Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Power Back Door (Tailgate) not working on 2010 (Series 3) RX450h

This circuit board seems to dislike low voltage, possibly because of the high current drawn by the tailgate operation.The pcb seems to shut down if voltage is damagingly low to avoid burning out the motor?

The newer Mercedes cars are also very sensitive to Battery volts and automatically and progressively shuts down equipment as voltage falls.

Bmw had a memory thing on their tailgate pcb where it started in the position it was, last time it shut off , so it could get out of sync with the actual tailgate.Maybe pulling the inside handle on yours had timed it back in sync.?

on the Bmw I closed the striking latch with a screwdriver while it was open and then operated the handle.

Never had this problem with my old landrover……..

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, peter smith 1951 said:

Hi Herbie, I’ve had this tailgate problem now for over a year. I would greatly appreciate you sending any information that you have on this.

Many thanks

Pete

Just PM'd you Peter.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

12 hours ago, Tiimmyy said:

Hi everyone , i‘ve got the same issue with my 450H 2010 ( code U0230)

Any tip before replacing this ( expensive) part ? 

thanks ☺️

Just sent you a PM Tim.

On 2/21/2021 at 2:02 PM, Herbie said:

I'm 90% sure that this'll be the gas struts but before spending any money, check the alignment of the tailgate and make sure the hinges and/or fixing brackets are tight. The tailgate needs to rise straight up, if anything is kocking it out of alignment that could be the problem.

I called lexus on Friday to order struts, no availability... hope this is not a long term issue as I plan to replace mine as a preventive measure .

1 hour ago, RonsonSJohnson said:

I called lexus on Friday to order struts, no availability... hope this is not a long term issue as I plan to replace mine as a preventive measure .

Try this place Ronan https://www.sgs-engineering.com/car-boot-tailgate/lexus

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2021 at 2:19 PM, Herbie said:

It's not exactly the solution Patrick but it may help you get there. I've just sent it to you now.

Hi Herbie, I'm having the same issue with the PBD on my RX450H 2011. I have tried all the above steps mentioned. What other can be done? If you don't mind me asking..Regards 

1 hour ago, Chris ops said:

Hi Herbie, I'm having the same issue with the PBD on my RX450H 2011. I have tried all the above steps mentioned. What other can be done? If you don't mind me asking..Regards 

Just sent you a PM Chris.

On 2/22/2021 at 5:30 PM, Herbie said:

Just sent it to you by private message Tom. It's not a solution but will hopefully get you nearer to finding one.

Hi Herbie, all,

I'm getting the same problem of tailgate not opening and stuck so cannot open manually either, been happening just over a year, did work intermittently in between but currently not working 😞 Also coincides with my driving from 10k to 2k miles due to Covid / lockdown etc.

I know this is an old post and I'm working my way through the pages of comments however in the meantime @Herbie please could you send me your notes on this issue? Much appreciated in advance!

My 12v Battery was definitely under charged as I had to call the RAC to get me started a couple of days ago, however he confirmed that the Battery is still OK and doesn't need replacing. I will make a point of driving the car more regularly.

Lexus investigated the issue and reported 'faulty tailgate motor' which they quote ~£1k to replace (ouch!!). My car probs isn't worth more than £7k if I am lucky ...... hence I'd like to try every other option before I spend anything like that  kind of money! If it does turn out to need a PBD motor then I'll look for second hand as well.

Might also need a new 12v Battery, anyone got recommendations? Current one was fitted at manufacture so it has done very well but may now need to be replaced. RAC and Lexus quoted around £150 but I'm happy to replace myself if I can purchase cheaper.

Again, thanks in advance ... now back to reading the next 4 pages! 😄  

5 hours ago, LexusRX450h2009 said:

I know this is an old post and I'm working my way through the pages of comments however in the meantime @Herbie please could you send me your notes on this issue? Much appreciated in advance!

Just sent you a PM Sarit.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/29/2020 at 12:30 AM, Herbie said:

@Nick2020 I've just sent you a PM that may be of use in solving the problem.

Could you sent me the same information because i have the same problem with my trunk door.

On 3/5/2022 at 7:30 PM, Herbie said:

Just sent you a PM Sarit.

Could you sent me the same information because i have the same problem with my trunk door.

5 hours ago, MKingLT said:

Just PM'd you now MK.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
22 minutes ago, AnimalFarm said:

Good evening,

I seem to have the same problem as all the other members. I've tried most, if not all, possible solutions.

@Herbie Could you please share your info with me?

Much appreciated!

PM just sent to you Meneer.

Ordered a new unit with Burjauto on Monday & received today. 

Change out is rather straight forward, thanks to the advise I found here, regarding the partial removal of the headliner.

Needless to say, but al works well again.

The old unit looks like new, no traces of moisture, corrosion or anything else.

Unit was € 410,-   Sending € 72, and import duties € 135,- Which brings the total on € 617,-

Dealer quoted € 1501,- incl VAT.

20220908_182119.JPG

20220908_172235.JPG

Almost forgot, I took it to the Lexus dealership, and the fault code was B2222.

Faulty Power Back Door ECU (Power Back Door Motor Unit)

Power Back Door ECU harness is open or shorted

Power Back Door ECU circuit poor electrical connection

Read more: https://www.autocodes.com/b2222_lexus.html

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links