Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does the ct200 have a problem with cat theft?

007M

4 hours ago, Stompe said:

Hi , I have had the Lexus Cat Lock fitted now, looks good, Stickers for front windows to tell them its Vin registered  Etc, My belief is they are being nicked by certain Demographic of Migrants and being shipped by container out of the Country, I'm hoping that Lexus/Toyota will come to some resolution with Insurance Companies about Cat lock theft, After all, Car manufacturers are having a tough time now,and can't afford to lose our business.

what was the price?

23 hours ago, Stompe said:

Hi , I have had the Lexus Cat Lock fitted now, looks good, Stickers for front windows to tell them its Vin registered  Etc, My belief is they are being nicked by certain Demographic of Migrants and being shipped by container out of the Country, I'm hoping that Lexus/Toyota will come to some resolution with Insurance Companies about Cat lock theft, After all, Car manufacturers are having a tough time now,and can't afford to lose our business.

I have a couple of questions if you would.can I ask how much this part fitted was and I assume it was fitted at a main lexus dealer ?

I'm having a new ct delivered round about march/april time and I have made extensive enquiries about price fitted etc.i've actually spoken direct to the company who both make and supply lexus directly who informed me that they have just supplied them with 400 as the demand has been exceptional.i have also asked them or should I say I told them how much a lexus dealership was going to charge and fit which I've mentioned in a previous post in this thread and he was not happy. I cannot divulge on an open forum the price he quoted but enough to say it should be the same price as quoted by Toyota for fitted to their cars and this was part of the deal for them supplying to Toyota and lexus, simply because this company does not usually supply to fit cars it was primarily set up to fit vans.

lastly to the stickers.i can't make my mind up whether this is a good idea or not yes it could deter some thieves but on the other hand knowing that they usually use power saws do you not think it might make them come back with more powerful tools such as disc cutters.let's face it if they want it they will have it and seeing I believe the going price to them is somewhere in the region of £300-£500 also let me ask if you saw it happening to your car would you try and stop them knowing they could be armed.i had the same situation about stickers when I had a tracker fitted to a previous car do you advertise the fact via a sticker or not.

thanks in advance for your reply

Does the car alarm do not pick up on car being lifted? I mean, some car alarms have tilt sensors so they should react to a car being tilted, no?

Is it not cheaper to install an aftermarket alarm that has it? I am sure someone looked into it.

Quoting from a Prius owner in the Toyota forum:

I have had two Catalytic converters stolen on my Toyota Prius 2008 in the last three months. First in Luton in November 2019 then in Bletchley January 2020. The second time I had a Catloc fitted for protection but it made no difference to the thieves. I was parked for just one hour the second time. My insurance will be much more expensive about double from £450 to £950 approx, I have had to pay excess twice of £250, plus the stress of all this. The whole thing has really had a negative affect on my health. I would not recommend buying any hybrid car mainly Toyotas at the moment or having a Catloc fitted, they are useless. Toyota in Luton (Steven Eagell) who fitted the Exhaust and Catloc could not care less about my situation. I spoke to Catloc who were the same and have not helped or could not care. There is a UK epidemic at the moment of catalytic converter thefts due to the price of palladium and rhodium metals in the cats. I am getting rid of my Prius as soon as possible this weekend I hope. I am not going to buy a Toyota again after my experience, and advise friends and colleges against them, mainly hybrids, due to the thefts. 

Kind regards 

James Webster 

31 minutes ago, 007M said:

Quoting from a Prius owner in the Toyota forum:

I have had two Catalytic converters stolen on my Toyota Prius 2008 in the last three months. First in Luton in November 2019 then in Bletchley January 2020. The second time I had a Catloc fitted for protection but it made no difference to the thieves. I was parked for just one hour the second time. My insurance will be much more expensive about double from £450 to £950 approx, I have had to pay excess twice of £250, plus the stress of all this. The whole thing has really had a negative affect on my health. I would not recommend buying any hybrid car mainly Toyotas at the moment or having a Catloc fitted, they are useless. Toyota in Luton (Steven Eagell) who fitted the Exhaust and Catloc could not care less about my situation. I spoke to Catloc who were the same and have not helped or could not care. There is a UK epidemic at the moment of catalytic converter thefts due to the price of palladium and rhodium metals in the cats. I am getting rid of my Prius as soon as possible this weekend I hope. I am not going to buy a Toyota again after my experience, and advise friends and colleges against them, mainly hybrids, due to the thefts. 

Kind regards 

James Webster 

Would painting the CAT section of the exhaust system with indelible paint help to deter thieves ? 

Would painting the CAT section of the exhaust system with indelible paint help to deter thieves ? 

They are not going to care, they will steal the cat regardless. The police need to set up sting operations and lock these thiefs away, and enforcement need to be done on metal dealers/export borders. 

I have to stay put with what I have or change to a diesel auto until such time these doesn't happen anymore. 

I'm fortunate to have a car which isn't being targeted, but feel bad for the rest of you guys. 

31 minutes ago, 007M said:

They are not going to care, they will steal the cat regardless. The police need to set up sting operations and lock these thiefs away, and enforcement need to be done on metal dealers/export borders. 

I have to stay put with what I have or change to a diesel auto until such time these doesn't happen anymore. 

I'm fortunate to have a car which isn't being targeted, but feel bad for the rest of you guys. 

Do diesels have cats?

All modern petrol & diesel have cats, but they are not being targeted. Only certain hybrids are being targeted.

* I heard from a friend of mine that the Mercedes sprinter vans entire exhausts are targeted due to £1k price they command on the black market. He used to drive them at work. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 007M said:

I believe two things are being looked into at the moment.cats that are ceramic and not filled with precious metals and also the possibility of having the cat fitted higher up the exhaust which would make it more difficult to pinch.the ones generally being pinched at the moment have the cats fitted in the middle of the exhaust runs and that includes vans as well.

• 1 year later...

Don’t want to keep worrying over cat theft on my ‘17 CT and want to find somewhere to have CATLOC fitted or install myself. I live in the Biggin Hill/Westerham area. Can anyone help please?

7 hours ago, Jgmm said:

Don’t want to keep worrying over cat theft on my ‘17 CT and want to find somewhere to have CATLOC fitted or install myself. I live in the Biggin Hill/Westerham area. Can anyone help please?

Best to speak to your local Lexus dealer, they are able to supply and fit genuine CATLOCs. They may also be able to mark your vehicle with Smar****er FOC:

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/catalytic-converter-theft/

• 2 weeks later...

5 hours ago, elmexicano said:

Smart Liquid with a forensic footprint are offered from Lexus Dealerships for free. Try to take a look at this option!

If such a thing does function it would reduce the value of a complete cat.

What is it?

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Matt busby said:

I had a cat lock fitted to my ct, wasn't expecting how big the steel plate was going to be but very impressed well worth the few hundred quid 

The extra piece of mind it will give you when your parked up will be well worth it. Your in the Midlands, was it at a Lexus dealership? Lexus Birmingham did mine. Also as I've mentioned in previous posts. Try and get your car DNA marked for extra piece of mind👍🏽

15 hours ago, Sled Driver said:

The extra piece of mind it will give you when your parked up will be well worth it. Your in the Midlands, was it at a Lexus dealership? Lexus Birmingham did mine. Also as I've mentioned in previous posts. Try and get your car DNA marked for extra piece of mind👍🏽

I had mine  fitted over a year ago , and yes , peice of mind is brill , but what's this car dna ur talking about 

The kit is endorsed by West Midlands police and other forces. Called SelectaDNA. The kit contains a bottle with special liquid that you can apply with a cotton bud type applicator supplied. The liquid is impregnated with a special code. That code is unique. Mark with the liquid places like hinges, catches, door shuts, panels, parts in the engine bay etc. It also has window stickers and stickers to put inside places like the engine bay, the boot and door pillars. An etching kit is supplied to stick a warning onto each window. Then like with the Catloc, there's a register to enter your kit details.

So if unfortunately you find one day after parking your pride and joy that a few parts have gone missing and it's been scavenged. The police can use the register to try and trace. Then hopefully having it marked will be a deterant.

https://www.selectadna.co.uk/dna-asset-marking/SelectaDNA-vehicle-kit 

I also registered on the website WMNow. Which is via the police to keep you aware of crime activity that may impact your local area https://www.wmnow.co.uk/

I heard about SelectaDNA through this community website and at the time had a half price offer to purchase the kit. Hope it helps. But also for any other fellow LOC members elsewhere in the UK to protect your possessions 👍🏽

We all work hard to try and afford the best possible. The scum that want to steal and get things the easy way. We just need to make life difficult for them. 

6 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Worth getting in touch with Toyota. They were providing Smar****er marking for free

https://media.toyota.co.uk/toyota-to-covertly-mark-more-than-100000-catalytic-converters-to-combat-theft/

The above from Toyota /Lexus will  get the actual catalytic converter marked. 

Getting an official Catloc through your local Lexus dealership will include the Catloc itself being marked and then guidance to get that registered through the ISR (International Security Register).

SelectaDNA kits allow you to yourself mark various parts of your own car and then use the included guide to register your vehicle. SelectaDNA also have other kits available for home items, bikes etc.

There are other different kits available out there. 

If it wasn't for the Lexus Owners Club, I would never have been aware about the catalytic converter thefts out there. Therefore there's lots of options for fellow LOC members! 

• Like 1

I've just bought a CT from a Lexus dealer which wasn't fitted with a catloc.  They have agreed to fit one for free before I pick it up from them.  Only knew about it because y mate is a mechanic and MOT tester so he pointed it out to them 

4 minutes ago, Sarmitage said:

I've just bought a CT from a Lexus dealer which wasn't fitted with a catloc.  They have agreed to fit one for free before I pick it up from them.  Only knew about it because y mate is a mechanic and MOT tester so he pointed it out to them 

Name of the helpful Dealer please Stewart.