Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Repair or Replace Leather on Seats?

GS 450h, what a crackin car with one wee niggle the driver seat has a couple of slits in the perforated leather, one in the back support and another in the  base cushion.

This is buggin the hell out of me, as it's perforated leather it will only get worse with time.

Have any members used   https://www.theseatsurgeons.co.uk/ ? They can do a standard leather refit for for just over £1k.

Lexus Direct however quoted ...

"Hi Colin
The covers are available separately too, the backrest cover is £1956.08 and the base is £1536.16 including VAT. These are both available for five working day delivery which will be £5.99 to UK Mainland.
Parts Supervisor
Lexus Parts Direct"

What is the tried and tested answer to split leather seats?

Thanks Colin

Any decent retrim shop should be able to replace the split panels with identical leather for significantly less than those quotes.

Many such slits can be repaired in situ, virtually invisibly.

Your location may be the biggest hurdle though...

Sounds like a thread for the detailing section 🙂

If it's not an outright tear, it's probably damaged topcoat - can be restored. I have no clue what products (dyes) are good, who's selling what, etc.

I'd also look into replacing the seat foam underneath.

• 4 months later...

Replacing the complete seat is easy enough, 4 bolts and one electrical connector releases it. Just about manageable to lift out for one person.

Repair is a different matter however, something I am attempting at the moment.

As you have discovered for yourself the OEM replacement covers are a ridiculous price, I did find a company who custom make and fit replacement covers but again your location may be a problem. 

12 hours ago, Rolando1 said:

Did you swap out the seats on your own or take to to a garage? 

Swapped the seat myself - just 3 connectors and 4 bolts and that's it.

Still have my old seat - if ever I am tempted to have a go at replacing the torn bit....mmmm I might just remove the back cover, buy the replacement leather and when on holiday back in my home country get this done for peanuts! Now that's an idea.....