Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX400h catloc vibration

Anyone had vibration problems after having a Catloc fitted?

My catalytic converter was stolen on Monday 20/1 and before I have it replaced I thought I'd order a Catloc for the car. I ordered the part from lexuspartsdirect and have received an email stating, 

"We have been made aware of a small number of instances where this kit can cause a vibration when the vehicle is being driven. There is presently no solution to prevent this vibration, however, Lexus are in development to create one. Once the solution has been homologated it will be rolled out to all owners of this lock free of charge."

and asking if I wanted to proceed with the order.

Has anybody had this Catloc fitted and if so did any vibration problems occur?

Got my rx400h back today after the catalytic converter was stolen two weeks ago, got the catloc fitted by Lexus and the noise is not great, large amount of noise in low speeds, more bearable at higher speeds. Lexus mentioned some people are paying to have the catloc removed! 

It doesn't surprise me that there's an increase in noise and vibration after fitting a catloc.

Something that is designed to attach a cat as firmly as possible to the car to avoid theft is bound to add some noise and vibration into the cabin. If it wasn't as firmly attached, then it would be easy to steal the cat.

Manufacturers go to great lengths to isolate the exhaust from the body using rubber mounts. Of course you can't rubber mount a catloc because thieves will just cut through the rubber mount and still steal the cat.

I'm not sure what the solution is unfortunately. Possibly a substantial steel sheet/under tray bolted under the car that covers the cat to deter thieves so they move on to an easier target?

Not sure if there are mounting points under the car on the subframe etc. to do that, but at least with security head bolts it would be hard to remove and provide some security. If you design it right you can say it's a bash plate for your hard-core offroader? Although being an RX that might be a hard sell. :-D

I agree, adding weight to the exhaust system is likely to cause unwanted effects.  The answer has to be a way of encapsulating the cats allowing some tolerance for movement so the exhaust system does not come into contact with more than present fixings.  Whilst alterations to the floor pan could be made to enable this on new cars, it would be much more difficult to do this on existing cars

• 5 months later...

Had my catloc fitted today. 

Gone from driving a magic carpet to driving a cross between a washing machine and a diesel railcar!!

Vibration, clunks and all manner of other noises. 

Really unhappy. Hopefully Lexus will resolve soon. 

John B. 

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, iwonder said:

New Catlock as mentioned aboveca601d4e3f6c26560f4272957aedce9f.jpg&key=1f074c2bee9440519ca9cefcc1299649b44c02af0e487744c134b37995ccd650

How much is the new CatLoc fitted? Is it too early to know whether it is an effective deterrent or are reports good!?

Apologies if off topic but are RX450H's less vulnerable due to recessing the cat or A.N.other design change?

i have previously mentioned that cat theft has put me off an RX400H, a car that is otherwise my #1 choice 😞

1 hour ago, SlowV6 said:

How much is the new CatLoc fitted? Is it too early to know whether it is an effective deterrent or are reports good!?

Apologies if off topic but are RX450H's less vulnerable due to recessing the cat or A.N.other design change?

i have previously mentioned that cat theft has put me off an RX400H, a car that is otherwise my #1 choice 😞

I have a Toyota Auris hybrid and have fitted a steel plate from eBay. I had 16mm steel bars welded either end to make it harder to cut through and once fitted, body filled over the fixing bolts. Hope it works. If it is stolen I wouldn't claim on the Insurance, as even if you decided to sell the car after fitting new cat, what you would get for it would probably pay for 2-3 replacement cats. I would then have made a custom cat cover in 10mm stainless steel with rebar bars instead.

As I have an extended warranty I would have to fit a genuine cat.

I also quite like the Lexus RX400H and if not in warranty I would be free to fit a non genuine cat. Around £180 on eBay I believe.

James👍

My worry is not just the cost of a replacement cat but the hassle of getting one and having it fitted. 

I couldn't do it myself and even my local village garage has 10 day waiting list for any work, two weeks for MOTs. 

Then there's the problem about driving home and then to garage with open exhaust. 

• 4 weeks later...

Had new model Catloc fitted today. No more vibration or rattles. Magic carpet ride has been restored. 

Substantial stainless steel cage. Looks to give far better protection than the previous model. 

Good response from Lexus in resolving issue. 

• Like 2

I'll see if I can get a photo.

I had mine from Lexuspartsdirect.co.uk and had local garage fit. I've had a few items from Lexuspartsdirect.co.uk and their service is really good. Very helpful and speedy delivery. 

• Like 1

Haven't been far enough yet to get the exhaust fully hot but no vibration,  etc. so far. Clearances to exhaust pretty tight in some places as intended to stop you pulling cat out of cage. Hopefully clearances will remain under heat and engine movements. 

I'll be happier parking it at Tesco now. 

John B. 

I've had the new type of catlock fitted at a Lexus dealership couple weeks ago to my rx400h. It's causing all kinds of clanking and banging when driving over any kind of bumpy surface. Took it back and they said that's how it is... It's going in for a service next week and I've asked them to look at it again. If there is no improvement I'm pondering removing it and going with the straight pipe idea... 

Sorry to hear that StevieK. I was concerned as the clearances are very tight in places. I suspect that all exhausts may not be identically aligned. 

Mine still ok but I've heard what I think is a minor potential exhaust rattle when going very slowly down a steepish gradient with the brakes applied. 

I've had this a couple of times now but can't replicate it intentionally. 

Whilst I don't like any rattles I'll live with this occasional short lived rattle rather than have the cat nicked. 

John B. 

On 7/22/2020 at 6:40 PM, John B. said:

Had my catloc fitted today. 

Gone from driving a magic carpet to driving a cross between a washing machine and a diesel railcar!!

Vibration, clunks and all manner of other noises. 

Really unhappy. Hopefully Lexus will resolve soon. 

John B. 

I suffered exactly this. Had Lexus remove it instantly within 1 hour ...so effectively drove out of the dealership and straight back into them !! Fully removed and naturally fully refunded. Total joke product that 1st Gen Cat Lock. I have since had a bespoke metal cage welded around the Cat which doesn’t touch it - so no issues whatsoever. Lexus first tried to blame my car’s exhaust - then admitted there are very well known issues with the CatLock. Lexus Master Tech initially didn’t realise that the CatLock was the reason for the noise and vibration !! Astonishing.

• 3 weeks later...