Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm not happy!

Some scrote has tried to get into my car. It looks like some ring-wearing oik from where the scratches are. They say the first scratch hurts, and whoever came up with that wasn't wrong. Why oh why oh why didn't I shell out £40 for the door handle protectors?  

20200125_142423.jpg

I feel your pain. 

The best way to disguise I have found with silver will to be to gradually fill the scratches with paint on the end of a cocktail stick or a very fine artists brush. Build it up gradually cutting back the excess with a fine abrasive polish. 

Lexus silver is unfortunately one of the worst colours to touch in. Fortunately being on the curved area behind the door handle I think if you are patient and do it gradually it will blend in very well. 

I Had a scratch on the lower door area on my silver 2015 RX that I missed when I bought the car and that when touched in couldn't be seen unless you looked very hard for it. 

Good luck in fixing it. 

Just now, olliesgrandad said:

Lexus silver is unfortunately one of the worst colours to touch in.

Good luck in fixing it. 

Just my luck eh 😞 I shall give it a go anyway. I don't think I got any touch up paint with the car so a jaunt to Halfords this morning could be on the cards. From now on, I'm not leaving the car where I can't see it!

As I said in my previous post filling the holes a little at a time is your best option. 

The pearlescent white is another tricky colour to touch in ( you've no doubt worked out that I've owned both). 

Strangely the Mercury Grey seems much better to touch in. I Bought a touch up set from Lexus Parts Direct and whilst waiting for it noticed a chip in the drivers door edge. Went through my collection of touch up pencils and put some Ford Seal Grey on it. 

Match is so good I can't find where it was now.. 

• Like 1

You don’t have to pay £40 for the Lexus parts, just check out amazon and you’ll find rolls of 3M film much much cheaper and you’ll be able to make your own.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Paint-protection-mm-Clear-8591E/dp/B0017SBH10/ref=sr_1_6?crid=31MKZSL5427IR&keywords=3m+film+paint+protection&qid=1580054810&sprefix=3M+film%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-6

• Like 1

5 hours ago, C Mclean said:

You don’t have to pay £40 for the Lexus parts, just check out Amazon and you’ll find rolls of 3M film much much cheaper and you’ll be able to make your own.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Paint-protection-mm-Clear-8591E/dp/B0017SBH10/ref=sr_1_6?crid=31MKZSL5427IR&keywords=3m+film+paint+protection&qid=1580054810&sprefix=3M+film%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-6

An excellent idea - thank you, especially given the poor reviews which the Lexus offering gets. Order placed - for £11 it's worth a try. I'll go down the wrap route if I'm too inept to protect the other doors with this while I repair the scratch on my door.

My week gets worse. The alloy eating kerbs in the Peterborough Queensgate Centre car park claim another victim. 

When I got my first Lexus in 1999, I made a vow to never take it into the Queensgate car parks. 21 years and 4 Lexi on, I thought perhaps I could manage without clouting a wheel on the kerbs. Alas no.

2020-01-27 16.47.22.jpg

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, rich1068 said:

The damage on this car! Leave it in a layby, set fire to it and claim on the insurance.

I think you're onto something here. I've had it less than two months and I'm not treating it very well am I?

The 3M tape suggested by @C Mclean has arrived. As long as it's not sub zero tomorrow (I've got Man Flu - not far off that Coronavirus thing I'm sure) I will wash the car and put some on the three so far pristine handle recesses.

I also wondered whether there were any spare wheels on eBay to replace my wounded nearside front. It has gone now, but the Lexus eBay store had an 18" F Sport wheel at a price which indicated it was £480ish for one. I naturally assumed that this was a mistake and it was for a set of four, but umm..... was it?

i dont know why we are all surprised with lexus prices we will always be overcharged and ripped off by lexus because they can.

here is a link from jayson's post regarding the cost of a door mirror glass

how can lexus justify the replacement cost..... simply put they can't

15 minutes ago, 200h said:

i dont know why we are all surprised with lexus prices we will always be overcharged and ripped off by lexus because they can.

here is a link from jayson's post regarding the cost of a door mirror glass

how can lexus justify the replacement cost..... simply put they can't

Having been relieved of £700 for a replacement back exhaust section for my IS250, I shouldn't have been surprised.

This was surprising though (I haven't checked all the details, but it looks ok at first glance). Roll up, roll up. For the price of just over two single wheels from Lexus, you can have, wait for it, not one, not two, not even three, but four, yes four new wheels which look pretty much identical. With tyres.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-Winter-Alloy-Wheels-Snow-Tyres-18-For-Lexus-IS-300h-Mk3-13-19/392495922169?fits=Car+Make%3ALexus|Cars+Year%3A2018&hash=item5b62947bf9:g:WrAAAOSwCB1dsFxw

It was a search for winter tyre fitted spares which prompted all of this. 

17 minutes ago, 200h said:

here is a link from jayson's post regarding the cost of a door mirror glas

That's just nuts - £183 for a mirror after all that detective work? I'm off to buy some cotton wool to wrap my car in.

when i had a CT i wanted a auto dimming rear view mirror lexus wanted £660 without the wiring plug

i bought a 2nd hand auto dimming mirror off a honda accord for £25 as it fitted on the windscreen mount,

when i sold the car i sold the mirror for the same amount.

5 hours ago, 200h said:

when i had a CT i wanted a auto dimming rear view mirror lexus wanted £660 without the wiring plug

i bought a 2nd hand auto dimming mirror off a honda accord for £25 as it fitted on the windscreen mount,

when i sold the car i sold the mirror for the same amount.

Strange how this is now an “Optional Extra” when it was a standard fitment on my LS400 back in 1994, only reason profit margins.