Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does the ct200 have a problem with cat theft?

007M

I haven't really read any report of cat theft on the ct200h, so I assume the cat is in a more difficult location to get at than the likes of Prius/auris & the suv Lexus. 

23 minutes ago, 007M said:

I haven't really read any report of cat theft on the ct200h, so I assume the cat is in a more difficult location to get at than the likes of Prius/auris & the suv Lexus. 

Your assumption is based upon a false premise Mo.

20 minutes ago, Stompe said:

Hi 007M

I had mine stolen from my Ct200h Lexus just before Christmas.  See my post on this issue here 

Oh sorry to hear that sucks, thiefing scums. Have you got yours fix or are u going the route of a standard exhaust without the cat so the scumbags won't touch your car again. 

#ok I read u had it replaced via insurance. 

Damn I was looking forward to getting a ct200h this year, have to hold position for now. 

2 hours ago, 007M said:

Damn I was looking forward to getting a ct200h this year, have to hold position for now.

Why?

It's the need to tackle pollution in the cities of places like India and China that is driving up the cost of the precious metals, so it isn't going to go away anytime soon - you could be hanging on for your CT for years and years if that's how you're thinking.

Why? £1200+ or insurance excess and NCB could be affected + a huge inconvenience would be the reasons. Someone in the Toyota forum had his auris hybrid cat cut twice in 22 days. 

Unfortunately I have to consider a different option. 

But all petrol cars have cats and it's only a matter of time before the criminal element come to realise that.

Nothing is safe so you may as well have what you want.

Hybrids are considered to have more clean precious metals due to the engine not operating all the time. In addition, I read that those precious metals double in price in the last 12months, the reasons for hybrid cat theft explosion. 

2 hours ago, 007M said:

Hybrids are considered to have more clean precious metals due to the engine not operating all the time

That is just sloppy reporting by the media.

A catalyst takes part in a chemical reaction but is not itself changed in any way by that reaction, so whether the precious metals have come from a hybrid or not, or whether they are 20 years old or brand new, they will still be as good as the day they were mined. It's only bad reporting that means hybrids are being targeted more but it will even out once the scrotes get to know this.

I have read hybrid cars exhaust can be replace without a CAT, much cheaper and no further fear of the theft. Hybrids are not tested for emissions at MOT. Any knowledgeable people can shed light on this?

If this is true then it can be an option for me to own a ct200 or other hybrids. Take out and sell the cat, use the fund towards the cost of parts and labour for new exhaust. 

Have read from Toyota owners even with catloc, thiefs are still cutting through them 😞

I have a Yaris hybrid, I believe the cat is at the manifold connected to the engine so it's too difficult to get, thus not being targeted. I do want a little bigger car and remain a hybrid. But think I will keep the Yaris for now as just have changed all new tyres, and go with a diesel auto like a focus later on 😞

Shame these scums are having such a profound effect on as least my car choice, also on many Toyota hybrid owners too. 

3 hours ago, 007M said:

I have read hybrid cars exhaust can be replace without a CAT, much cheaper and no further fear of the theft. Hybrids are not tested for emissions at MOT.

Although hybrids are not emissions tested, because they left the factory with a cat it has to be present for MOT otherwise it'll fail.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 8:28 PM, DrShockr said:

There are also aftermarket options available that are much cheaper than going to the dealer, see my post here:
https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/index.php?/topic/121976-Urgent.#entry1111642

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I've just looked at that link and I cannot see anywhere about a cat lock or similar

I've just looked at that link and I cannot see anywhere about a cat lock or similar

That’s weird, the link is working for me. Search for the the thread titled “Urgent” and there’s the discussion there.

Anyhow, the main point is that there is an alternative cheaper (by a lot!) to the dealer catloc which comprises of a large metal piece fitted under the car that covers the Catalaytic converter.

Something like the following, but you’d have to buy one that fits the CT:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F233386255532

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, DrShockr said:

That’s weird, the link is working for me. Search for the the thread titled “Urgent” and there’s the discussion there.

Anyhow, the main point is that there is an alternative cheaper (by a lot!) to the dealer catloc which comprises of a large metal piece fitted under the car that covers the Catalaytic converter.

Something like the following, but you’d have to buy one that fits the CT:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F233386255532

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

found it thanks I am using a very old version of windows maybe that has something to do with it.when I clicked on the link all I got was the home page.the one I found marked urgent was one by stompe but I see what you have had fitted looks good and hopefully it will put them off.thanks again.

anyone interested I have contacted my local lexus dealer not only are they quoting £323 to supply and fit the lexus approved catloc but there is also a hold on delivery with no date given to supply.

Hi There. Having researched the methods for protecting your CAT I have decided to invent one of my own. The prices they are charging are ridiculous. If I am successful and it proves too much of a bother to make them in enough quantity at a fair price I will give you all the details to make one of your very own. All I am waiting for is my son to source me a ramp for a few hours. Keep your fingers crossed. Regards Peter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Insurance is becoming a problem now:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/feb/01/catalytic-converter-thefts-hybrid-car-insurance-toyota-prius?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I can’t help but think if there was more checking done and enforcement of the rules are scrap dealers this problem would go away. Despite cash being banned there are still too many loopholes and dodgy scrap merchants so this is too easy for criminals. 

Hi , I have had the Lexus Cat Lock fitted now, looks good, Stickers for front windows to tell them its Vin registered  Etc, My belief is they are being nicked by certain Demographic of Migrants and being shipped by container out of the Country, I'm hoping that Lexus/Toyota will come to some resolution with Insurance Companies about Cat lock theft, After all, Car manufacturers are having a tough time now,and can't afford to lose our business.

• Like 1