Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

CT - annual servicing with low mileage

Basil

Following this thread last year, I bought a 1-year-old 2018 CT.  It had its first annual service at 7,400 miles just before purchase.  

The CT is run alongside our family van, doing 50% of our annual mileage (about 8k miles across the van and CT).  Mostly, this consists of short urban trips and some longer runs where a van would be less suitable.  The CT will probably be showing 11,400 miles on the odometer by the time it's due an annual service this March.

I see that the CT's 20k / 2-year service is quite steep at £400 and the scope of the "full 20" service seems a bit overkill given that the car will probably take another 2 years again before reaching 20k miles! 

Perhaps I'm answering my own question because I always diligently care for cars (no expense spared) and I know it's about age as much as mileage... but has anyone else taken a more flexible attitude to the Lexus service schedule?  

5 minutes ago, Basil said:

Following this thread last year, I bought a 1-year-old 2018 CT.  It had its first annual service at 7,400 miles just before purchase.  

The CT is run alongside our family van, doing 50% of our annual mileage (about 8k miles across the van and CT).  Mostly, this consists of short urban trips and some longer runs where a van would be less suitable.  The CT will probably be showing 11,400 miles on the odometer by the time it's due an annual service this March.

I see that the CT's 20k / 2-year service is quite steep at £400 and the scope of the "full 20" service seems a bit overkill given that the car will probably take another 2 years again before reaching 20k miles! 

Perhaps I'm answering my own question because I always diligently care for cars (no expense spared) and I know it's about age as much as mileage... but has anyone else taken a more flexible attitude to the Lexus service schedule?  

I think that diligence and flexible are mutually exclusive Basil.My GS only does 6000 max each year, but it always receives its annual service from Lexus.

You can always take out a service plan which will cushion payments and which are fixed for the duration of the agreement.

• Like 2

Servicing a car at the dealers that only does low millage's, and based on time only is both wasteful of lubricants and filters, and in general only benefits the coffers of the dealer. If safety is your concern take the car to your local mot station, and ask them to do an mot. If you are concerned the engine oil will deteriorate in the period before it becomes due on miles take it to a local trusted garage, and ask them to do an oil, and filter change.
There is nothing else that requires changing till the 60,000 mile service.
The only problem with doing this is any affect it has on your guarantee, but if the oil and filer or any materials used are of Toyota/Lexus specification the guarantee cannot be voided.

John.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

I think that diligence and flexible are mutually exclusive Basil.My GS only does 6000 max each year, but it always receives its annual service from Lexus.

You can always take out a service plan which will cushion payments and which are fixed for the duration of the agreement.

Hi we have a service plan our car is 2014 and we only cover about 5k miles a year and it’s way cheaper to have a service plan. Also if you are thinking of reselling your car later on having a service completed every year at lexus will maintain the resale value. On average you will save around £100 between pay as you go vs service plan. Furthermore additional items such brake fluid and other extra items will also be included compared to pay as you go. Also do remember that the hybrid health check is also included in each service compared to buying it individually. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Britprius said:

Servicing a car at the dealers that only does low millage's, and based on time only is both wasteful of lubricants and filters, and in general only benefits the coffers of the dealer. If safety is your concern take the car to your local mot station, and ask them to do an mot. If you are concerned the engine oil will deteriorate in the period before it becomes due on miles take it to a local trusted garage, and ask them to do an oil, and filter change.
There is nothing else that requires changing till the 60,000 mile service.
The only problem with doing this is any affect it has on your guarantee, but if the oil and filer or any materials used are of Toyota/Lexus specification the guarantee cannot be voided.

John.

Yes John, fair comments, but do not overlook the fact that any warranty will be voided unless the owner can EVIDENCE that Toyota /Lexus materials and practices have been used and followed. 

Yes, I thought that would be said!

Money isn't an issue... it's just a query / observation that it seems like a lot of scope of a low annual mileage.  I'm used to VW Group cars! 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links