Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The passenger mirror of my 2008 GS450H struck a sticking out wheelie bin as I dodged an oncoming car during a tight spot in a village on the way home from work. Smashed. Infuriated.

The mirror housing looks fine, so I called Lexus and was quoted £330 for the glass. The glass!!!

Has anyone replaced their glass for less than this? I was expecting north of £100 but £330 seems ridiculous.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Things have moved on.  When I spoke with Lexus last night they promised to call me back this morning with potentially a better price.  However even though that phone call came in promptly at 8:30, they couldn't move on price.  I also have a feeling that I'm going to need a new bracket behind the glass too, which is another £140 ish.  

With all this in mind I've just bought a complete wing mirror including the glass from a 2008 GS450 on eBay for £140, delivered.

Next question: Does anyone have any fitting instructions for replacing a wing mirror?

Funnily enough I got a complete mirror delivered off eBay yesterday. For all you high rollers in the gen 3 GS, mine was 25 quid delivered :biggrin: I only really needed the glass too.

Now keeping in mind mine is second generation and yours is third, I popped in to see Dave at Lex-Tek but needn't have because replacement was very easy. There are 4 clips holding the glass to the backing. Swivel the glass so the mirror is pointing up and pull off the bottom two first and then the top two. Undo the connector and you're done. Fitting is the reverse.

Again, there's a few years difference between ours but it shouldn't be vastly different. Hopefully the above will be of help.

• Like 2

Thanks Rich, really helpful. [emoji106]

Once I have a bit of time in daylight I’ll get into the guts of my current mirror, remove the glass and see what’s going on, with a view of ensuring an easy replacement using my new one.

Worst case scenario is I presumably have to take the door card off and replace the whole wing mirror, but hey, worse things happen at sea!

if you wanted to just replace the glass itself, non heated though and just to stick-on over the existing then I have a good contact and will cut to your template

Cost @£20   2 years ago for my Honda Legend, Honda too wanted an eye-watering sum for the glass alone, stupid money

Malc

3 hours ago, rich1068 said:

There are 4 clips holding the glass to the backing. Swivel the glass so the mirror is pointing up and pull off the bottom two first and then the top two.

It is as Richard says BUT it is very much easier on a hot day. If it is not hot heat up behind the glass with a hair dryer first. I fist tried mine when it was cold and feared I would break something.  Later on a hot day the glass just pooped out of the clips very easily.

John

• Like 1

Just now, OldTrout said:

It is as Richard says BUT it is very much easier on a hot day. If it is not hot heat up behind the glass with a hair dryer first. I fist tried mine when it was cold and feared I would break something.  Later on a hot day the glass just pooped out of the clips very easily.

John

Pop in this context means "easy?"

Poop in this context means ?     (LOL)

The part arrived having ordered on eBay on Friday. Very good service!

I worked from home this afternoon so I could tackle the wing mirror. My first idea was to simply swap the glass over. That proved to be a non starter so I eventually replaced the entire wing mirror with the new (used) part, which involved taking the door card off and faffing about loosening trim pieces.

All back together and fully functional now however and £140 is considerably better than the £500+ it would have been at a Lexus.

b716270d46fba7db307d96ac27ade8ae.jpg

0aa29ae61533e2476dab21a0c2a85320.jpg

10664510fcb8c5daac43ef429ea9b9d5.jpg

My word my car is filthy...

• Like 2

Well done [emoji122]

Did you manage to source a replacement in the right colour?

Thanks buddy. Yes! The replacement mirror is also black, so it really was just plug and play/pray.

• Like 1

Have to say that eBay is extremely useful for this kind of thing and there are some genuinely helpful breakers out there. Always some chancers but go in with your eyes open and you can't go wrong. Since getting my GS I've spent around £100 on second hand genuine parts that would have cost thousands elsewhere

• auto dimming mirror complete £25
  • parking sensors £12
  • sat nav unit £25
  • centre caps £12
  • fog light £20
  • gear knob £15

All a bit rough around the edges but so's my car :biggrin:

• Like 1