Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS450H Hybrid battery dying - Car cuts out while driving

@OldTrout Yep, already took that advice, just waiting for the new Battery to arrive so he can fit it.

I was going to get the old battery reconditioned and I discussed this and this problem with him and he advised
he thought the old Battery was likely pretty far gone and needed replacing.

Saw quite a few people recommending him here which was why I decided to go with him.

I'm just a bit worried about getting the car to him with having to go round the M25 and it shutting down.
Fingers crossed cleaning the vents might help!

I’ve not read the entire thread but my GS also did the same when we got it. I had to rebuild the Battery. I then had to do it again a year later due to corrosion on all the washers which sit over the Battery nuts, so this time I made a How To video. If any one decides to do it themselves the video is on You Tube.

Sounds good Nicky but with no link to find it on Youtube, would you just copy the Youtube URL and paste it directly into here please?

Just literally paste it into the main text box where you're typing your message and don't use the link button so that it'll show up straight away in the forum.

Cheers

On 2/1/2020 at 6:58 PM, NickySB said:

I’ve not read the entire thread but my GS also did the same when we got it. I had to rebuild the battery. I then had to do it again a year later due to corrosion on all the washers which sit over the battery nuts, so this time I made a How To video. If any one decides to do it themselves the video is on You Tube.

Hi Nicky, 
   Just to confirm, it did the exact same thing including cutting out while driving it?

If thats the case, you've just made me very happy since a replacement Battery will solve it and I'll have a very lovely fully working car!!!

Please do post the video link, I'm going to take the back off this weekend so it would be very useful if you could post the video so I can
can see how to do it right.

Thanks

Steven Lockey

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve 

yes it would drive for around 5 minutes then die - would have to pull over, wait a bit, restart it then do it again- this happened when we bought it and due to buying private we had to drive it home - an hours drive- 5 mins at a time on the quietest roads. 
PITA! 

Thanks for replying!

That sounds almost exactly the same except I can restart mine straight away and it generally lasts a lot more than 5 minutes,
so sounds like your's was just in a worse state than mine is. That reassures me alot!

Already got a replacement Battery on order from Richard at Hybrid Battery solutions from the recommendations here,
will put the old Battery on E-bay for people to buy, so should reclaim a lot of money from the new Battery that way. I would guess
the majority of the 80 cells in it are probably fine and can be reconditioned by the various companies with the equipment to
do it properly.

Just waiting for the slow boat from china with the new Battery now! 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone, much appreciated!

Richard fitted my new Battery today and it drove back down to London beautifully.
Much better than on the way up, where it cut out 4 times on the drive, including once
when I was overtaking a lorry (scary as hell!)

So much nicer now its not doing that.

I was mildly satisfied with how the car was performing before, but its like a completely
different animal with the new Battery, the accelerator is much more responsive and it
handles cruising on the motorway far better AND I got nearly 40mpg on the way home,
up from ~27 previously!

Strongly recommend Richard at hybrid Battery solutions to anyone who has any issues
with their hybrid batteries.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links