Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

In December 2019 I purchased a 2016 NX F Sport with a genuine 12000 miles on the clock. I love the vehicle in every respect bar one - MPG. No matter how I drive I can achieve no more than 31.5 mpg. Is this normal or is there something wrong?????

I drive my NX & achieve 34.5 mpg on rural roads in single figure temperatures.

Check your tyre pressures are spot on, let your engine always reach operational temperature before you start driving your car & never bury your throttle to overtake.

If I need good acceleration I change to Sport+ & swoosh by.

Tel

50 minutes ago, FCEV said:

In December 2019 I purchased a 2016 NX F Sport with a genuine 12000 miles on the clock. I love the vehicle in every respect bar one - MPG. No matter how I drive I can achieve no more than 31.5 mpg. Is this normal or is there something wrong?????

I have a 2018 NX Luxury and have recorded full tank to tank fill ups from new. I have never got as low a return as 31.5mpg and average has been 41.42 over 17500 miles. Highest so far 46.32 and lowest 34.07. Time of year makes significant difference with the winter months tending to see consumption in the high 30's and summertime seeing mid 40's. Usually drive in normal mode and only occasionally eco and sport. Journeys are a mix of local urban and Motorway. Like you I think it is a superb car - but one where gentle acceleration does help its economy. Follow the tips on hybrid driving as they are helpful. Happy motoring! 

• Like 3

Assume it's a 300h, and not a 200T? There are several older threads about 300h fuel consumption in the forum; 31.5 mpg is at the thirsty end of the ranges reported. I've averaged 41 mpg overall (typically 43 in summer, 38 in winter). 

@FCEVThat's very low based on everything I've read both on this forum and elsewhere.

I'd expect mid-30s minimum at this time of year unless a) you've got a very heavy right foot; b) you're doing a lot of high speed motorway miles, or; c) you live in a very hilly area and need to use the throttle a lot to make progress.

Over the 15k miles I've now completed I'm averaging 39.8mpg, which has dropped this Winter from 42 (ish) mpg in September.

19 hours ago, Martin J said:

Assume it's a 300h, and not a 200T? There are several older threads about 300h fuel consumption in the forum; 31.5 mpg is at the thirsty end of the ranges reported. I've averaged 41 mpg overall (typically 43 in summer, 38 in winter). 

The figures quoted by Martin are pretty much what I'm seeing too. I acquired my NX in July so didn't get the full spring \ summer temperature "boost" but the car was still averaging around 40 mpg before we hit autumn. I'm seeing less mpg now that we are in mid-winter and it seems to have bottomed out at 38.5 which I'm reasonably happy with. Motorway runs definitely have an adverse effect on mpg.

• Like 2

Fuel consumption is a difficult one because it is dependent on so many factors. Temperature, road quality and gradient, road type... and the driver.

I don't drive with economy in mind and cover around 20k miles per year, 30% of it motorway driving. I never use ECO mode, and I always use Sport mode on the motorway and 'fast' roads. 

My arevage is around 33 mpg.

I also have a 2016 NX, but Premier, not F-Sport. My average is around 34mpg over the last 9 months since I bought the car. I fill brim to brim and log all my mileage too. I’ve had a Prius Gen II prior to that for 10 years and used to get just over 50mpg over its lifetime with me on a 10 mile commute.

One factor not fully explored is the length of your commute. Mine now is a 7 mile trip morning and evening on A roads, max 60mph, which I adhere to, using cruise control. It takes about 10 minutes and the car is probably warmed up 4 or 5 miles into it.

I have tried all sorts of tricks to improve my fuel consumption, such as trying to hypermile it and switching to EV mode as soon as I got into a 30 mph zone. Results were minimal improvements and before winter I was getting 35 mpg.

Last fill up was just under 30 mpg, but the car only had very short (1 or 2 mile) trips.

I do notice though that on longer distances, I can get close to the mpg figures others have stated here. I tend to get 38 mpg on a 20 mile or so journey, some of which is motorways. 

Conclusion is I think, different strokes for different folks Short trips hammer mpg, longer ones improve it, provided you don’t thrash it on a motorway. 

My advice is to view the Lexus YouTube video on driving hybrids. 

I always fill and check tankful to tankful. 

I have a phone app that records my figures. 

For sure the NX300h isn't as good on fuel as my RX450h but this is my 4th Lexus hybrid so I have plenty of practice driving economically. 

I refuelled today and my mpg was 36.6mpg. 

13 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

My advice is to view the Lexus YouTube video on driving hybrids. 

I always fill and check tankful to tankful. 

I have a phone app that records my figures. 

For sure the NX300h isn't as good on fuel as my RX450h but this is my 4th Lexus hybrid so I have plenty of practice driving economically. 

I refuelled today and my mpg was 36.6mpg. 

What mileage are you doing a week Les?

13 minutes ago, LexusIS300h said:

What mileage are you doing a week Les?

Between 250 to 600 miles a week. The last tankful was a 170 mile round trip to Shropshire including 100 miles of motorway, the rest A and B roads with quite a bit of city driving. The previous tankful was my best so far at 38.85mpg.

This RX is much better on fuel than my 2015 gen 3 car. 

Oh and I'm running on regular supermarket petrol. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

Between 250 to 600 miles a week. The last tankful was a 170 mile round trip to Shropshire including 100 miles of motorway

Thanks, that sort of fits in with my mpg at decent daily miles. The more you travel the better the mpg, up to a point. I did a trip to Surrey last year, over 100 miles each way and got over 38 on that tankful, but little trips kill my mpg.

Still, for the size of car, my 34mpg is acceptable. Your 38 on a larger car is brilliant 👍

2 hours ago, LexusIS300h said:

Still, for the size of car, my 34mpg is acceptable. Your 38 on a larger car is brilliant 👍

Don’t want to upset you but my 2014 IS300h f sport was definitely better than the RX on petrol and my 2015 GS300h was better than the IS300h strangely.

With the is I rarely used eco, and sport only for overtakes or junctions. 

Tankful to tankful is how I check my consumption using a phone app. That way I know its accurate in the real world. 

41 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

Don’t want to upset you but my 2014 IS300h f sport was definitely better than the RX on petrol and my 2015 GS300h was better than the IS300h strangely.

It’s ok, I know the IS is better mpg, I had one before the NX and convinced myself the inferior mpg was a good trade off for the comfort and ride height of the NX. 

5 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

Between 250 to 600 miles a week. The last tankful was a 170 mile round trip to Shropshire including 100 miles of motorway, the rest A and B roads with quite a bit of city driving. The previous tankful was my best so far at 38.85mpg.

This RX is much better on fuel than my 2015 gen 3 car. 

Oh and I'm running on regular supermarket petrol. 

^^ That's very impressive @olliesgrandad

When I had (two) RX450h for a number of weeks I struggled to get more than 32mpg, dropping as low as 28mpg on the motorway. My NX achieves at least 6-8mpg more on the exact same commute.

3 hours ago, LexusIS300h said:

It’s ok, I know the IS is better mpg, I had one before the NX and convinced myself the inferior mpg was a good trade off for the comfort and ride height of the NX. 

Sorry I've lost the plot. For a moment I thought you were talking IS300h fuel figures and have just realised it is NX. 🌻🌼🌷

Your figures for the NX are about right from what owners have told me. 

I wanted an NX to replace my GS but my back didn't 😞

On 2/2/2020 at 10:56 PM, olliesgrandad said:

I am rather surprised by this given that the NX is the lighter car and has a 4 cyl rather than V6 engine.

On 2/4/2020 at 12:16 PM, DanD said:

I am rather surprised by this given that the NX is the lighter car and has a 4 cyl rather than V6 engine.

My dealers service guys advised me that I would be be close to the  NX for economy when I was considering which car to buy and that would appear to be the case especially with the great performance. I am looking forward to the summer to see how much the warmth will help 

The new WLTP testing is quite accurate - the NX is rated at 35.3 mpg, you should be able to achieve that over a tank provided you aren't just doing 2 mile journeys and the weather isn't below zero.

The NX isn't great on fuel, especially compared to the gen 4 RX which is bigger and more powerful yet has almost the same economy. Unfortunately the NX engine is showing its age.

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

I've had my NX300 since January but thanks to lockdown, I 've only done about 3k miles - still enough to give a verdict on fuel consumption.  In short - if you like driving speedily with your foot constantly on the gas, don't buy this car!  If however, economy is your goal then and you don't mind speed merchants queuing up behind you  I've been employing techniques which are usually getting me over 40mpg.  Just done a 400 mile round trip and got 42.9 mpg with no real difference between urban and town motoring, which I thought was great!

Techniques as follows:

1.  Drive in Eco mode

2.  Little and often on the gas

3.  Use cruise as much as possible

4.  Stick to speed limits (and be amazed that most people don't)

I swapped my Mercedes CLS for this car and originally was wringing my hands at losing the 55mpg it gave me.  However that dropped considerably in town, unlike the Lexus so I now can't be certain that I'm really losing out.  Appreciate this driving style might not be to everyone's taste!

Phil

• Like 2