Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX 450h Shock Absorbers

Hi all,

We have a 2012 RX450h Luxury which has covered 110,000 miles. Drives lovely, but wondering whether the shock absorbers will be in need of replacement around now? The ride can be a little harsh on rough roads, especially at the rear. That said, it doesn’t wallow around or bounce excessively. We need to change the rear tyre this year, they’re old Dunlops, so perhaps that’s part of the issue?

Had a couple of ours replaced at 110kmiles (2011 RX) this was due to some leakage in them - must admit I didn't notice much difference in anything in the ride after they were replaced. As you say the ride can be a wee bit rough, ours seems to ride best when four up and full of luggage.

Is there any signs of oil around the top of the shocks where chrome shaft leaves the body? If so this is a sure sign that they are on the way out. Other than that there is little to go wrong. This assumes that you do not have air suspension.

John.

One front shock absorber on my RX400h had been leaking for almost a year. Replaced both front ones with genuine Lexus replacements from lexuspartsdirect.co.uk. Night and day difference, both high speed compression bumps (potholes) and slow speed compression stuff (speed bumps)

5 hours ago, jevestobs said:

We need to change the rear tyre this year, they’re old Dunlops, so perhaps that’s part of the issue?

Change the Dunlops ASAP and that will sort your problem. 

Dunlops are known to wear Strangely and you may also have a noise like worn wheel bearings. I had exactly the same issue on my 2015 Advance and a set of Cross Climates did the trick. 

• Like 1

I have recently changed mine on a 2009 RX450h with 82,000. After buying the car I was disappointed by the bouncing over bumps and pot holes. I replaced the shocks with standard shocks from Lexus parts direct, £55.20 each + £50 to fit by my local garage.

I think the ride is a bit better but not great. Fine on flattish roads, if the car is loaded up it also rides very well. On poor local roads, I still notice the bouncing, but not quite as bad as it was.

https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-rx/lexus-rx-phase-iii-2009-2015/lexus-rx-2009-2015-steering-suspension/lexus-rx-phase-3-rear-shock-absorber-for-3-5l-petrol-hybrid/