Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS400 Aux in? Audio - Sorry if it's been asked before..

Apologies if this has been asked before..

I have a Mk4 LS400 that I bought in April last year and am embarking on a European road trip in the summer having finally persuaded my wife that she's a keeper (I'm referring to the car, which was 'a discussion point' for a while).  My issue is with the stereo system and keeping us entertained as we cross Spain and drop in to Portugal, I wondered if anyone had any 'handy chaps' they could recommend to help me connect my Iphone to the system (if that is at all possible). I already have some sort of Parrot system connected in that I can't seem to use as I think it needs a Nokia from the 90's so there may be a connection already good to go in some way but it's a bit of a mystery to me. 

My screen also intermittently goes blank so if anyone can fix that it would be great, but if I can get another connection in there it wouldn't really affect me as the AC never really changes setting and I never use the Sat Nav. My aeriel also doesn't retract though I can hear the motor whirring too so really it would be nice if it was someone who had seen a lexus before and can advise if there's a cheap way to fix that or whether to not bother.

I am genuinely useless when it comes to any sort of electronical tinkering so will be looking for someone to carry out the work, I'm in Buckinghamshire but happy to travel to get it done if anyone can give me the details of a  'stand up guy' they can recommend.  

In other news after what looked like a doom laden first MOT in my ownership a few weeks after I got it for £850 I've just ticked over 10,000 trouble free and rather glorious miles in my ownership and am absolutely hooked!

Any help appreciated.

Ben

If you are any good with mechanics you can find replacement masts for the aerial on eBay (around £15), instructions can be found on lexusls.com.    I need to do mine, but have lived with it stuck in air for last 18 months.

On the Audio front, I just use a Cassette Adaptor and plug my Phone in via headphone socket.  Sound quality is good seems to be various sorts on eBay (Maplins used to do really good ones, but they went bust).

But it seems you can now get Bluetooth Casette Adpators for about £15, not tried one myself, but save a heck of a lot fiddling with the LS, if all you want music in the car, and just listen to one album after the other.

Some earlier Bluetooth receivers do not seem to work with newer devices, so maybe the Parrot is not fit for modern devices.  I had no end of problems when I got my new Samsung phone, a number of my home Bluetooth audio transmitters (Jongo units) needed software upgrade to work.

Thanks Pete, I'd assumed I'd need to find a breaker or spend a fortune for a an aerial, that will smarten it up even if I have to wait for someone brighter than me to connect it to the radio. 

That's a good shout with the adapter, I'd clean forgotten about the tape player!   I've just ordered one from amazon that seemed quite well rated, you can still get the Maplin ones for £5 on eBay!  Probably best not to start fiddling too much if it can be avoided. 

I had a thing a while ago for my old car that tuned in to a the radio and transmitted it to a station you preset, it was not cheap but it was absolutely woeful (really quiet) but these systems look like they make sense.  I'm not after perfect reference hi-fi but it would be nice to have the option to listen to an audiobook occasionally with a bit of clarity.

I ended up getting a Parrot MKi9200 unit fitted in my 1998 LS400. It gives me hands-free Bluetooth calling plus ipod classic connection for music (will also take 3.5mm input as well as USB). I had it fitted by Phillip@Just Car Kits [https://www.justcarkits.co.uk/] in Slough. He is a very capable installer and despite the complexities of the Lexus sound system (amplifier, etc.) managed to achieve a good installation. I had some issues with the Parrot unit he supplied having a fault that prevented voice-based commands working (or reading out loud menu choices)  and Parrot UK support was rubbish. However I managed to source a replacement MKi9200 unit from Halfords that worked perfectly which Phil re-fitted.

Before you try a replacement aerial or aerial mast, give the aerial a good clean up with chrome cleaner, polish or very fine wire wool (0000 grade, which will not scratch the chrome). Then spray some WD40 or light lubricating oil on the aerial. It might then retract properly. Mine stopped retracting one day and I gave it a good clean up and lubrication. It has worked fine since then.

Thanks Colin, I could give that a crack.  It's got slightly 'bowed' over the years so it might be worth me splashing out on a new one but ill give it a crack. The tape connector idea for the Iphone worked though, I got an Arsvita unit for about 6 quid and seem great!.