge their existing EVs

Canterbury City Council ...  162 ? new flats, some in the old Debenhams store, BUT with planned zero provision for parking and zero availability of Parking Permits for any residents in these flats ..  a simple condition of occupancy of this new £500,000 ?  per flat development, to discourage car ownership .....  there's plenty of buses and taxis eh !

I mentioned Japan before

1.5 times the size of the UK with double the UK population ....  and Toyota ( and others ) proposing taking mainstream Hydrogen Cell powered cars to the masses as the mainstream fuel at the behest of the Govt there

Methinks EV is a no contest, probable realistically a non-starter when reality sets in for users ........................ and this Govt 

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links