Recommended Posts

Hello

LS430 (2003. - 190k mileage) 

Engine light is on. OBD2 reader states code P1651. 

My search bought it up as P1651 VSV for ACIS Circuit Malfunction. 

What's the fix for this? 

Also is it safe to drive and will it effect my day to day driving? 

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A new vsv sensor. The part itself is about £60 from lexus dealer but replacing it costs just over £300 as its deep down in the engine. There is a way of bypassing it, but I'm not sure how you do it. 

 

It won't affect a thing, you can still drive your car, but you'll have engine management light on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have this fault code on my car. The engine management light has been on for a week and today it went off and did not come back on. I am keeping my fingers crossed now, but if there is a way to bypass it I would be interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, messi said:

A new vsv sensor. The part itself is about £60 from lexus dealer but replacing it costs just over £300 as its deep down in the engine. There is a way of bypassing it, but I'm not sure how you do it. 

 

It won't affect a thing, you can still drive your car, but you'll have engine management light on

Good to know it won't effect my daily driving. 

But if there's a fix or a bypass then I'll definitely try it. 

But if I get my mechanic to do the job then what does it exactly involve.? 

Any tutorials around? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2020 at 8:22 AM, Abid221 said:

Good to know it won't effect my daily driving. 

But if there's a fix or a bypass then I'll definitely try it. 

But if I get my mechanic to do the job then what does it exactly involve.? 

Any tutorials around? 

Do you have a belt change due any time soon. That's when Osaka suggested I get mine done, when they are already into the engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would you guys recommend getting this vsv changed during a cam belt change - especially if car is approaching 150k miles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had this fault code. I also had fuel seeping out of the fuel tank. When I had the tank replaced the engine management light had gone out. It has not come back on after a week.

I wonder if the fault code was caused by a loss of pressure from the fuel tank?

It might be worth checking for leaks from the fuel tank before going to the expense of having a new vsv fitted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tomtit said:

I had this fault code. I also had fuel seeping out of the fuel tank. When I had the tank replaced the engine management light had gone out. It has not come back on after a week.

I wonder if the fault code was caused by a loss of pressure from the fuel tank?

It might be worth checking for leaks from the fuel tank before going to the expense of having a new vsv fitted.

Good point because even a poor fitting fuel cap can cause all sorts of problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You aren't going to get a P1651 because of a fuel cap or leaking fuel tank. It is very specifically an issue with the VSV that controls the ACIS.

The reason for the light going out is probably because the Battery was disconnected before the fuel tank was touched which would clear the error. The ACIS on the 430 only operates at 4,700 rpm so quite likely you haven't exceeded that engine speed since, along with some other conditions that need to be met.

 

On 1/25/2020 at 7:21 PM, cruisermark said:

Would you guys recommend getting this vsv changed during a cam belt change - especially if car is approaching 150k miles?

It isn't a common issue but seems to happen more than expected (normally VSVs don't fail). Maybe because of the location gets it hotter than on other engine layouts.

I think they only cost around £60 - so worth asking how much to change it - but I think it will still involve quite a bit or work because they wouldn't take off the inlet manifold to do the timing belt but it does need to come off to get to the VSV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.