Last week I noticed an overheating front disc and put it in, today, with Lexus Hedge End. To cut a long story short, apparently the caliper was seized. I had to have a new caliper fitted but the disc had also warped necessitating replacement of both front discs (no point in just doing the warped one) and new pads fitted. Lexus Hedge End were very good and I highly recommend them. However, they told me they had never seen this problem before and were going to send the defective caliper on to Lexus for their assessment. By the way, the car is an is300h f sport (65 plate) with 45000 miles on the clock. The reason I am posting this is to see if any others have had this problem before or am I just unlucky. Thanks for a response.

• Like 1

Last week I noticed an overheating front disc and put it in, today, with Lexus Hedge End. To cut a long story short, apparently the caliper was seized. I had to have a new caliper fitted but the disc had also warped necessitating replacement of both front discs (no point in just doing the warped one) and new pads fitted. Lexus Hedge End were very good and I highly recommend them. However, they told me they had never seen this problem before and were going to send the defective caliper on to Lexus for their assessment. By the way, the car is an is300h f sport (65 plate) with 45000 miles on the clock. The reason I am posting this is to see if any others have had this problem before or am I just unlucky. Thanks for a response.

My 63 plate IS300H has suffered seized sliders recently.

Sadly because of the mileage I have done (140,000 miles) Lexus would not be interested in mine.

As an aside my rears are starting to stick so I have bought a set of used callipers from eBay that I am now overhauling to put on mine soon.

Sadly Toyota have a terrible reputation for sticking callipers, especially the rears

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Problem is the slide pins on said calipers, they do need regular ( ideally every 6 months) maintainance to keep them free moving but alas this is not a detailed item in any service schedule so it is a case of 'When and Not if' unless you state specifically to have it done at service time or do it yourself.

My front caliper was seized last year and replaced under extended warranty. I paid for new disks and pads (both sides)

It’s going in tomorrow for air con compressor replacement and regas. Again under warranty. I will have got my money’s worth from the warranty.

65 plate 40,000 miles.

Thanks

Paul

Been thinking about taking a look at mine. Need some paint on the calipers too. Anyone got a diagram of the calipers?

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

With a 48,000 miles 15 plate IS 300 I was alarmed to read PaulWhitt's problems.  Am due for a service in a month.  Was the aircon compressor failure very noticeable and is a regas covered by warranty ?

1 hour ago, BigChange said:

With a 48,000 miles 15 plate IS 300 I was alarmed to read PaulWhitt's problems.  Am due for a service in a month.  Was the aircon compressor failure very noticeable and is a regas covered by warranty ?

Yes. Even if the compressor did not fail if the AC looses gas in the guarantee period there must be a leak that requires fixing, and the gas restoring to make the AC work. If the AC is working then you cannot expect an AC service for no reason.

John.

mk2 IS was notorious for calipers issues and the caliper design stayed the same in principle so I would not be surprised if mk3 with the age and mileage will start showing similar issues.

Many thanks for all the responses. I would really like to know what Lexus think about this “potential” issue. I don’t know what the exact failure mode was on my caliper but I will try and find out from Lexus Hedge End and see if they have had any comment from Lexus. If I get any further details I will let the community know. Thanks again to those who responded, it’s really good to know that there are so many of you out there who care enough about their cars to bother.

To be honest, lubricating the sliders isn't a big job, but if you're unable to do it yourself, asking Lexus to do it on a service should prompt them to add it to the list, however, it would possibly add an hour to the labour charge if you can stand that on the bill.

We had a Mercedes SLK200 that suffered from seized calipers regularly, along with broken suspension springs, rattles and squeaks, I'll never entertain another one, that's for sure. 

• Like 1