Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yokohama or Michelin Cross Climate's?

Hi

Just been to lexus and it seems that I need to replace the front tyres.

Lexus has recommended me the Yokohama ones I said I prefer Michelin Cross Climate's.

They claim (Lexus) that the Michelin Cross Climate's are not as good and they will make a lots of noise when driving.

Also they said that the Yokohama are softer then better.

Well I think they are pushing me to buy something I do not want and lying a little bit to sell something they have in stock.

Can someone advise me about this?

Many thanks!

D

I changed the yokohama tyres on my NX after 5k to Michelin cross climate.  Never looked back. Better ride and quieter. Even the salesman at Lexus could not believe the difference when I let him have a drive after fitting.

I recently changed all four tyres on my NX and I am really pleased with them.  I can't remember what was on the car previously, I think that there was more than one make though.

The Michelin are spot on, the ride is excellent and they are certainly not 'noisy'

See the link to my original post above.

The CrossClimates SUV could have been designed for the NX. Quieter ride, terrific wet grip, and good wear. Only v minor reservation is that I don't think turn-in is quite as sharp as on my original Bridgestones.

No experience of the Michelin Cross Climates, but can say with certainty that my Bridgestone Blizzak full Winter tyres are significantly quieter than my Summer Yokohamas (fitted when the car was new) which tells me the Yokos are on the noisy side...

They'll be replaced this year at the end of the Summer, and I'll be returning to Falkens with which I've had excellent experience previously on a number of vehicles, with both full Winter and Summer tyres.

What miles are people getting from their tyres before needing to change them?

I am keeping an eye on my tyre wear, but with 11,000 miles on the car now, it could be a long time before I can switch to all season tyres.

Yet another vote for Michelin Cross-Climate. They seem nice and quiet, though I haven't had any other tyres to compare. I've driven another, newer, IS300h with different tyres - possibly Bridgestone - and I think the Cross-Climate was more comfortable and quieter.

The thing that has impressed me is how little they wear. They're down about 1-2mm in 15,000 miles. I think they've done around 30,000 miles so far, (though I can't be certain because they were on the car when I bought it) and they still have 4mm on the back and 5mm on the front. At that rate, they should last around another 10,000 on the back and maybe even 15-20,000 on the front before they need changing at around 3mm.

• Like 1

I too switched from Yoko to X-Climates. The Michelin are much quieter than the Yoko and great in rain and snow. The ride is also much more compliant.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I did spend a load of time deciding when i changed my 4 tyres last month and in the end as i now do little mileage decided to go the "other" route often mentioned on this forum and chose Avon. ATS did have a "special" at the time that helped Avons being almost £70 per tyre less than the Cross Climates. Very happy with my choice very marked difference with road noise.. in fact so pleased with them have replaced the tyres (needed) on SWMBOs Clio with the same.

Doing the low mileage i now do i am guessing that i will be replacing well before they wear out due to age factor.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for Cross Climates

Got them on my IS300h - they compliment the Lexus ride perfectly.

The missus has them on her RX - unstoppable in last year's little drop of snow and nice and quiet the rest of the year.

Lexus should have a chat with Michelin and fit these as default tyres. They suit the UK weather and they suit the cars to a T (tee?).

• 2 years later...

Finally got round to fitting Michelin Cross Climates to my NX300, whilst the transformation of the noise is fabulous and road manners much more comfortable the Kwik Fit experience was bloody awful. First they phoned to tell me the TPMS sensor had broken, I was forced to go to my local dealer to get a new one fitted and reprogrammed. Cost £180.00. 

Lexus cleaned car and drew my attention to state of wheels, all four wheels were scored by their tyre fitting device! Went to KF with invoice to find no manager on site. Left invoice with them and will call tomorrow. How they will resolve thme wheel damage, they are diamond cut, Premier model, and i suspect this will end up going to Head office. Anyone have any advice before i see them tomorrow?

I'll never darken their doors again, just happy to pay main dealer, they say they will price match. Lexus Glasgow brilliant to deal with if anyone needs a recommendation

Ed

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think my NX will be delivered with Run-flat tyres. How does this impact on the choice of replacement tyres? Michelin Cross Climates are favoured and recommended by many but can they be a direct replacement for the run-flats?

3 hours ago, Harrier Man said:

I think my NX will be delivered with Run-flat tyres. How does this impact on the choice of replacement tyres? Michelin Cross Climates are favoured and recommended by many but can they be a direct replacement for the run-flats?

Provided the Michelins are the same size specification then they will directly replace the Run Flats.  In fact, depending on the tread design, construction and compound mix, the Michelins will almost certainly provide a more comfortable, quieter ride with better handling and wet road performance.

RFs are not the panacea that some people suppose.  They mainly just have a thicker, more rigid sidewall so that if the tyre deflates, it can still be driven on at slow speed for a limited number of miles - sufficient to get to a replacement.  If the sidewall itself is damaged then even that may not be possible.

The disadvantages are that the thicker walls make the tyre less flexible so that road noise and vibration are more pronounced.  Even if the cause of the air loss is minor, most repairers won’t consider a RF repair because there’s no way of knowing how much damage has been caused by the wheel rim running on the sidewall.

The benefits are mainly with the car maker.  They save weight, cost and possibly space by not supplying a spare.  You’re better off with the Michelins and a SpaceSaver spare - and not an Inflation Kit substitute!

• Like 4