Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Power Back Door (Tailgate) not working on 2010 (Series 3) RX450h

On 1/24/2020 at 7:55 AM, Nick2020 said:

Can anyone help or advise me on a fault that’s developed with the Power Back Door (PBD) on my Lexus RX450h 2010 model.

A brief background behind the issue……..The car had not been used for over a month, and the auxiliary 12V Battery in the luggage compartment had become flat. I discovered this when I went to open the Power Back Door (PBD), using the remote fob (holding the boot release button for 2.5 secs), it made the usual audible sound but failed to open due to the low Battery condition.

I disconnected the auxiliary 12V Battery and fully charged it, but now the PBD fails to open either via the PBD open / close switch on the dashboard, the external switch on the tailgate or the remote fob. 

I have carried out some troubleshooting and steps to try and resolve the fault without much success, this included:

1.     Checked to make that the main switch to activate the PBD, which is located in the glovebox, is still set to the ON position.
2.    Tried performed the initialisation steps detailed in the owners manual (page 90) several times.
3.    Disconnected the 12v auxiliary Battery for over 30 mins, then tried reconnecting it and performing step 2.
4.    After initialising the system several times I have tried to open using  either the switch on the dashboard, the external switch on the tailgate or using the remote fob.

What I have observed when I try to open the Power Back Door is:

1.    There is no audible sound (2 beeps) or indicator flashes when the open/close button is pressed on either the dashboard, the external switch on the tailgate lid or the remote fob.
2.    I can’t manually open the tailgate.
3.    I’m only able to manually release the back door by removing the small rectangular cover inside the car, then opening it by using the release lever. 
4.    When the back door is manually opened the 3 x cargo lights in the luggage area do not light up (all the other car interior lights work fine).  I have checked the 3 x bulbs, which are all okay and made sure the switch on each light is set in correct ON position.
5.    The external buttons on the back door above the number plate, when pressed, open and lock all the other doors on the car, so I'm guessing it could be an issue with PBD lock only. 
6.    The reversing camera on the tailgate works fine too.

The owners manual mentions a fuse in the engine compartment (Type B fuse box - Fuse 9   30A - Power back door system) (see pics), but I can’t see any way to easily remove or check the fuse?

Does anyone know where the switch that activates the 3 x  cargo lights is located (PBD Lock, lift motor or another location)?

Are there any other fuses, relays or other points on the car  I should check?

Does anyone have detailed information about the operation of the PBD lock and lift motor or a circuit diagram? 

Any helpful advice or other areas you can suggest to check would be appreciated, as I’m now running out of ideas.

Thanks

19BD5E15-6CA7-4245-8456-5B0F90C9D221.jpeg

B4A4FAAA-B8F0-4560-B823-791AEED04DC4.jpeg

Hi, it seems Nick has some answers! I have exactly the same problems with my PBD. Tried all the basics.The tailgate has not worked since I had to recharge the 12v.the other week due to lack of use during lockdown, also just after the freezing couple of days. Could this all be linked.

Nick if your still there would you mind sending me you suggestion much appreciated Ted

5 hours ago, alitech said:

I just called Lexus after almost giving up with this and they have quoted £180 Plus to just investigate the issue. 50% of that can be used for any remedial work. 

IT STARTS!!!!!! There goes my sanity

Welcome to the club. Normally, when I buy a new used car, I do the first service at dealer. With this car I skipped, because even the oil change prices are a rip-off with Lexus. BTW, check with Toyota dealer - as far as I know, they are licensed and have expertise to do Lexus as well.

My PBD ECU does not respond to changes of temperature / reconnecting / charging Battery, so I joined Jean-Christophe in ordering a replacement part from Emirates (megazip.net store).

Part number for 2009-2012 RX450x is 68910-48023 or 68910-0E024 (US analog). After 2012 it has different part number and may be incompatible.

Will report on the taxes and overall results, when it arrives.

• Like 2

hello,

some fresh news.

I received my new PBD yesterday and it took 2 min to plug it in my RX: the boot's light came on, then all the rest OK.

So in my case, I am now pretty sure the problem is a component failure in he PBD printed board (temperature sensibility?).

I spent about one hour to replace all element (PBD, plastics, etc...), it is very easy to remove and reinstall.

for information, I bought the PBD at Partsouq, dubai.

image.thumb.png.88a97312ada865bff32828c5abc39af4.png

461.95USD and 140 USD add for custom

Lexus france told me 1 500 USD only for the part, and 1 800 USD total replacement incl. 

In my case it worked and no need to spend further money, 600 USD is quite enough.

if you have some question, don't hesitate.

• Like 5

On 2/9/2021 at 12:04 PM, Herbie said:

Just sent you a PM now Kate, hope it helps.

Hi Herbie, i have the same issue. And my garage could not sort it out. Any chance you can email me how to get it sorted please. Thanks

39 minutes ago, Ajay76 said:

Hi Herbie, i have the same issue. And my garage could not sort it out. Any chance you can email me how to get it sorted please. Thanks

Just sent a message to you now Ajay.

Had my order for 68910-48023 (RX450h 2010-2012) from Emirates cancelled by megazip.net. Apparently they are out of stock. Price on the website jumped from about $400 to $1400 (currenly available from Japan only).

If anybody interested, this part currently retails on lexuspartsdirect for £867.56, including VAT (link). This may be a more trouble-free way of getting the part from within the UK still at some discount to dealer's catalogue.

The PBD unit for RX450h 2013-2015 (68910-48033) seems to be better stocked and can be found for lower price, but the compatibility is a big question: it can be just different colour marking of the wires, but can also be different signal sequencing and different wiring of the socket.

13 minutes ago, Vadim said:

Had my order for 68910-48023 (RX450h 2010-2012) from Emirates cancelled by megazip.net. Apparently they are out of stock. Price on the website jumped from about $400 to $1400 (currenly available from Japan only).

If anybody interested, this part currently retails on lexuspartsdirect for £867.56, including VAT (link). This may be a more trouble-free way of getting the part from within the UK still at some discount to dealer's catalogue.

The PBD unit for RX450h 2013-2015 (68910-48033) seems to be better stocked and can be found for lower price, but the compatibility is a big question: it can be just different colour marking of the wires, but can also be different signal sequencing and different wiring of the socket.

In light of this, I think I am getting a good deal then. I have booked my car in with Lexus to do the PBD with an all inclusive price of £990. 

Hi Vadim, seems a good deal you must let me know which Lexus dealer you use. I just been quoted £1615 to supply and fit by Lexus Tunbridge  Wells. They also stated the part did not require a diagnostic check  so when I mentioned code DTC u0230 he said it wasn't  necessary. They also mentioned they had not had any other cars in with problem recently.

All very odd.

Cheers 

Ted

3 minutes ago, Tedo said:

Hi Vadim, seems a good deal you must let me know which Lexus dealer you use. I just been quoted £1615 to supply and fit by Lexus Tunbridge  Wells. They also stated the part did not require a diagnostic check  so when I mentioned code DTC u0230 he said it wasn't  necessary. They also mentioned they had not had any other cars in with problem recently.

All very odd.

Cheers 

Ted

Ps they also mentioned the part was not available  until  the end of March 

1 hour ago, Tedo said:

They also stated the part did not require a diagnostic check  so when I mentioned code DTC u0230 he said it wasn't  necessary. They also mentioned they had not had any other cars in with problem recently.

That looks very suspicious to me!

They are going to take your word, the word of an untrained member of the public, that that part is faulty without any checks at all? Will they give you a refund or supply the correct part free of charge if this doesn't fix the problem? I think not. At least if they diagnose an incorrect part it should be their responsibility, but as it is, the onus is on you.

Having spent all my life in maintenance, the only way I would do that is if I'd had dozens and dozens of the same item failing and when the next one came in, I could then say, "Ah yes, it'll be this. We've had x-number of these fail and it's always been this that causes it."

However, that last sentence seems to contradict that.

41 minutes ago, Herbie said:

They are going to take your word

If they have the part in stock, they can do “plug and see” instead of spending time on diagnostics. If the new part does not fix the problem, it can go back to the shelve. 
Also the PBD ECU appears to be a known weak spot of the car, despite Lexus dealers are reluctant to recognise it.

2 hours ago, Vadim said:

If they have the part in stock, they can do “plug and see” instead of spending time on diagnostics. If the new part does not fix the problem, it can go back to the shelve.

I agree Vadim, but he said the part won't be available until the end of the month so that sounds like they're ordering it in for him.

Yes and I very much doubt that would be a stock item anyway. Probably not even stocked centrally in the UK or Europe and is coming from Japan.

But I'm sure if you ring up a dealer and say you want the motor assembly replaced they are more than happy to take your money without any diagnostics, but no if the problem isn't resolved they aren't going to refund you.

If anyone has a faulty device that generated a u0230 code them I'm more than happy to try and fault find the problem if they send it to me - if the device isn't communicating on the bus then I should be able to see no activity on the CAN bus with a scope when it is powered up and can temperature test each component and reflow the solder.

• Like 1

Hi Herbie,

I have the same issue with my 2010 RX450h. No sound or noise when trying to open the boot. Went to two mechanics and still no solution. Could you please send me the information?

Thanks in advance

Well i finally caved in in trying to further diagnose my problem, pbd not working and audio system and cameras also not working. I took it to Lexus Crawley (Motorline) and left it with them for 3 days to inspect. I appears that I have had water ingress from under the rear top spoiler  which has taken out the motor, part being £700 plus vat and installation. The audio system has also suffered and needed replacing at £1700 plus vat and installation for an exchange unit. Bill was looking at around £4k so they have taken it in part exchange for an 18 plate F-Sport RX due to arrive for me mid week. Might have taken a hit by i'm getting on so g=havent the time and energy to fix myself unfortunately. will post photos when arrives,

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

Well i finally caved in in trying to further diagnose my problem, pbd not working and audio system and cameras also not working. I took it to Lexus Crawley (Motorline) and left it with them for 3 days to inspect. I appears that I have had water ingress from under the rear top spoiler  which has taken out the motor, part being £700 plus vat and installation. The audio system has also suffered and needed replacing at £1700 plus vat and installation for an exchange unit. Bill was looking at around £4k so they have taken it in part exchange for an 18 plate F-Sport RX due to arrive for me mid week. Might have taken a hit by i'm getting on so g=havent the time and energy to fix myself unfortunately. will post photos when arrives,

Sorry to hear that Chris but I expect you are excited about your coming vehicle. 

Were you happy with the trade-in price they gave you? I mean was it better than you expected considering the problems?

40 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

If it works for you Chris, then its fine.

How would you rate Motorline (Crawley) ?

12 hours ago, Jgreen said:

I have the same issue with my 2010 RX450h. No sound or noise when trying to open the boot. Went to two mechanics and still no solution. Could you please send me the information?

Herbie has some general reference material which does not provide a resolution to the problem with PBD directly (but still good to have if you plan to DIY repair your RX in the future).

If the glovebox button is of no help, brace yourself for the PBD unit change at £1k++. It may be worth checking the replacement cost with a few dealers because the price may vary a great deal, and the part is not always in stock.

If any of your mechanics have Techstream device to read the ECU error code for PBD, it can save money which Lexus would ask for diagnostics, and add more clarity.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Herbie please could you send me the info you sent the others? I am cleaning up after an installer who repaired a smashed rear window. I just want to make sure everything is present and correct.  

21 minutes ago, Jaga said:

Hi @Herbie please could you send me the info you sent the others? I am cleaning up after an installer who repaired a smashed rear window. I just want to make sure everything is present and correct.  

Just sent now James.