Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre shine recommendations

Andy B

Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing a tyre shine product and wondered what people's recommendations would be.

I would prefer a product that is applied with a sponge\applicator pad rather than a spray-on type. Obviously needs to leave a long-lasting shine and not all come off (leaving splats all over the paintwork) at the first sign of rain. I've seen "Bouncer's Dress to Impress" mentioned in a number of posts which seems quite good but happy to consider other products too.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Gyeon tire express is superb and leaves a lovely natural finish. Autoglym tyre gel is good but can sling a bit if over applied.

If you can make sure these go on a clean tyre they will last longer and regular topping up seems to help.

Gyeon tire express on my Mazda a few weeks ago. A little goes a long way. c5cb108b86555af704d623eaab530a94.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Bouncer's has been my 'go to' for a couple of years now. The Megs is good too, but for ease of application, lack of 'sling' onto the bodywork and durability, I've found Bouncer's hard to better and I've tried too many over the years to count from Autoglym at one budget to Swissvax at the other!

It would be hard to beat Angelwax Elixir, which not only gives tyres a durable natural-looking gloss but is also excellent on all rubber surfaces with or without minor scuffs.

On 1/21/2020 at 11:58 AM, leelacey17 said:

Gyeon tire express is superb and leaves a lovely natural finish. Autoglym tyre gel is good but can sling a bit if over applied.

If you can make sure these go on a clean tyre they will last longer and regular topping up seems to help.

Gyeon tire express on my Mazda a few weeks ago. A little goes a long way. c5cb108b86555af704d623eaab530a94.jpg

I use a few Gyeon products and find them excellent - their 'Wet Coat' is a fantastic Winter timesaver! I'll add their tyre dressing to my next car care order as my latest bottle of Bouncer's Dress to Impress is almost gone. 

Thanks for the recommendation @leelacey17

I've moved to Carpro PERL. It's a great multi-purpose product (I know - rare that such things are any good at one thing). It's not the longest lasting, but applies really nicely and notably does not fling. Also great on mudflaps and unpainted plastic trim, interior plastic and even the "vegan leather" (plastic) seats in the Tesla (similar to Merc "Artico" and Lexus "Tahara" materials. The door cards and centre console in the GS are trimmed with similar). 

Thanks again for all the replies and recommendations.

I've purchased a bottle of "Bouncers Dress To Impress" so will give that a try if and when the weather allows me to get out and give the car a really good going-over.

I'll report back here on my findings.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

With the arrival of some spring-like weather over the past few days, I decided to give the car some TLC so had a chance to use the Bouncers Dress To Impress on the tyres. 

To be honest I found that it didn't do much for the tyre walls but I'm guessing that I probably need to give each tyre a proper clean first before applying the Bouncers (any advice on what product to use to do this would be much appreciated).

What I did like about it though is how well it made the the exterior black plastic trim (wheel arches; side skirts; etc.) come up. A very nice deep black finish. And a little bit of it goes a long way.

So, overall I'm pleased with the purchase.

Thanks again for all the recommendations.

2 hours ago, Andy B said:

With the arrival of some spring-like weather over the past few days, I decided to give the car some TLC so had a chance to use the Bouncers Dress To Impress on the tyres. 

To be honest I found that it didn't do much for the tyre walls but I'm guessing that I probably need to give each tyre a proper clean first before applying the Bouncers (any advice on what product to use to do this would be much appreciated).

What I did like about it though is how well it made the the exterior black plastic trim (wheel arches; side skirts; etc.) come up. A very nice deep black finish. And a little bit of it goes a long way.

Two things on applying it to the tyres. First, they should be clean. Second, as it is a very thin product you need to work it in - I use a specially shaped applicator. It gives a very natural finish - if I'd have thought about it I'd have done some before and after shots yesterday when I was cleaning. Have a look at my Spring Clean thread and zoom in on the tyres!

• Like 1

Give some of this a go on the tyres prior to application. Cleans the rubber superbly and gives you a good clean base to work on. Might need a couple of hits but it's very good, you wont believe the muck it pulls out. 9ca2dc0beb1ad5f18fd1dcd55e8e8361.jpg

• Like 1

I have previously used this very affordable Car Plan aerosol, as recommended many times in this magazine.  https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/90998/best-tyre-shine-2019

For cleaning the tyres, I favour Autoglym wheel cleaner, the acid-free one for custom wheels.  I got the complete kit with a larger bottle and a brush from an Ebay garage for about £13.   It’s obviously a wheel cleaner, but they recommend it for the tyres too, and it’s easily rinsed off with a hose. 
https://www.autoglym.com/products/wheels/clean

Beware with that Car Plan product. I used some a few years ago and it left horrible greasy patches on the driveway that took ages to go. I much prefer a liquid product which takes longer to apply but is more controlled. I also don't like a tyre 'shine' preferring the natural look of tyres when new. 

Each to their own though, I guess it does a job.