Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Seized caliper

I've just recently purchased a 2014 IS300H, how can I check that I don't have this issue?, bit worried it's common and I won't notice it happening..

It’s the rears more than the fronts, however to check all I have ever done is whipped the wheel off, slackened the 2 13mm bolts that hold the caliper to the main body. And removed the bottom one, this allows you to swing the caliper up and then gently move it away and towards you so as to check the pins are moving freely.

It’s easier to show you rather than describe it

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 11:02 PM, corpjones said:

I've just recently purchased a 2014 IS300H, how can I check that I don't have this issue?, bit worried it's common and I won't notice it happening..

I also just purchased my 2015 IS (20k miles) last year and I would say to save yourself a future big bill, have the slide pins pro-actively regreased now. I just did a major service on mine and Lexus Sidcup charged me an extra £100 to do all the slide pins when I requested this on top of the standard service items. Once done you probably only need to redo every 20/30k or 2/3 years. My original pads still had 10mm left on them so first regrease due at 5 years of low mileage, sooner if higher mileage.

• Like 1

In my experience there are 2 problems with these floating calliper brakes. The major problem is certainly stuck slide pins.

The other is what Paul Brooksbank mentioned in April. He said 'The pads needing a hammer to remove is quite normal in my experience due to corrosion on the upper and lower edges of the backing plates'. As the rust develops it squeezes the channels in which the pads slide. This causes the pads to become stuck, thus resulting in a premature replacement of pads & discs.

I fix this by using a wire brush to remove the rust & then applying a trace of silicon grease to reduce future corrosion of the disc brake cylinder mounting at the undersides of the stainless steel pad support plates. 

image.thumb.png.785536ae01fec907160d5421ff54489c.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2020 at 11:02 PM, corpjones said:

Remove the calliper bolts to access the slide pins then see if they turn with a 17mm spanner on the nut and slide our easily.

F0CDE823-0CFA-40DB-8D65-4DE2261D5E51.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GS300h2014 said:

In my experience there are 2 problems with these floating calliper brakes. The major problem is certainly stuck slide pins.

The other is what Paul Brooksbank mentioned in April. He said 'The pads needing a hammer to remove is quite normal in my experience due to corrosion on the upper and lower edges of the backing plates'. As the rust develops it squeezes the channels in which the pads slide. This causes the pads to become stuck, thus resulting in a premature replacement of pads & discs.

I fix this by using a wire brush to remove the rust & then applying a trace of silicon grease to reduce future corrosion of the disc brake cylinder mounting at the undersides of the stainless steel pad support plates. 

image.thumb.png.785536ae01fec907160d5421ff54489c.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Thanks for the detail on this. Do you have a photo of the actual part/area of the car and I assume wheels have to come off to access the area to treat?

Max, It's a non trivial task involving removing wheel, moving the calliper & removing the pads. Extra care is needed if the car is a hybrid. I've just mine at 53k and 6 years & they were just starting to bind. However the sliding pins were free to move. I haven't a photo but here's one of a similar setup on a Prius with the guy pointing to one of the 4 pad contact areas which corrode.

image.thumb.png.e820b738bc39e9e8629245ee8fec34c0.png

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2020 at 11:41 AM, GS300h2014 said:

Max, It's a non trivial task involving removing wheel, moving the calliper & removing the pads. Extra care is needed if the car is a hybrid. I've just mine at 53k and 6 years & they were just starting to bind. However the sliding pins were free to move. I haven't a photo but here's one of a similar setup on a Prius with the guy pointing to one of the 4 pad contact areas which corrode.

image.thumb.png.e820b738bc39e9e8629245ee8fec34c0.png

This is very interesting, thanks again. I thought I had done enough getting Lexus to grease the pins. If you have a link for the full YouTube video please share. Another thing I’ll have to make a special request for next service...

• 3 months later...

Hi 

Since few mths ago i started having problems with my brakes on my 2015 Lexus IS 300h. Went to a mechanic and been told front discs are warped so got new discs from Lexus changed them and new pads so all good for a mth or so then back to the same problem and to the mechanic. Again took discs off and went for skimming as i was told not to buy new ones again. One was warped so fix it and put then back on the car. After about 2 mths again the same problem so went and got again new discs and pads. Everything ok for a while but now same problem back again. No one knows the exact problem. ANYONE any ideas,please. Thank you 

7 hours ago, AndrewLast said:

Hi 

Since few mths ago i started having problems with my brakes on my 2015 Lexus IS 300h. Went to a mechanic and been told front discs are warped so got new discs from Lexus changed them and new pads so all good for a mth or so then back to the same problem and to the mechanic. Again took discs off and went for skimming as i was told not to buy new ones again. One was warped so fix it and put then back on the car. After about 2 mths again the same problem so went and got again new discs and pads. Everything ok for a while but now same problem back again. No one knows the exact problem. ANYONE any ideas,please. Thank you 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links